Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I've always hated Las Vegas. It's a tasteless, guady monument to American consumerism and ignorance. It's a cultural wasteland where everything in an overpriced, tacky rip off of something better from a real place somewhere else.

The fact that NHL players would want to live in that classless, exhausting shithole makes me question their character tbh.
Yes Character building for a 24 year old. Lots of opportunities for outdoor activities etc.

I would love to live in vegas.

Spent time in Macau when I was young. Vegas is better.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Wpg can also make moves the Vegas can too

What precludes them in finding potential breakout guys or throwaways like Stephenson, Karlsson, Marchessault, Smith etc? Even FLA with Carter V, Forsling, Montour etc.

Wpg barely makes player trades in the off-season and miss me with the NTC bc all those players had none. They can't get by on just draft - and-develop bc frankly it's not a distinct competitive advantage for them.

Well not having an expansion draft precludes us from getting a Marchessault or Karlsson. I understand the point you're making but those teams still needed a little extra to get them over the top. Where are Vegas without Stone, or Pietrangelo, or Eichel?

Look at their D, best top 6 in the league in my view. Pietrangelo, signed. Martinez, signed. Theodore, traded but there was lots of chatter around him going to Vegas specifically at the time. Whitecloud, chose Vegas over Winnipeg as Ken Wiebe reported late last week. McNabb was the expansion draft. They found a lot of guys through trades like you identified, but they're not championship caliber without the guys I mentioned.

Florida hadn't won a game in the 2nd round since 1996 until Matthew Tkachuk arrived, on the back of a trade on which he said he'd only extend in 2 or 3 markets. Verhaege and Montour were on that team last year.

I definitely think Chevy needs to be a bit more aggressive in filling the holes but those aren't championship level deals without the extra sauce to get you over the top. There are occasional exceptions on a season to season basis, but otherwise that's how the league works right now.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
basically KM has done a better job of managing vegas than chevy has done with the jets the last 4 or 5 years despite vegas being "gifted" all that star talent tho not being able to win the cup the past 5 years...the jets were there for a season and looking promising and then the wheels fell off and chevy wasnt able to or didnt care to grasp the reality of the issues regarding the team and deal with them accordingly. So a team being gifted star talent is not an excuse for the jets to hide behind for not being a competitive team since they have proved otherwise is possible with proper management....but since then have the jets been managed properly or has a blind eye been turned to issues that have been evident with the team a number of times
idk maybe I'm not thinking about this the right way but I would think it would be a lot easier to manage a team if I was given star players for free, but I guess I am wrong and it should be easier in a market that has players requesting to leave

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
basically KM has done a better job of managing vegas than chevy has done with the jets the last 4 or 5 years despite vegas being "gifted" all that star talent tho not being able to win the cup the past 5 years...the jets were there for a season and looking promising and then the wheels fell off and chevy wasnt able to or didnt care to grasp the reality of the issues regarding the team and deal with them accordingly. So a team being gifted star talent is not an excuse for the jets to hide behind for not being a competitive team since they have proved otherwise is possible with proper management....but since then have the jets been managed properly or has a blind eye been turned to issues that have been evident with the team a number of times
Not sure how Vegas was gifted stars? Expansion draft got them like 4-5 2nd line level players and then a bunch of bottom 6 guys. If they were gifted a whole whack of stars they would've been projected to be way better out the gate by consensus. I wonder what this boards initial thoughts were of the 17-18 Vegas team 🤔. Those said players developed chemistry and broke out in a significant way. Karlsson wasn't even a top-6er to start. Their top 6Cs were Eakin and Lindberg. With Sbisa and Engelland occupying top 4 spots LOL.

They traded for stone and eichel. Eichel was particularly a high cost, and Brannstrom evidently was supremely overhyped and they capitalized on it. That's not gifted.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
To me, and I could be wrong for this assumption, but if players are available for free pickings at the expansion draft, I'd think you'd be able to acquire them via trade? The team losing them atleast gets something instead of nothing is my logic. So even FLA or CBJ getting middling picks for Marchessault or Karlsson is >>> nothing :dunno:. Although then it does occupy your own protection slots so that'd need to be take into consideration for sure.

Vince Dunn is another example. Or McCann. Two players reportedly on the block or in McCanns case traded multiple times, but then gone for free. Would STL or TOR taken atleast something for them?

I don't disagree about the stars. they traded high costs for eichel and stone so its not like they got them for nothing and were evidently high contributors. For WPG that will likely have to come via draft since our GM doesn't make a whole lot of player trades outside the TDL.

But if I'm going to take away something that that WPG could benefit from both of these teams is finding those unwanted, or unheralded players for peanuts and them becoming key contributors. The stars likely will have to come on their own unless WPG can trade for them which is unlikely for a multitude of reasons (availability, chances of signing etc)

Well not having an expansion draft precludes us from getting a Marchessault or Karlsson. I understand the point you're making but those teams still needed a little extra to get them over the top. Where are Vegas without Stone, or Pietrangelo, or Eichel?

Look at their D, best top 6 in the league in my view. Pietrangelo, signed. Martinez, signed. Theodore, traded but there was lots of chatter around him going to Vegas specifically at the time. Whitecloud, chose Vegas over Winnipeg as Ken Wiebe reported late last week. McNabb was the expansion draft. They found a lot of guys through trades like you identified, but they're not championship caliber without the guys I mentioned.

Florida hadn't won a game in the 2nd round since 1996 until Matthew Tkachuk arrived, on the back of a trade on which he said he'd only extend in 2 or 3 markets. Verhaege and Montour were on that team last year.

I definitely think Chevy needs to be a bit more aggressive in filling the holes but those aren't championship level deals without the extra sauce to get you over the top. There are occasional exceptions on a season to season basis, but otherwise that's how the league works right now.

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
To me, and I could be wrong for this assumption, but if players are available for free pickings at the expansion draft, I'd think you'd be able to acquire them via trade? The team losing them atleast gets something instead of nothing is my logic.

I don't disagree about the stars. they traded high costs for eichel and stone so its not like they got them for nothing and were evidently high contributors. For WPG that will likely have to come via draft since our GM doesn't make a whole lot of player trades outside the TDL.

But if I'm going to take away something that that WPG could benefit from both of these teams is finding those unwanted, or unheralded players for peanuts and them becoming key contributors.
florida left marchessault exposed so vegas would take smith, if they traded him to another team then vegas either doesn't take smith like they wanted or they would have to had give something else for them to take smith, theodore was also traded to vegas in order for them to take stoner and not take manson + vatanen

maybe some of those guys could have been traded for because they were left exposed but then those teams were going to lose something else off their roster

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
florida left marchessault exposed so vegas would take smith, if they traded him to another team then vegas either doesn't take smith like they wanted or they would have to had give something else for them to take smith, theodore was also traded to vegas in order for them to take stoner and not take manson + vatanen

maybe some of those guys could have been traded for because they were left exposed but then those teams were going to lose something else off their roster
Or we trade for both Smith and Marchessault :sarcasm:.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Unbenannt.JPG

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Chevy didn't have the war chest of futures Vegass was gifted nor did he have the luxury of a lineup of players wanting to play there. Think of it this way, only 1player on their roster is a home grown draft pick. Chevy made runs at Stone, Whitecloud, and offered Pietroangelo a contract as a FA. They all declined to come here.

The chance a team can replicate what Vegas did is incredibly slim.
It is less than slim, it is zero. We are about to lose our first home grown core never mind attracting the league’s top free agents. What happened in LV will never happen in Winnipeg. Our only hope at a cup is get bad enough quick enough to draft a couple franchise players and a young team comes together quick enough for a couple years of contention before the stars are able to seek out greener pastures.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
No doubt the Jets, even Seattle, or any team for that matter, will never have the surplus value Vegas got to start with and has cushioned them from feeling the heat of mistakes.

But let's be real here. The Jets could have traded for Eichel like any other team out there. Guy was signed long term with no trade protection. Just wanted to be able to have the surgery his doctor recommended.

Reactions: sipowicz

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Yeah, the only thing that's going to make it better is when the Manitoba boys ( that wouldn't play for the Jets if you held a gun to their heads ) come home to parade the Cup around Manitoba this summer.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Congrats to the Manitoba boys on achieving an amazing feat.

Happy for the Manitoba guys.

I know people hate Vegas but

Wouldn't it be cool if the Jets could corral a few mercenary Manitobans and have them actually send it on home ice in front of more Manitobans?

Crazy vibe, I guess, and in the face of reality, so it boils down to sentiment.

But still, wouldn't it? :)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
No doubt the Jets, even Seattle, or any team for that matter, will never have the surplus value Vegas got to start with and has cushioned them from feeling the heat of mistakes.

But let's be real here. The Jets could have traded for Eichel like any other team out there. Guy was signed long term with no trade protection. Just wanted to be able to have the surgery his doctor recommended.

Actually, we couldn't trade for Eichel because that would have put us over the cap.... Oh wait...sorry I forgot you can go over the cap because the NHL doesn't care about the cap.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yup, they have destroyed teams in 4 of 6 elimination games they've played.

Didn't like Bones's comments then and they aren't looking much better in light of what has transpired since.

Yeah I don't see Maurice ripping his team. He'll likely make excuses about Tkachuk being out or something.

I still think Bones was justified, because it wasn't a comment made in a vacuum or about one single bad game. It was the culmination of half a season of no push-back.

And just because other teams also crumpled like a single-ply toilet paper when the chips were down vs Vegas doesn't make it any better that the Jets did IMO.

Re: Maurice, I think a team that won 13 games in the playoffs deserves some slack. No need to rip them over running out of gas in the finals when they already way overachieved (WRT what was expected of them). So I think it's comparing apples to oranges to try drawing any comparison between Round 1 Jets flameout and SCF Panthers collapse.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I still think Bones was justified, because it wasn't a comment made in a vacuum or about one single bad game. It was the culmination of half a season of no push-back.

And just because other teams also crumpled like a single-ply toilet paper when the chips were down vs Vegas doesn't make it any better that the Jets did IMO.

Re: Maurice, I think a team that won 13 games in the playoffs deserves some slack. No need to rip them over running out of gas in the finals when they already way overachieved (WRT what was expected of them). So I think it's comparing apples to oranges to try drawing any comparison between Round 1 Jets flameout and SCF Panthers collapse.

I was only making a point that the Jets weren't the only team that didn't "push back" in an elimination game against Vegas. That was all.

Anyways this topic has been beat to death, many of the players fans attribute with the do your own thing schtick won't be back next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad