Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I'd hire Dubas in a second. He's young, smart, analytical (yes, in every way, lol), well-connected and has been seasoned in the toughest market in hockey. This is the big UFA signing that we need this off-season and one that David Thomson can afford.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Sounds like money was the last straw for MLSE other Dubas front

Seems more like the full autonomy part was the problem to me.

I wonder if Shanahan is a control freak given that he didn't even want Dubas speaking to the media after the playoff exit.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I'd hire Dubas in a second. He's young, smart, analytical (yes, in every way, lol), well-connected and has been seasoned in the toughest market in hockey. This is the big UFA signing that we need this off-season and one that David Thomson can afford.

I would sign him too. But I ddoubt the Jets will meet the dollar figure he wants. It would be a good situation for him and his family here with tons of job security and very little pressure.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You’d have to fire Cheveldayoff first and you know that isn’t going to happen considering he’s got at least 2 years left.
Chipman doesn’t throw out the toothpaste until it’s been squeezed out to the max.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Sounds like he played his hand and Shanny said GTFO, going into a season as a lame duck GM was always going to be his undoing if the Leafs didn't make it at least to the final four if not the Cup finals.
The drama out of Toronto is making the front office look very amateur and “provincial “. I think they all get cleaned out.

Reactions: bustamente

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
You’d have to fire Cheveldayoff first and you know that isn’t going to happen considering he’s got at least 2 years left.
Chipman doesn’t throw out the toothpaste until it’s been squeezed out to the max.

You could just promote Chevy up to the "Director of Hockey Ops" role, lord knows this organization needs a barrier between the GM and the owner.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Elevate to fire hose in short order.

06265f4f-b924-4fb5-b605-87cf8d0bb012_text.gif

firehose-fire.gif

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Are you seriously?
"He's young, smart, analytical guy" .... LMFAO
He overpaid 3 players for 40% of the team cap ... the guy has won NOTHING ... yup he is really smart.
In a small market like Winnipeg ... would he have signed those 3 players for 50% of the team cap?

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
I would hire Dubas, I think you would be getting him at a good point in his career. No GM is perfect but I think him learning on the job in Toronto was a detriment to him and Toronto and will benefit whatever team he goes to next. We can all dump on him for those contracts to Matthews, Tavares, and Marner but those were all signed within 24 months of the flat cap era beginning. How many other GM's signed their whole core within that small time frame prior to the biggest black swan event in our lifetimes? The cap could be 90 Million right now.

I also think a year below Cheveldayoff might be the best way to reset him and his family. We dump on TNSE but the one thing they do have going for them is loyalty, sometimes to their detriment but it does shape how a candidate would look at this job.

Reactions: Krauser

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I would hire Dubas, I think you would be getting him at a good point in his career. No GM is perfect but I think him learning on the job in Toronto was a detriment to him and Toronto and will benefit whatever team he goes to next. We can all dump on him for those contracts to Matthews, Tavares, and Marner but those were all signed within 24 months of the flat cap era beginning. How many other GM's signed their whole core within that small time frame prior to the biggest black swan event in our lifetimes? The cap could be 90 Million right now.

I also think a year below Cheveldayoff might be the best way to reset him and his family. We dump on TNSE but the one thing they do have going for them is loyalty, sometimes to their detriment but it does shape how a candidate would look at this job.
He never mastered the LTIR to circumvent the cap. Probably would have done better if his stars got injured more often.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Are you seriously?
"He's young, smart, analytical guy" .... LMFAO
He overpaid 3 players for 40% of the team cap ... the guy has won NOTHING ... yup he is really smart.
In a small market like Winnipeg ... would he have signed those 3 players for 50% of the team cap?

It would be interesting to see, but doesn't seem like a great fit

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My big concern with Dubas is his contract negotiations, having Chevy around to help with those would be nice if that was our situation.

Chevy negotiating contracts and Dubas finding good value players would be a good combo, but he'll end up in a much bigger market. He got absolutely steamrolled by Matthews/Marner and even Nylander's camps. A lot of his moves since have been fine to good, but it helps having unlimited funds to drive down contracts by kissing their ass everywhere they can without violating the CBA.

As an aside, Pierre LeBrun wrote a serious (I assume it was) article for the athletic that included interviews with other GM's on what they think of Dubas. Apparently he also died today, and wasn't just fired like the hundreds of other GM's who didn't get a teary eyed obituary. Yikes this must be the annoying flipside to being the centre of the universe :laugh:

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Chevy negotiating contracts and Dubas finding good value players would be a good combo, but he'll end up in a much bigger market. He got absolutely steamrolled by Matthews/Marner and even Nylander's camps. A lot of his moves since have been fine to good, but it helps having unlimited funds to drive down contracts by kissing their ass everywhere they can without violating the CBA.

As an aside, Pierre LeBrun wrote a serious (I assume it was) article for the athletic that included interviews with other GM's on what they think of Dubas. Apparently he also died today, and wasn't just fired like the hundreds of other GM's who didn't get a teary eyed obituary. Yikes this must be the annoying flipside to being the centre of the universe :laugh:
I do like Dubas but I have never seen a GM finesse the media like Dubas has without tangible results. It is like he cast a spell over everyone.

Reactions: MardyBum

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
My big concern with Dubas is his contract negotiations, having Chevy around to help with those would be nice if that was our situation.
To be fair Dubas was an extremely green GM when he signed those contracts. He has learned a lot since then and I doubt he gives out those contracts today.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Dubas wanted full autonomy according to his contract negotiations, he's not getting that here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad