Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
“Obviously didn't want to take a five-minute penalty, but when the game happens fast, emotions are high," Benn said. "Obviously I would've liked to not fall on him, and I guess use my stick as the landing point."
Translation: I didn't want to talk to you people but the team is making me do it, so I'm just going to be as f***ing facetious as possible. :nod:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hopefully you'd be able to get one your yyyy in the PLD deal as a cost controlled player with top 6 upside. If they could play centre, it would take some pressure of perfetti

I think Barron Lowry Apples is your 3rd line in perpetuity so you'd be looking for a 4th line winger in FA

Well if they deal Dubois to Boston maybe they go for DeBrusk plus Lysell or something. Gives you a gritty middle 6 player and a potential long term top 6 RW. I hope they aren't married to Appelton on line 3 he's not good enough.

So revised:

Conner Scheifele Nino
Debrusk Perfetti Ehlers

A good compliment of grit, speed and skill on both lines

Barron Lowry yyyy
Xxxc Name Appelton

Maybe Harkins in a more offensive 4th line with a C like name would play well.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
We have an interesting dynamic here as multiple players have said they won't sit through a rebuild and multiple players have said they think our core is a cup contender and that they want to be on a cup contender. So I'm guessing if management decides to pony up they will stick around but if one domino falls the rest will follow suite and demand a trade or want out.

The ball is likely entirely in TSNE's court right now and I don't think they have the stomach to move on from this core. So I expect them to resign both Scheif and Helle ASAP, move on from Dubois and be back on the wagon of trying to find another 2C whether that is in house or on the UFA/trade market. They'll likely give Bones as much rope as he needs and if he has any kind of prolonged failure (not making playoffs for a couple seasons in a row) they will move onto the next coach.

TSNE is about as conservative as they come in this sport. They are completely averse to making changes and they certainly aren't in favor of making changes for the sake of making changes. All that matters is the revenue. So until they start seeing an even bigger decline in attendance and potentially no playoff revenue they will not make any changes. Status quo is what they want.

The fans see this season as a crossroads but I don't think TSNE see's it that way at all. They see it as buisiness as usual. Try and try and try to sign the guy that wants out and then trade him at the last possible second. Sign the guys that want to keep giving it a shot as soon as you possibly can. Rinse and repeat.
I got so irritated reading this because I believe you are so correct :mad:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
So... Let's say Vegas wins in 4. Let's now say Vegas wins the Cup at least let's say "confidently in 6" (honestly wouldn't shock me to see another 2-0 or 3-0 start for them against the Panthers either, I'm at least 90% confident Vegas will win the series).

Does this change anything about the Jets effort in Round 1? Losing to the apparently clear and deservingly Stanley Cup Champs of 2023 Playoffs?

I mean if you look at it from a bit of distance one could then totally argue

Round 1: Jets at least won Game 1 and were REALLY close to win Game 3 in OT. Pretty decent for a WC team vs the best team in the playoffs. If they get the toss up in Game 3 and then lead the series 2-1, everything can happen honestly.
Round 2: Oilers have McDrai and Ekholm. It was supposed to be their year and they only won 2 games.
Round 3: Well... 4-0. Stars current core must be devastated. (assuming it ends this way)
SCF: Beating the "team of destiny" with Tkachuk and Maurice to make them the ultimate villain. Job done, Vegas!

In hindsight, the Jets don't look that pathetic anymore at all, one could argue?
Chevy and Mark Chipman, " Guess we better run it back with the same core next season just to be sure!"

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Boston has like zero cap so I'm not sure why they keep being mentioned here.

Debrusk makes a bit but not as much as PLD would so, if Boston was a destination maybe you see PLD plus Stanley let's say for Debrusk Swayman Lysell and a cap dump.

If I'm the Jets tho and 55 and 37 agree to extensions, I'm happy as f***. To me, if you can sign those 2, you just need to retool a bit. You trade them Dubois and Wheeler, ya it's a rebuild.

If I'm Chevy and Chipman I ask mark and helle their thoughts first cuz it really does depend on them doesn't it.

Bottom line it like Stone Cold Steve Austin

If mark and helle want to be here, I sign them and retool. If they don't, I rebuild and move 55 37 26 pld and everyone on expiring contracts who don't wanna be here or don't fit my rebuild (demelo Dillon) and opinions and rumors and he said that she said are all irrelevant

Last edited:
Reactions: WpgSteve

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
He just doesn't know how to fall properly, that's all! Completely innocent motion of turning his stick horizontal and putting his weight on the stick as he falls.

When I first watched that play, my interpretation was that Benn fell and was using the stick to brace his fall. I take Benn at his word when he says that that's what actually happened.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
When I first watched that play, my interpretation was that Benn fell and was using the stick to brace his fall. I take Benn at his word when he says that that's what actually happened.
considering the only reason he "fell" was because he went for a crosscheck on stone who was laying on the ice his excuse is bullshit

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

His history of cross checking vulnerable players would say otherwise. You're the only person I've seen today who actually believes the "I fell" excuse.

It looks like he wanted to give him a shot in the ribs and his stick rode up Stone's arm (who put them up to defend himself from a cross check while he was on the ice) and into Stone's face. I can believe he didn't want to cross check him in the face but I don't know how anyone other than his mother can believe he was just falling. Crossing your stick across your chest to break your fall is an incredibly unnatural movement.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We have an interesting dynamic here as multiple players have said they won't sit through a rebuild and multiple players have said they think our core is a cup contender and that they want to be on a cup contender. So I'm guessing if management decides to pony up they will stick around but if one domino falls the rest will follow suite and demand a trade or want out.

The ball is likely entirely in TSNE's court right now and I don't think they have the stomach to move on from this core. So I expect them to resign both Scheif and Helle ASAP, move on from Dubois and be back on the wagon of trying to find another 2C whether that is in house or on the UFA/trade market. They'll likely give Bones as much rope as he needs and if he has any kind of prolonged failure (not making playoffs for a couple seasons in a row) they will move onto the next coach.

TSNE is about as conservative as they come in this sport. They are completely averse to making changes and they certainly aren't in favor of making changes for the sake of making changes. All that matters is the revenue. So until they start seeing an even bigger decline in attendance and potentially no playoff revenue they will not make any changes. Status quo is what they want.

The fans see this season as a crossroads but I don't think TSNE see's it that way at all. They see it as buisiness as usual. Try and try and try to sign the guy that wants out and then trade him at the last possible second. Sign the guys that want to keep giving it a shot as soon as you possibly can. Rinse and repeat.

I see this has pretty accurate. I think there is one key piece that will define the direction of the Winnipeg Jets and that is Mark Schiefele. If he is determine to move on then I think we see the dominos fall. If he signs a big new lucrative long term deal then it’s retool with the PLD assets and run it back.

Reactions: surixon

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So a two handed chop to someone’s wrists away from the play is worth a one game suspension. Cross checking a guys head into the ice is worth 2 games. But hit a guy with the puck who happens to get injured? 4 games. :facepalm:
Ever time Chef sees a suspension handed down he must wonder who’s dog he kicked to get such negative treatment from the Dops.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
It's crazy watching this Florida team, with all that depth, despite paying a goalie $10 million/year. Here are some of the transactions they've made in the last few years:

Brandon Montour for a 3rd round pick.
Sam Bennett for a 2nd round pick and a prospect picked in the 2nd round.
Sam Reinhart for Devon Levi and a 1st round pick (that's a good trade for both sides).
Gustav Forsling as a waiver wire pickup.

Those are four key players, in their prime, that were all acquired for reasons having nothing to do with low taxes and sunny climates (though both things likely aided in the eventual contracts these players signed).

As much as Chevy has been solid at drafting and selling off our higher value assets (Kane, Laine, Trouba and Copp all yielded strong returns), he's struggled with trades for players. He has a tendency to trade for players that are already well-established, thus yielding a higher price (Nino, Schmidt, Dillon), rather than players struggling in bad situations about to enter their prime, like the 4 listed above and acquired by Florida.

That's one of the biggest weaknesses that separates some of these conference finals teams from the Jets. There are so many good players that flourish in the right environment. Both Vegas and Seattle (yes, not a conference final team) were entirely built on said players and they've both done pretty good. We need to start identifying them. Outside of Perreault and Demelo, we haven't done it in 12 years.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's crazy watching this Florida team, with all that depth, despite paying a goalie $10 million/year. Here are some of the transactions they've made in the last few years:

Brandon Montour for a 3rd round pick.
Sam Bennett for a 2nd round pick and a prospect picked in the 2nd round.
Sam Reinhart for Devon Levi and a 1st round pick (that's a good trade for both sides).
Gustav Forsling as a waiver wire pickup.

Those are four key players, in their prime, that were all acquired for reasons having nothing to do with low taxes and sunny climates (though both things likely aided in the eventual contracts these players signed).

As much as Chevy has been solid at drafting and selling off our higher value assets (Kane, Laine, Trouba and Copp all yielded strong returns), he's struggled with trades for players. He has a tendency to trade for players that are already well-established, thus yielding a higher price (Nino, Schmidt, Dillon), rather than players struggling in bad situations about to enter their prime, like the 4 listed above and acquired by Florida.

That's one of the biggest weaknesses that separates some of these conference finals teams from the Jets. There are so many good players that flourish in the right environment. Both Vegas and Seattle (yes, not a conference final team) were entirely built on said players and they've both done pretty good. We need to start identifying them. Outside of Perreault and Demelo, we haven't done it in 12 years.

One interesting pattern is both both Bennett and Reinhart were top 5 picks that were ok for the team that drafted them but both needed a change of scenery. In both cases they flourished on their second team. That might be something the Jets look at since those guys were still RFA’s. In a way we did that with PLD I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad