Prospect Info: David Reinbacher - Get Well Soon Edition

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I just don't have the energy to argue tonight, you are not wrong on talent, I think RM was really well liked and a more of a team guy personally. Talent wise, PK of course.. except maybe in his own zone?

Hey I didn't bring up Michkov yet, proud of me?

You
Were
That
Close

:banghead:

• Haha
Reactions: Habs

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Reinbacher deserves way more respect from this fan base. He damn sure didn't ask the Habs to draft him. I have never seen such vitriol from day 1.

It's disgusting. Worst part is. Just like Slaf, the biggest culprits will kiss his ass and celebrate his success when he starts to make plays at the NHL level.

Weasels.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
It's disgusting. Worst part is. Just like Slaf, the biggest culprits will kiss his ass and celebrate his success when he starts to make plays at the NHL level.

Weasels.
Are they supposed to hate the player forever and curse his success just because there's a chance they might be wrong?

I hate that we picked Reinbacher with our pick and he hasn't convinced me i was wrong at all yet. If he does i'll be happy to cheer for him.

Reactions: ReHabs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Reinbacher deserves way more respect from this fan base. He damn sure didn't ask the Habs to draft him. I have never seen such vitriol from day 1.

Carey price was a very unpopular pick on draft day but that quickly changed.

I wonder if that 2005 draft thread is still archived here somewhere.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
How is that the worst part? Lol we're supposed to be haters forever? Why?
We're supposed to dig out heels and never admit we're wrong. And if we do admit we were wrong about something -- like I was wrong about Slafkovsky's development -- we're meant to have that lorded over us so we never admit we're wrong ever again and dig our heels in even deeper the next time.

Weasels.

Pre-draft I preferred Michkov or Benson, quite loudly, but after the draft I was in on Reinbacher and respected his development plan since he wasn’t rushed. The ones harassing him were wrong and f***ed in the head (not dissimilar to the ones smearing Michkov). Think that’s normal and good, no?

I find it hard you dont think the "we only picked Reinbacher because Michkov did KGB things, but otherwise we totally would’ve picked Michkov” undercurrent going around isn’t actually disgusting and disrespectful of Reinbacher and the Habs.

He’s a good kid and a good prospect with a terrible injury.

You were big time in his corner pre-draft, why haven’t you called out these arguments?

Let’s not find reasons to get mad at other fans. We all want the Habs to succeed.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We're supposed to dig out heels and never admit we're wrong. And if we do admit we were wrong about something -- like I was wrong about Slafkovsky's development -- we're meant to have that lorded over us so we never admit we're wrong ever again and dig our heels in even deeper the next time.

Pre-draft I preferred Michkov or Benson, quite loudly, but after the draft I was in on Reinbacher and respected his development plan since he wasn’t rushed. The ones harassing him were wrong and f***ed in the head (not dissimilar to the ones smearing Michkov). Think that’s normal and good, no?

I find it hard you dont think the "we only picked Reinbacher because Michkov did KGB things, but otherwise we totally would’ve picked Michkov” undercurrent going around isn’t actually disgusting and disrespectful of Reinbacher and the Habs.

He’s a good kid and a good prospect with a terrible injury.

You were big time in his corner pre-draft, why haven’t you called out these arguments?

Let’s not find reasons to get mad at other fans. We all want the Habs to succeed.

I think the reality is that Reinbacher was seen as the best prospect not named Michkov after the top 4 and that was seen by majority of the NHL hence the action around the pick and what we know about the teams trying to get the pick.

And that our scouting and management team aren't idiots that are surprised Michkov is a talented offensive player that scores in the NHL. Nobody is surprised Michkov is a good offensive player. It's the easiest call to make.

All of Reinbacher being seen as the next best pick after Michkov, the rarity of tall, smooth skating, right shot defenseman with high upside on the D side of the puck and great transition skills, coupled with the size of the potential forward group, the KHL contract and the fact Michkov wanted Philly and not San Jose, Montreal or Arizona, makes the calculus so that the management group decided that Reinbacher was the pick.

Everyone knew we weren't picking Michkov and they still acted like baboons when the selection happened. Even after the fact, it's all about us passing on Michkov and nothing about San Jose. We know Michkov is a better prospect than Will Smith. So if San Jose, Montreal and Arizona went in a different direction, maybe there's some massive truth to how Michkov played the process. Which he has every right to do. I much prefer what he did to Gauthier who told Philly he wanted to be a Flyer and then made them trade him at a massive loss.

The reason why we don't discuss the merit of Reinbacher is that the other side of the fence won't hear it or have a logical discussion about it. Every time Michkov does something, the worse Reinbacher becomes, I had a guy on Twitter say Reinbacher will never even play for the Habs now. It's so sensationalist.

It's pretty demeaning that people think that the scouting staff and management team are so stupid that they didn't know Michkov was an elite offensive talent. Everyone knew. That isn't a scouting masterclass.

They just looked at everything and made the decision to take Reinbacher. Which is a completely reasonable decision to make when you consider the talent, the rarity of the prospect and what Michkov wanted. Management teams don't generally invest a 5th overall pick on a guy that isn't all in on being a Hab. The reality is if that's the case you absolutely don't want a Gauthier situation where a few years later you have to sell him at a loss because he threatens to extend in the KHL.

It isn't a coincidence that they used the term culture with Reinbacher. It wasn't an attack on Michkovs character. It was a statement that Reinbacher wanted to be a Hab and Michkov wanted to be a Flyer.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I think the reality is that Reinbacher was seen as the best prospect not named Michkov after the top 4 and that was seen by majority of the NHL hence the action around the pick and what we know about the teams trying to get the pick.

And that our scouting and management team aren't idiots that are surprised Michkov is a talented offensive player that scores in the NHL. Nobody is surprised Michkov is a good offensive player. It's the easiest call to make.
Completely correct. You're not being disingenious when you claim that DR was a valid 5OA pick. I also feel the same way and clearly so did the Habs and likely other organisations. This is perfectly fine.
All of Reinbacher being seen as the next best pick after Michkov,
Disagree here -- evidence is they thought DR was preferrable to Michkov.
the rarity of tall, smooth skating, right shot defenseman with high upside on the D side of the puck and great transition skills, coupled with the size of the potential forward group, the KHL contract and the fact Michkov wanted Philly and not San Jose, Montreal or Arizona, makes the calculus so that the management group decided that Reinbacher was the pick.
Disagree -- there is no evidnce that Michkov "wanted" Philly like a UFA wants a team or that he even had the opportunity to pick where he was drafted. He clearly had no choice in the matter. Arizona being turned off by his attitude toward them is its own thing -- keep in mind Arizona is a gong show and they also had Cooley and Keller and likely wouldn't have wanted Michkov over Reinbacher either.

No evidence of any of the rest of the stuff.

Stick to the hockey argument, it's total sound.
Everyone knew we weren't picking Michkov and they still acted like baboons when the selection happened. Even after the fact, it's all about us passing on Michkov and nothing about San Jose. We know Michkov is a better prospect than Will Smith. So if San Jose, Montreal and Arizona went in a different direction, maybe there's some massive truth to how Michkov played the process. Which he has every right to do. I much prefer what he did to Gauthier who told Philly he wanted to be a Flyer and then made them trade him at a massive loss.
I don't agree that Michkov was a better prospect than Will Smith. The KHL/overseas aspect plays into the calculus of picking a prospect. I would've taken Will Smith over Michkov personally and I love Michkov's profile more than basically any other sort of hockey player.
The reason why we don't discuss the merit of Reinbacher is that the other side of the fence won't hear it or have a logical discussion about it. Every time Michkov does something, the worse Reinbacher becomes, I had a guy on Twitter say Reinbacher will never even play for the Habs now. It's so sensationalist.
Be honest -- plenty of 'your side' (needn't be 'your side' but you know what I mean) have trashed Michkov's every aspect down to the last atom. It's par for the course, as they say.
It's pretty demeaning that people think that the scouting staff and management team are so stupid that they didn't know Michkov was an elite offensive talent. Everyone knew. That isn't a scouting masterclass.

They just looked at everything and made the decision to take Reinbacher. Which is a completely reasonable decision to make when you consider the talent, the rarity of the prospect and what Michkov wanted. Management teams don't generally invest a 5th overall pick on a guy that isn't all in on being a Hab. The reality is if that's the case you absolutely don't want a Gauthier situation where a few years later you have to sell him at a loss because he threatens to extend in the KHL.
I agree with you once again -- it's demeaning that people suddenly have to make up excuses to justify (read: cope) about the Reinbacher pick.

There is NO NEED to make anything up or stretch conjecture and speculation. Reinbacher was preferred to Michkov. Simple as. Nothing wrong with that today. We'll only know in a few years if it was a bad call or a catastrophic call or a good call. Totally fine with that. We needed an RD as much as we needed another attacking player and Reinbacher was definitely a worthwhile prospect. On the other side of the ledger, Michkov's not a perfect prospect profile either -- who knows if he'll do well in the playoffs or if he can find separation (due to his lack of speed/strength) or if he'll dedicate his two-way game to being top-line worthy. He has downsides and the overall picture was such that the Habs preferred Reinbacher to him. That's fine.

As for Gauthier, disagree with your angle but it's irrelevant to the discussion.
It isn't a coincidence that they used the term culture with Reinbacher. It wasn't an attack on Michkovs character. It was a statement that Reinbacher wanted to be a Hab and Michkov wanted to be a Flyer.
Culture, attitude, character. All the same: valid but can be over-emphasised to justify decisions made.

Reinbacher wanted to be drafted to the NHL and so did Michkov, no need to speculate about other things.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Weasels.

I aLwAyz l0Ved Re1NbAcheR! He wuZ alwaYz gooDer.

But I disagree with your statement… the WORST part will be they will DENY having ever said what they said about DR.

NGL, I did want Michkov on draft day, but there were a lot of signs, especially draft week, that we weren’t picking him. I mean, it was more obvious that year than the year we picked Slaf.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
For f*** sakes. Can you go complain in the out of town thread. I’m here to learn about Reimbacher not talk the 2023 draft and Michkov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad