Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
agreed.

to me roslovic's game never fit at C. he'll score points b/c he has skill and is a good play maker and is a good skater, but as far as 200 ft game, defensively, and playing the middle of the ice i never saw at his strengths. although he had good-play driving traits, i don't think he was ever a good play-driver of a line which is something that imo a C would normally take on. i found him to be more of a passenger of a line, here at least.
whenever that "Roslovic 2C?" thread came up id smirk a bit. just b/c he had a solid showing at wing doesn't really sway me at least if he will be fit to center a line.

maybe as a 3C though as you mentioned similar to how kerfoot has been with toronto in previous years. and then fill in the top-6 sparingly. but lowry was fine in 17-18 (roslo's rookie year), so i understand why they went w/ lowry again in 18-19, maybe they should've been a bit more open to giving roslo a 3c opportunity that year as lowry's play was not as good :dunno:.

at the time though we had scheifele and little.... little was a 40 pt c but still better than roslovic. roslovic could've gotten an opportunity in 19-20 when wheeler filled in at c, but wheeler was fine and probably better there than roslovic. roslovic did get top-6 opportunities here (again 19-20 w/ wheeler, ehlers & 18-19 w/ little, laine) but the production never took off. i will says a 30ish pt bottom-6 player which was roughly his pace his first two years would still be a welcome addition. but it is what it is. our RW through his first 3 years were wheeler and laine, so no permanent spot for top-6 rw either.

I don't think Roslo is a top 6 player. I see him as a 3rd liner who can move up for short periods as an injury replacement.

I have always looked at that trade as Laine for PLD and Roslovic for the 3rd. I know it doesn't necessarily break down exactly that way, but close enough. So we got Danny Zhilkin for him. Zhilkin looks promising. He could end up being better than Roslo. At least there is a chance of that. Zhilkin is making me feel better about that part of the deal.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it's a fine line. Where do you make the decision that a player is not NHL ready? Kovi got some looks and he got TC as well where it looks as if the coaching staff saw enough that they waived him.

If I walked onto the Jets TC and was cut, would people whine that I wasn't given a chance to show what I could do? I know that is a ridiculously extreme example, but it's meant to make a point. Looking at the way Kovacevik has returned to earth (and Comrie for that matter), it seems like the experts may, just MAY have made the right decisions.

I know this is a wee bit OT but with Comrie specifically, I think many of us wondered if his solid run of 15 games last year was a bit of smoke and mirrors. Sure, he made some good saves and had a couple of really nice performances, but I also remember a lot of luck for him in some of those games. I think his size and mobility was exposed to a certain extent, and imo those are the things that made him a suitcase tweener up until last year, and it's whats made him today pretty much exactly what he always has been, a slightly below average backup.

You're right, that is a ridiculously extreme example. He "got some looks", 4 games last year and he was OK, as good as, or better than, some others who have been given a lot more. They also had 3 seasons with the Moose, the last 2 playing very well defensively and starting to score a bit too.

No one is expecting him to be a star in Mtl, just a defernsively responsible 3rd pair Dman. Which it appears he is. Comrie has had a couple of weak games after a hot start. It remains to be seen where he is going to settle out. He still has better sv% than Rittich.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Roslovic wanted his opportunity, and he wanted to play at home. He's getting both of them and languishing as you expect. I don't miss him in the slightest.

I really don't miss him. Never have. Though I kept hoping he would take the next step. I always felt that the return was a little light.

Reactions: Heldig

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Nothing ruins an almost perfect start to the season like a major HR faux-pas.
You know, if this dude made any effort to actually apologize for what he did and tried to better himself then I’d be more inclined to give him a second chance.

From what I remember, he’s done none of that. Pretty embarrassing that the Bruins are signing him.

Reactions: Jets 31 and SLAYER

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You're right, that is a ridiculously extreme example. He "got some looks", 4 games last year and he was OK, as good as, or better than, some others who have been given a lot more. They also had 3 seasons with the Moose, the last 2 playing very well defensively and starting to score a bit too.

No one is expecting him to be a star in Mtl, just a defernsively responsible 3rd pair Dman. Which it appears he is. Comrie has had a couple of weak games after a hot start. It remains to be seen where he is going to settle out. He still has better sv% than Rittich.

Buffalo is just going through their traditional really hot start where people say "Are they for real this year?" before they lose like 9 in a row.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

You saw a defensively responsible 3rd pair dman last night?

If you did we should just stop discussing this topic right now.

I saw a player that got ate up over and over, made stupid decisions and just didn't belong. He makes Stanley look like Zdeno Chara

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Love watching the Canes play, hard working crew.
They don’t give you time and space.

None

Feb 22, 2012

Patrice Bergeron in particular rents a suite for youth with special needs and has been pretty active in anti-bullying campaigns, and puts his money where his mouth is for anti-racism campaigns. So the Bruins just signed a guy who bullied a black kid with special needs and hadn't apologized directly to the kid until a week before he signed with an NHL team. I imagine Patrice Bergeron will probably be obliged to put out a statement on it at some point.

The player they signed checks all the boxes that Bergeron would be against and the court process found that the player in question showed zero signs of remorse. The player still hasn't sent the court mandated apology letter to the victim and only publicly apologized directly to the victim via an instagram post a week ago. When he was first eligible for the draft he sent an apology to all 31 teams but still hadn't sent that apology to the victim.

What an embarrassment for the league and the Bruins.

Edit: Turns out Bergeron already put out a statement through an interview with Friedman. Sounded like a pretty weak "both sides" type of statement to me.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I have nothing but respect for Patrice Bergeron. As the current face of the franchise, you know that he felt obligated to do the interview with Friedman. He had no say in the signing at all, and was probably one of the ones that asked why they needed to sign him. This is all on Cam Neely and Don Sweeney. Their pointy little heads. I doubt anyone other than Mitchell Miller is happy about this. I wonder what his teammates will think about it.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Patrice Bergeron in particular rents a suite for youth with special needs and has been pretty active in anti-bullying campaigns, and puts his money where his mouth is for anti-racism campaigns. So the Bruins just signed a guy who bullied a black kid with special needs and hadn't apologized directly to the kid until a week before he signed with an NHL team. I imagine Patrice Bergeron will probably be obliged to put out a statement on it at some point.

The player they signed checks all the boxes that Bergeron would be against and the court process found that the player in question showed zero signs of remorse. The player still hasn't sent the court mandated apology letter to the victim and only publicly apologized directly to the victim via an instagram post a week ago. When he was first eligible for the draft he sent an apology to all 31 teams but still hadn't sent that apology to the victim.

What an embarrassment for the league and the Bruins.

Edit: Turns out Bergeron already put out a statement through an interview with Friedman. Sounded like a pretty weak "both sides" type of statement to me.
I expect sponsors will get pressure here. I believe TD is a big bruin sponsor.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think Roslo is a top 6 player. I see him as a 3rd liner who can move up for short periods as an injury replacement.

I have always looked at that trade as Laine for PLD and Roslovic for the 3rd. I know it doesn't necessarily break down exactly that way, but close enough. So we got Danny Zhilkin for him. Zhilkin looks promising. He could end up being better than Roslo. At least there is a chance of that. Zhilkin is making me feel better about that part of the deal.
I like that way of looking at the trade. I pop by the Columbus board occasionally, more so to see how Laine is doing but Roslovic is talked about quite a bit. He seems to be getting a lot of the same criticisms he got in Winnipeg. Being inconsistent and primarily a perimeter player that needs to be with line mates that will do the dirty work. I don't really seeing us missing him much.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You saw a defensively responsible 3rd pair dman last night?

If you did we should just stop discussing this topic right now.

I saw a player that got ate up over and over, made stupid decisions and just didn't belong. He makes Stanley look like Zdeno Chara

I didn't watch him closely enough to say anything, one way or another.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Habs board said it was his worst game yet. From what I saw he was not very good. Hopefully for him just an off night.
I don't want to shit too much on the guy, I don't dislike him at all and as I've said I'm happy he's getting what's likely his final shot at the nhl.

Part of last night performance may be him trying to do too much to prove the Jets wrong, but the stuff I saw from him suggests that he's just not at the nhl level, not that he just had an off night.

If I was to wager I'd bet he'll be back with the Moose by the end of the year if the Jets want to reclaim him

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Boston was my team when the Jets left, I am appalled with the signing of Miller. I hope that the organization is also looking to help out his victim as well. F—k that team.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
I have nothing but respect for Patrice Bergeron. As the current face of the franchise, you know that he felt obligated to do the interview with Friedman. He had no say in the signing at all, and was probably one of the ones that asked why they needed to sign him. This is all on Cam Neely and Don Sweeney. Their pointy little heads. I doubt anyone other than Mitchell Miller is happy about this. I wonder what his teammates will think about it.

Yeah Bergeron is a legit good guy who has been a community as well as team leader for a very long time now. I can't imagine this sits well with him or a number of other Bruins players, including Pasternak and (dare I say it) Marchand and Foligno, etc.

Just a terrible move from many perspectives for a team who was going to do just fine without the headache and the legacy it's likely to leave. Just ugly all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad