Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
For Stone, $9.5 million is a bargain. Chef will want $10 million.

I've always hated Las Vegas. It's a tasteless, guady monument to American consumerism and ignorance. It's a cultural wasteland where everything in an overpriced, tacky rip off of something better from a real place somewhere else.

The fact that NHL players would want to live in that classless, exhausting shithole makes me question their character tbh.
Never been there but it sucks for sure. All the same it's no better or worse than living in Winnipeg for a player. It's temporary while you make your millions.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I've always hated Las Vegas. It's a tasteless, guady monument to American consumerism and ignorance. It's a cultural wasteland where everything in an overpriced, tacky rip off of something better from a real place somewhere else.

The fact that NHL players would want to live in that classless, exhausting shithole makes me question their character tbh.

It's not just the Strip. It's turning very family friendly recently. Lots of nature stuff around there too.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Interesting that this Cup final was the 2nd least watched Cup finals ever with an average of 2.72 million viewers. The actual lowest was the Canucks vs. Rangers cup finals in 1994 which averaged 2.31 million viewers which it is figured was likely because of ESPN's broadcast. Even the Kraken vs. Stars 2nd round series averaged more viewers with 2.75 million.

Reactions: hn777

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Interesting that this Cup final was the 2nd least watched Cup finals ever with an average of 2.72 million viewers. The actual lowest was the Canucks vs. Rangers cup finals in 1994 which averaged 2.31 million viewers which it is figured was likely because of ESPN's broadcast. Even the Kraken vs. Stars 2nd round series averaged more viewers with 2.75 million.
Suspect hockey markets in the final combined with one of them being a league pet probably turned a lot of people off, that’s my guess at least

Reactions: buggs

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
People in Vegas and Florida didn't want to watch hockey in June?

Crazy

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
For Stone, $9.5 million is a bargain. Chef will want $10 million.

Never been there but it sucks for sure. All the same it's no better or worse than living in Winnipeg for a player. It's temporary while you make your millions.

Someone mentioned on another board that they fully expect Stone to retire this year...

Is his degenerative back condition that bad?

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Crazy
Yup, the NHL will never work in Florida or Las Vegas!

McCrimmon isn’t an NHL level GM!

two things I remember reading on HFBoards Jets years ago!

Someone mentioned on another board that they fully expect Stone to retire this year...

TNSE, the fans, his fellow teamates would be more than happy if the Wheezer decided to pack it in!

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
therein is the difference between Chevy and mccrimmon in my opinion. KM has that nose for this stuff. He did it in Brandon.

chevy, while I think overall is a good GM and better than most in the league, is conservative to a fault at times, as illustrated by your post
The wild part too is guys on this board have isolated some of these players who have later been traded for cheap. I specifically recall posters mentioning McCann, Dunn, Toews, Bennett as good buy low candidates before they were traded. There is definitely more examples of it out there. You have to think that the Jets brass who do this for a living should be able to pick up some of these players. Just one of those players dramatically changes the Jets outlook right now.

Looking around the league this playoffs has really opened my eyes to the gaps in our management.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
This is such a pretentious take. Good ol Canadian consumerism right? Considering how many Canadians visit Vegas every year. Come on.
I acknowledge that many people (including many Canadians) like Las Vegas. All I'm saying is that anyone with any sense of taste or decency would not.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

Is his degenerative back condition that bad?

He will "retire" until the playoffs, and be a back again just in time for round 1 after finding god and having a miraculous cure. Really scientists around the world should study Stone to see how his injury cycle seem to exactly line up with playoff dates.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Why? Whats wrong with fun? Sorry we can't all be boring like you.
I've had plenty of fun, in Vegas and elsewhere. Mostly I'm just ribbing people because F Vegas!

That said, Las Vegas is not my personal taste. I find it exhausting, obnoxious and culturally vacant. I can't imagine living there especially in contrast to the many other great cities of America that have more to offer than fake landmarks, washed up performers and overpriced franchise celebrity chef restaurants.

Reactions: RabidOne

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I've had plenty of fun, in Vegas and elsewhere. Mostly I'm just ribbing people because F Vegas!

That said, Las Vegas is not my personal taste. I find it exhausting, obnoxious and culturally vacant. I can't imagine living there especially in contrast to the many other great cities of America that have more to offer than fake landmarks, washed up performers and overpriced franchise celebrity chef restaurants.
Fair enough.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It's not just the Strip. It's turning very family friendly recently. Lots of nature stuff around there too.
Yes the skeletal remains discovery center just outside and all around town and Lake Meade walking trails ( formerly the glass bottom boat tour) :sarcasm:

Reactions: sipowicz

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yes the skeletal remains discovery center just outside and all around town and Lake Meade walking trails ( formerly the glass bottom boat tour) :sarcasm:

Reactions: macmaroon

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Well it's interesting considering the Habs vs. Bolts final actually had more American viewers.
Interesting fact, but there are more minor hockey players in US than Canada due to their 10X+ population

Also, isn't Tampa generally considered a better market than Sunrise? And how many ex-pats living down there are Habs fans?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Crazy

Well it's interesting considering the Habs vs. Bolts final actually had more American viewers.

Interesting fact, but there are more minor hockey players in US than Canada due to their 10X+ population

Also, isn't Tampa generally considered a better market than Sunrise? And how many ex-pats living down there are Habs fans?

I'm sure the markets had some impact, but a larger impact is the Finals were exclusively on a cable channel with less reach and coverage than when they've been broadcast on ABC and ESPN. A significantly large number of US households get ESPN compared to TNT so you're drawing from a smaller pool to begin with. The Habs and Bolts get a higher number because more people are actually able to tune in at home to watch it.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Maybe people are sports weary?
Regular seasons are way too long and playoffs drag on way too long.
Ticket prices are ridiculous for all sports IMO.
I saw empty seats at a few NFL venues last year so I think all NA leagues are seeing some drop off attendance and interest.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yup, the NHL will never work in Florida or Las Vegas!

McCrimmon isn’t an NHL level GM!

two things I remember reading on HFBoards Jets years ago!
Depends on what you mean by "will never work". I think that people were saying it wouldn't work in terms of it would never be popular/get the fan support. I guarantee you that if Vegas had the first 5 years the Jets 2.0 did versus what they did have (or had Atlanta's beginning) things would be much different in terms of fan support down there. We all know the stories about Florida literally giving tickets away and playing in empty arenas.

Maybe people are sports weary?
Regular seasons are way too long and playoffs drag on way too long.
Ticket prices are ridiculous for all sports IMO.
I saw empty seats at a few NFL venues last year so I think all NA leagues are seeing some drop off attendance and interest.
I think that professional sports are becoming unaffordable for a large swath of society because of the economic conditions and the ever increasing cost (relative to what people earn/disposable income) of sports.

Also, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the insertion of all the political stuff into sports is turning people off too. Most people want to watch sports to get away from all that stuff and just enjoy some neutral entertainment for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad