Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Coyotes are roadkill. Early voting results are in on the Tempe project and it's 56% no. Most of the votes were expected to be early votes so looks like the project is dead.

I mean, is it really the end? This team long since went from "Dead Man Walking" to "The Walking Dead" so I have no idea what to believe anymore.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I mean, is it really the end? This team long since went from "Dead Man Walking" to "The Walking Dead" so I have no idea what to believe anymore.
They are now in a sub 5k seat arena that even the league has acknowledged can't work long term and they now have no plan for a new arena. It's looking pretty grim for them.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I’m shocked it was a no vote. Seems illogical as there was no downside to allocating the land for the team

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Neither Bettman or the Coyotes CEO made any kind of commitment to Arizona in their statements. Both said that ownership and the league would have to discuss their options at this point.

Sounded very much like they have no plan b and it might finally be the end of the road in Arizona.

It sounds like based on the Coyotes internal polling they were expecting it to pass.

Reactions: sipowicz

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
They are now in a sub 5k seat arena that even the league has acknowledged can't work long term and they now have no plan for a new arena. It's looking pretty grim for them.
They should’ve moved 10+ years ago. Take the Coyotes to the shed, get the Houston Obesity in the league already.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I’m shocked it was a no vote. Seems illogical as there was no downside to allocating the land for the team

Warning; I haven’t read the proposal for this new project however.……..

The timing to commit to large long term development projects in this region couldn’t be worse. We we are just completing a $7.5 million project in Scottsdale right now which is 35% more expensive than precovid (apples to apples) with no end in sight. Now couple that with high interest rates and the looming potential downtown office real estate crash in the US and It is a bad time to be taking votes on long term infrastructure projects.

edit: I bounced over the business of hockey thread on this topic and the ”no” vote is a bit more complicated and nuanced. Nice read and cool to have someone like @mouser doing detail oriented posting that adds true value to a thread.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Re: The Coyotes

30afaa36c25f41868f3e2b602b4409fb.jpg

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Front runners Houston, Kansas City, Salt Lake City with Atlanta and Quebec City with less of a chance to have the name Coyotes in their realm

A team in Hamilton would be sold out forever and bring in a ton of $$$$ but that’s not what the Leafs, Sabres and NHL want!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Will be interested to see how the NHLPA reacts to all of this ( Arizona Coyotes ). Will they demand a relocation immediately? No way they want the team to contract.

If the Coyotes move....where are all the other teams going to dump their horrible contracts?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Something that I just posted in the Playoff forums that I wanted to share with my dear friends here:

A new feature is being rolled out today where senior writer and respected poster Guffman provides various Top 10 List Rankings based on historical record.

Top 10 Teams: Longest Conference Final Berth Drought

ColumbusNever (team existed in 2000-2001 season)
Toronto2002
Minnesota2003
Calgary2004
Buffalo2007
Detroit2009
Philadelphia2010
Vancouver2011
Arizona / Salt Lake City2012
New Jersey2012

Guffman Analysis

2023 was an exciting year for some teams to break their Conference Final drought.

The Florida Panthers had the longest drought stretching all the way back to the 1996 season. Under the astute leadership of Paul Maurice, the Panthers defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-1 in the second round to remove themselves from this ignoble list. For the Maple Leafs, they lost their opportunity to remove themselves from this list and actually move up to second place.

The New Jersey Devils, previously tied for 10th on the list, also failed in their opportunity to advance, losing to the Carolina Hurricanes. They continue to close off the list, along with the Arizona / Salt Lake City franchise.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Front runners Houston, Kansas City, Salt Lake City with Atlanta and Quebec City with less of a chance to have the name Coyotes in their realm

A team in Hamilton would be sold out forever and bring in a ton of $$$$ but that’s not what the Leafs, Sabres and NHL want!

If the NHL's claim is that the GTA isn't big enough for 2 GTA teams and that Quebec isn't big enough for 2 Quebec teams then I would love to see how Bettman twists and contorts himself to justify that Missouri of all places can support 2 NHL teams if Kansas City is the final decision.

I am low-key rooting for Salt Lake City, just so that there is a market that is going to be even less desirable and on more NTC lists than Winnipeg :laugh:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If the NHL's claim is that the GTA isn't big enough for 2 GTA teams and that Quebec isn't big enough for 2 Quebec teams then I would love to see how Bettman twists and contorts himself to justify that Missouri of all places can support 2 NHL teams if Kansas City is the final decision.

I am low-key rooting for Salt Lake City, just so that there is a market that is going to be even less desirable and on more NTC lists than Winnipeg :laugh:

SLC fits a certain lifestyle. Not talking about the whole Mormon thing, I'm sure that would be tough to overcome, but I doubt it would overtake Winnipeg on the NTC list. Even with the reputation, SLC is pretty secular compared to the rest of the state, and the weather is a drastic improvement over Winnipeg in the winter.

Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad