Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think sometimes we don't recognize when we need to transition a player during development. Petan and Roslo should have been working on a solid defensive game. The offensive skills are more natural they need to be good 2 way players so they can contribute to the bottom 6.
Some players resist dedicating to a defensive emphasis in their games, while others embrace it in a realization that is how to preserve their NHL career.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I think sometimes we don't recognize when we need to transition a player during development. Petan and Roslo should have been working on a solid defensive game. The offensive skills are more natural they need to be good 2 way players so they can contribute to the bottom 6.

I don't think you can equate those 2 guys. One of them is still in the AHL, the other is making 4 million this year and next in the NHL.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Some players resist dedicating to a defensive emphasis in their games, while others embrace it in a realization that is how to preserve their NHL career.
That's true for sure. Sometimes I wonder if we aren't helping the situation. Didn't Petan make a comment about not getting direction from the Jets.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That's true for sure. Sometimes I wonder if we aren't helping the situation. Didn't Petan make a comment about not getting direction from the Jets.
I'm not sure about Petan's comment, but it seems unlikely the organization wouldn't work with him on developing his game as many other players have talked about the direction they were given about what they needed to work on to make it to the next level. My thoughts some players just have blinders on, to what it takes, no matter how things go for them.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure about top 5 but he's pretty damn good

Poised to win another vs the Sens
The Oilers had the great misfortune of having Chiarelli as their GM (proceeded by Tambo, who was also awful).

Bratt is a legit Top 5 NHL player - and the Devils weren't too bad last year, but they were somewhat hampered by their .881 (!) goaltending. They've made some significant additions over the last couple of seasons: Dougie Hamilton and John Marino is quite a defensive upgrade over aged-out PK Subban and Sami Vatanen. Hitting on Hughes and Hischier has also helped a lot.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Devils are a very good team for sure but the Senators were going thru the motions today, it's time to can DJ Smith

It's not DJ Smith.

They're missing some of their best defencemen and the offence hasn't shown up at all. I think they make a trade before firing the coach.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Crimes, Jordie Benn now looks like Ted Kaczynski!

1668901263044.jpeg

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
CBJ fans want to dump Roslovic as a capdump. So his point still stands. If Roslovic could just be normal defensively he'd have a long career as a middle-6 player in this league.
The complaints are the same as they were with the Jets. He is a perimeter player that won’t go to the tough areas. Every once in a while things bounce your way and you have a nice productive night. But most nights nothing good happens and people notice you did little to try and make anything good happen.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Noticed that Nic Petan got the call from the Wild yesterday, after starting the season with 8 points in 5 games with Iowa. Good chance he gets into Wednesday's game against the Jets.

Of all the former Jets players he's probably the one I'm cheering for the most. Hard to say he got much of a chance from Paul Maurice. Since being traded though he hasn't really been able to stay afloat in the NHL.

One thing I noticed from Cap Friendly is he is drawing on a $500 000 AHL salary this year, that's not a bad haul at all, 2/3 of an NHL minimum salary. Didn't realize AHL salaries got that high.
Back in 2009/10, the Moose signed Jason Krog (former NHLer and one of the best AHL players in the league at the time) to 1-year contract for $650,000 as they bolstered the lineup in an attempt to take a serious run at the Calder Cup. There are a decent number of AHLers who can make pretty good bank.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Blues had that losing streak and now they have won 6 in a row. Top of the central is going to be very tough again, as usual. Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg, Blues, Wild (once they wake up).

Its always a long grind of a season and making the playoffs in the West will be tough for the Jets this season without Ehlers. Its good we got off to a hot start, that never hurts. We really need Hellebuyck to play at a Vezina level again this season. So far so good on that front.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Blues had that losing streak and now they have won 6 in a row. Top of the central is going to be very tough again, as usual. Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg, Blues, Wild (once they wake up).

Its always a long grind of a season and making the playoffs in the West will be tough for the Jets this season without Ehlers. Its good we got off to a hot start, that never hurts. We really need Hellebuyck to play at a Vezina level again this season. So far so good on that front.
Boy the Blues sure are an enigma this year, but that's a correction that's not altogether surprising, they've been a playoff team for years now, since the year they traded us Stastny, a proud group, who know how to handle adversity.

Minnesota I'm not sure they will wake up. Losing Fiala has sapped some of their offense. Rossi hasn't stepped up in any way, and is making Perfetti look like a better pick in that draft. Fleury in net has been inconsistent and now injured. With Hartman out they probably have the worst centre depth in the league.

I'll give the fans on here some credit who recognized that Nashville's shooting % of last year was a fluke. If the Jets can keep those two teams in their rear view mirror through November and December I'm optimistic, even if it leaves us battling with the 2 Alberta teams for a WC.

Right now St. Louis is still in the rear view mirror and hopefully can keep them there until Dec. 8, when maybe we can send them on another losing streak.

I agree with you though the backbone of our success is in net.

Reactions: surixon

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Paul Maurice's Florida Panthers get their asses handed to them by the Laine-less and AHL laden Columbus Blue Jackets.
For your viewing pleasure.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
For your viewing pleasure.

The team seems to have good metrics but Paul just isn't getting the goaltending. Not much any coach can do with .780 goaltending.

Reactions: Jack7222

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The team seems to have good metrics but Paul just isn't getting the goaltending. Not much any coach can do with .780 goaltending.

Yeah, he seems to be back to his pre Jet days where he routinely got poor goaltending.

I've watched the Panthers play and they are a very good team at generating chances 5 on 5. They just can't finish or get a save. Special teams are still a mess under him though.

Reactions: JetsFan815
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad