Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
With what has become public about his negotiation, he seems like even more of an immature Putz.

I don't think he does. I think it's the opposite.

Shanahan didn't want to budge on money or control. Basically wanted a puppet. Dubas pushed back a bit and we see what Shanahan really thinks.

Also, seemingly the Leafs front office staff isn't too thrilled and their big names all publicly supported him. Going to be interesting over there.

Reactions: surixon

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Shanahan didn't want to budge on money or control. Basically wanted a puppet. Dubas pushed back a bit and we see what Shanahan really thinks.

Also, seemingly the Leafs front office staff isn't too thrilled and their big names all publicly supported him. Going to be interesting over there.
It sounds like Shanahan was a bit miffed that Dubas would say "talk to my agent" and not address him in person, plus his post season presser was a bit over the line as far as the organization was concerned.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You could just promote Chevy up to the "Director of Hockey Ops" role, lord knows this organization needs a barrier between the GM and the owner.
Wait, what? The guy who has been a yes man to Chipman all these years is suddenly going to turn into a barrier? Chipman will just have two people to micro-manage instead of one.

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Robertson scores (finally)

f*** vegas

1684545610034.gif

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It sounds like Shanahan was a bit miffed that Dubas would say "talk to my agent" and not address him in person, plus his post season presser was a bit over the line as far as the organization was concerned.

Negotiations are done with agents and management. That's nothing new. Coaches have agents. Lots of contract workers have agents. That's how it doesn't stay personal. If Shanahan was miffed by that, it says more about his lack of professionalism than Dubas'.

It does sound like his press conference sunk him, though. I think it's Keefe gone for sure, probably at least one of Matthews/Nylander/Marner gone this summer. Probably made it harder to keep Matthews as well.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Would not want Dubas here.
Signing the core players to the 5 year deals wasn’t smart nor was tying up so much money in so few players.
The JT contract is a huge stinker… I remember Leaf fans gloating about JT coming home on a “hometown” discount
Bwahahahaha
Leafs keep on Leafing.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Signing the core players to the 5 year deals wasn’t smart nor was tying up so much money in so few players.
The JT contract is a huge stinker… I remember Leaf fans gloating about JT coming home on a “hometown” discount
Bwahahahaha
Leafs keep on Leafing.

The 5 year thing was a Matthews decision, not a Leafs one. I'm sure they'd have loved to lock him up to 8 but players are pushing to max out their UFA years now.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I really don't know where the Leafs go from here. I'd suggest that among players, agents and staffers alike, there isn't much respect for the Bell/Rogers corporate culture and their axeman Shanny. I think that's a big part of the reason that guys like Matthews, Marner, Nylander bent them over the barrel.

The 5 year thing was a Matthews decision, not a Leafs one. I'm sure they'd have loved to lock him up to 8 but players are pushing to max out their UFA years now.
Matthews was one of the first. This was definitely not normal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yup, simply put it was a negotiation in which neither side was willing to budg so a deal wasn't agreed to. It happens but we are seeing the fall out as by all accounts Dubois created a really good work environment and you are seeing people leave now that he's gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbcwpg

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I really don't know where the Leafs go from here. I'd suggest that among players, agents and staffers alike, there isn't much respect for the Bell/Rogers corporate culture and their axeman Shanny. I think that's a big part of the reason that guys like Matthews, Marner, Nylander bent them over the barrel.

Matthews was one of the first. This was definitely not normal.

He may have been one of the first but it set a trend. Even Heisinger would've pushed for 8 years. That's purely a Matthews decision to bring him exactly to UFA at 26/27.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I'd hire Dubas in a second. He's young, smart, analytical (yes, in every way, lol), well-connected and has been seasoned in the toughest market in hockey. This is the big UFA signing that we need this off-season and one that David Thomson can afford.
After being the GM in the MECCA of hockey that is Toronto, I don’t see him willing to settle in the slums of Winnipeg or TNSE being willing to pony up to the salary demands that he would have.

Dubas will bide his time until a team from a more desirable market courts him and pays him what he wants.

Would be interesting and Winnipeg would be a lot less stressful than the pressure cooker that is Toronto, but I don’t see any way of convincing him to downgrade his and his family’s lifestyle.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
After being the GM in the MECCA of hockey that is Toronto, I don’t see him willing to settle in the slums of Winnipeg or TNSE being willing to pony up to the salary demands that he would have.

Dubas will bide his time until a team from a more desirable market courts him and pays him what he wants.

Would be interesting and Winnipeg would be a lot less stressful than the pressure cooker that is Toronto, but I don’t see any way of convincing him to downgrade his and his family’s lifestyle.

To be fair we really don't know what kind of lifestyle he and his family have.

From an org fit perspective I think he'd fit well in terms of work environment and how he treats staff. Also if he is adamant of getting full autonomy maybe that gets Chipman out of hockey decisions.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Bwahahahaha
Leafs keep on Leafing.
At least he wouldn’t have to worry about hometown heroes coming to play for the JETS because none of them want to. :laugh:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

? He's been an abject failure. What has he done that would convince any team to hire him.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
? He's been an abject failure. What has he done that would convince any team to hire him.

Pittsburgh was reported a couple of weeks ago to prepare to offer him carte blanche to run the team with full autonomy. He's led the Leafs to a very solid string of good regular seasons, I think in any other division they'd have had a lot more playoff success.

Reactions: surixon

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Because that’s how the league operates. It’s constantly recycling the same people multiple times over. Like it or not, that’s just the way it is. It’s the same for coaches.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Pittsburgh was reported a couple of weeks ago to prepare to offer him carte blanche to run the team with full autonomy. He's led the Leafs to a very solid string of good regular seasons, I think in any other division they'd have had a lot more playoff success.
GMs get better with age. Most of his mistakes were done in his first few years.. show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad