Around The League Thread | Let the Games Begin

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Stamkos driving off a cliff once he didn’t have Kucherov basically single-handedly floating his production was the most predictable thing ever.

0 points in 4 games.

Everyone made such a big deal that BriseBois snubbed him. Maybe after seeing him play for years, he recognized Stamkos just wasn't worth 8M when Guentzel was available.

Reactions: bossram

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Buffalo is now 1-4-1. I mean how do they do it, year after year.? There's a lot of talent on this team. But something is missing.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Stamkos driving off a cliff once he didn’t have Kucherov basically single-handedly floating his production was the most predictable thing ever.

0 points in 4 games.
Tampa went from Stamkos and Sergechev who make a combined 16.5 million to Guenztel, Moser and McDonagh who make just above 19mil.

Their cup window is solidly slammed shut if they re-sign Stamkos and double down on that Sergechev contract. Love how that franchise operates.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Makar is off to another ridiculous start. 1 goal 7 assists in 4 games, and Colorado doesn't even have a win.

0 points in 4 games.

One of the biggest "what ifs" in modern hockey is if Stamkos didn't break his leg right as he was entering his prime years. That took away about 20% of his speed and reduced him to a PP merchant.

60 goal Stamkos was absolutely terrifying and arguably a better goal scorer than Ovechkin during the same period.

Reactions: MS

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

0 points in 4 games.

And they pick up the 28 year old version of Stamkos in Jake Guentzel effectively for free. That is excellent roster management.

What I don't get for guys who are 34/35 and have won championships and have homes and stuff settled, especially guys who have earned like 90MM+ already, why not just take the cut and keep the good vibes going?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I wonder if the big fans of how Tampa Bay & Vegas operates are also advocating moving ep before July ..

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
tampa is attempting an orderly gradual retool replacing core pieces while remaining a contender. not sure any team has done that in the cap era. very few have ever done it.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I wonder if the big fans of how Tampa Bay & Vegas operates are also advocating moving ep before July ..

this team traded horvat and never looked back. i think they were serious about moving ep40 before they re-signed him and probably still would for the right deal.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

if the deal is there sure? i don't even think pettersson is that big a problem but nothing should be off the table for a well run team

i doubt there's value though. no one is going to take on that contract without sending a ton of money back and if your perception is that the pettersson contract is bad you probably need to take bad money back

Reactions: Hodgy and Vector

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
And they pick up the 28 year old version of Stamkos in Jake Guentzel effectively for free. That is excellent roster management.

What I don't get for guys who are 34/35 and have won championships and have homes and stuff settled, especially guys who have earned like 90MM+ already, why not just take the cut and keep the good vibes going?

Cause some pro-sports players have massive egos and want to accumulate as much wealth as humanly possible. Look at Ronaldo along with some well accomplished players going to Saudi Arabia.

Really makes me respect the Yzerman's and Sakic's of the previous era that would take short 1 year deals to remain with their respective clubs.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
just noticed the canes have only played two games (one postponed due to milton), while the devils (started the season in europe) have played seven.

wild discrepancy two weeks into the season lol

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Pride. Greed.

Also, I suspect that agents regularly talk their clients into poor life decisions for greater $ because they want their 3% of the largest pie possible.

Tampa are run like a machine.

I said at the time, acquiring Moser was a steal and will continue to feel that way.

Moser is a better player than Sergachev.

That deal was basically the Bonino-Sutter trade (except somehow even worse) where Arizona gave up the better, cheaper player AND included a top prospect to make it happen.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

0 points in 4 games.
Swapping Stamkos for Guentzel was a masterful move for Brisebois.

People who thought this was some kind of big add for Nashville really don't know puck. I bet them to miss the playoffs pre-season.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Swapping Stamkos for Guentzel was a masterful move for Brisebois.

People who thought this was some kind of big add for Nashville really don't know puck. I bet them to miss the playoffs pre-season.

Stamkos has basically been an ES boat anchor for the last two years with a broken motor who doesn't track the play back defensively. But because he played with Kucherov he was still able to fake his way to 80 points based on that and PP utility.

That he got 4 years/$32 million was absolutely insane.

I figured he'd probably put up 25-25-50 with a -20 this year and that might actually end up being generous.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Stamkos has basically been an ES boat anchor for the last two years with a broken motor who doesn't track the play back defensively. But because he played with Kucherov he was still able to fake his way to 80 points based on that and PP utility.

That he got 4 years/$32 million was absolutely insane.

I figured he'd probably put up 25-25-50 with a -20 this year and that might actually end up being generous.
He's been a pure PP merchant for a while. ES anchor like you said. Stamkos actively makes the Preds 2nd line worse.

Wonder how long until they realize it.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad