Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Depends on what you mean by "will never work". I think that people were saying it wouldn't work in terms of it would never be popular/get the fan support. I guarantee you that if Vegas had the first 5 years the Jets 2.0 did versus what they did have (or had Atlanta's beginning) things would be much different in terms of fan support down there. We all know the stories about Florida literally giving tickets away and playing in empty arenas.

I think that professional sports are becoming unaffordable for a large swath of society because of the economic conditions and the ever increasing cost (relative to what people earn/disposable income) of sports.

Also, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the insertion of all the political stuff into sports is turning people off too. Most people want to watch sports to get away from all that stuff and just enjoy some neutral entertainment for a bit.
That is not an unpopular opinion at all. I would say the silent majority agrees 100 per cent, but heaven forbid you don’t support every “political “ (for lack of a better word) cause when you should instead be enjoying escapism entertainment. The “causes” have hijacked every area of life.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That is not an unpopular opinion at all. I would say the silent majority agrees 100 per cent, but heaven forbid you don’t support every “political “ (for lack of a better word) cause when you should instead be enjoying escapism entertainment. The “causes” have hijacked every area of life.
I look forward to the OK Boomer responses from the usual suspects. :sarcasm:

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Someone mentioned on another board that they fully expect Stone to retire this year...

Is his degenerative back condition that bad?
It could be. A healthy back is extremely important.

Thanks for your comment about me during the SC final game. I laughed just thinking about it a day later. And even right now.

Reactions: B33R LEAGUE

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The obsession with jersey numbers. Matthews, Marner, Bratt.

Good deal for NJ. Wonder what that means for Meier.
I bet he’s leaving as a UFA. Seems that he was never traded with an extension as earlier suspected by many among us.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
WOW! Great deal for NJD if hey sign him at that dollar and term. Makes the Marner contract look even worse in comparison.

Why does ir make it look worse? Not that I like the Marner deal but he's essentially been a 90 plus point player for the last 5 years and Bratt has a career high of 73. Marner outscored him by 26 points this past year. They really aren't comparable.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Why does ir make it look worse? Not that I like the Marner deal but he's essentially been a 90 plus point player for the last 5 years and Bratt has a career high of 73. Marner outscored him by 26 points this past year. They really aren't comparable.
Would you have Marner at his contract or Bratt at his deal? To me it is not even close. I don't think the difference in these players is big enough to have that big of a cap difference. The Bratt contract also buys many more UFA years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Would you have Marner at his contract or Bratt at his deal? To me it is not even close. I don't think the difference in these players is big enough to have that big of a cap difference. The Bratt contract also buys many more UFA years.

No idea who I'd rather have. I just don't see the two players as comparable. It's like asking who'd you rather have Dubois or Mathews imo.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Exactly. Why should sports be used as a propaghanda vehicle for the military. ie) military appreciation games, players coming out in camo gear, hundreds of thousands of free tickets to military personal each year

I've never understood the reason for constantly celebrating the military at North American sports events. Let's put an end to this.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
How were the Canadian ratings ?

According to wiki .... November 2013, Rogers reached a 12-year agreement. So it's up for renewal in 2 years. Wonder how that will go.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How were the Canadian ratings ?

According to wiki .... November 2013, Rogers reached a 12-year agreement. So it's up for renewal in 2 years. Wonder how that will go.

Pretty sure it was the least watched finals in Canada ever.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Depends on what you mean by "will never work". I think that people were saying it wouldn't work in terms of it would never be popular/get the fan support. I guarantee you that if Vegas had the first 5 years the Jets 2.0 did versus what they did have (or had Atlanta's beginning) things would be much different in terms of fan support down there. We all know the stories about Florida literally giving tickets away and playing in empty arenas.

I think that professional sports are becoming unaffordable for a large swath of society because of the economic conditions and the ever increasing cost (relative to what people earn/disposable income) of sports.

Also, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the insertion of all the political stuff into sports is turning people off too. Most people want to watch sports to get away from all that stuff and just enjoy some neutral entertainment for a bit.
Las Vegas was actually a brilliant choice for expansion - and I've been saying this for years.

It's a large - and growing - city. Well over 2 million people and probably going to crack 3 million in the next few years. When Selanne first suited up for Jets 1.0, Vegas was smaller than Winnipeg is now, just to give some perspective to the rate of growth there.

The NHL was the first major pro league to put a team in Las Vegas. There really is a some special affection for the team in the hearts of Las Vegans. Plus the team was a rallying point of civic pride after the worst mass shooting in US history (and that's saying something) took place just down the street at the start of their inaugural season. The Golden Knights are special.

Also, they're in a beautiful arena in the heart of the strip. The plaza out front leads into a park lined by pubs and restaurants (imagine if Portage avenue was one big walkable party plaza from Main street to the front door of the arena instead of a broken concrete stretch of Dollaramas, 3rd rate hotels, parkades and junkies). It's amazing.

And hey, if the locals maybe aren't too fired up about a Tuesday night game in January against the Jets or Blue Jackets? Well, the arena will be full of visiting fans anyway. Imagine as a VGK STH being able to sell your tickets for face value+ for even the crappiest game...not just when the Leafs and Habs come to town? Goodness!

Anyway, it's a goldmine and would be successful whether or not they managed to put contenders out every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad