Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not sure that's entirely Maurice’s fault. Their goaltending has been bad. They traded away their top scorer, though Tkachuk does have 18 points.

And eeesh look at their 6 defencemen last night against the Ducks: Radko Gudas, Mark Staal, Brandon Montour and some no names. And they still won the game.

I haven't watched any Panthers games so I don't know just how much impact Maurice has had on that team but management did not put him in a position to succeed this offseason.

Special teams still look static and the pk is still a very passive box that doesn't pressure the pick carrier much.

5 on 5 they look good in the ozone with their speed and size. Defensively they had some hiccups. Hard to say how good they are given how soft their schedule has been. They haven't beat any of the few real good teams they've played and have been outplayed in each of them. I'm curious how they do the rest of the year.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Special teams still look static and the pk is still a very passive box that doesn't pressure the pick carrier much.

5 on 5 they look good in the ozone with their speed and size. Defensively they had some hiccups. Hard to say how good they are given how soft their schedule has been. They haven't beat any of the few real good teams they've played and have been outplayed in each of them. I'm curious how they do the rest of the year.

I think they'll be alright for the year. Knight and Bobrovsky are too good to be putting up .89x sv% and they're missing Ekblad.

I'm sure Maurice's special teams fingerprints are all over the team in a bad way but I do think any kind of failure this year isn't solely on him. Anyone expecting them to be as good as last season was just being unrealistic.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think they'll be alright for the year. Knight and Bobrovsky are too good to be putting up .89x sv% and they're missing Ekblad.

I'm sure Maurice's special teams fingerprints are all over the team in a bad way but I do think any kind of failure this year isn't solely on him. Anyone expecting them to be as good as last season was just being unrealistic.

Agreed. I don't really hate Maurice and think he does some things really well as a coach and some things not so good. The team has more then enough forward talent to get them into the playoffs if their goaltending normalizes.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

yeah there was going to be a drop off in FLA's record this year regardless of who is the coach. teams don't go 115+ pts back to back often (b2b 115+ pt years happened 1x since 2005 lockout, 0x for 120+ pts , 7x for 110+ pts).

they're handedly out-shooting/chancing/scoring the opposition at 5v5. problem is their special teams are pretty bad. the PK was a bit predictable w/ Maurice (9th most PK TOI/gp & 22nd in GA/60), but the PP i don't think should be this bad (1st in most PP TOI/gp, 30th in GF/60). Their SH% is worse on the PP than it is at 5v5, imo that wont last.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
yeah there was going to be a drop off in FLA's record this year regardless of who is the coach. teams don't go 115+ pts back to back often (b2b 115+ pt years happened 1x since 2005 lockout, 0x for 120+ pts , 7x for 110+ pts).

they're handedly out-shooting/chancing/scoring the opposition at 5v5. problem is their special teams are pretty bad. the PK was a bit predictable w/ Maurice (9th most PK TOI/gp & 22nd in GA/60), but the PP i don't think should be this bad (1st in most PP TOI/gp, 30th in GF/60). Their SH% is worse on the PP than it is at 5v5, imo that wont last.

Huberdeau was 1st in PP points for them last year, Ekblad was 5th. Both are missing. Reinhart has struggled. The PP should get better, though I'm not sure it'll get to a top end level.

Reactions: surixon

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
The fact that there were multiple other teams trying to sign him but Boston/Sweeney/Neely alone ended up taking the heat is an example of GM pdo.

I bet those other GMs are thanking their lucky stars right about now.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Huberdeau was 1st in PP points for them last year, Ekblad was 5th. Both are missing. Reinhart has struggled. The PP should get better, though I'm not sure it'll get to a top end level.
duclair is missing as well who was 3rd in goals and 4th in pts. i dont think their PP problems are maurice, he's usually had an above-average PP here, with a couple elite years. how often do teams shoot at a better % when there's 5 defenders vs 4 or less :dunno:.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Why did Montreal draft Mailloux? Must be some parallels here between organizational mindset.
Equally stupid. I think theres enough risk in drafting these players with unsavoury history who are bona-fide picks - but someone who is a longshot to make it, I just do not see the ROI

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Injuries are a part of the game. They're a hard team to figure out.

Florida is playing good hockey but they had a pretty darn soft schedule to start the year in terms of who they have faced and failed to really bank a lot of points. That may come back to haunt them later in the year.

Of course injuries are part of the game, but posters here keep bringing up Jets missing Ehlers. Norris is their 1C, not just some middle 6 winger.

They are in that stage of their rebuild where they have a lot of really good young players who still lack experience. The loss of one key player will hurt them more than it would a more experienced team. Norris is replaced by Shane Pinto who had all of 17 NHL games to start the season.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
General question, is asking for 25-30 goals from your 4th line too much? That is one goal approximately every three games. If the fourth line play 7 minutes a night of even strength this seems realistic.

I will say our fourth line this year has looked like they have the potential to get some goals.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
General question, is asking for 25-30 goals from your 4th line too much? That is one goal approximately every three games. If the fourth line play 7 minutes a night of even strength this seems realistic.

I will say our fourth line this year has looked like they have the potential to get some goals.
Absolutely, especially if we can get healthy and push Toni/ Harkins out. A Gags Sak Thor line should be able to score some.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
damn
NJ @ 3! Wpg@5! Sea@8! TB@10!
It's like I'm living in some Bizarro world

Reactions: wraithsonwings

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
damn

NJ @ 3! Wpg@5! Sea@8! TB@10!
It's like I'm living in some Bizarro world

And now to live coverage of Bettman's reaction to the latest power rankings.

giphy.gif

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
The fact that there were multiple other teams trying to sign him but Boston/Sweeney/Neely alone ended up taking the heat is an example of GM pdo.

I bet those other GMs are thanking their lucky stars right about now.
Not doubting you, but link? I find this very surprising if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad