Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Oilers and the Leafs going out shows the problem GMs have with building teams for hockey, and it's because the NHL has two completely different seasons. It's played differently, it's refed differently , etc.. The playoffs are not the regular season in any way.

If you build your team for the regular season, you will be in the playoffs , but you may not do well in the playoffs... but if you build your team for the playoffs, you may not even get into the playoffs. Florida is a perfect example of this. Built for the playoffs, but lucky to be in the playoffs.

** The Jets are not built for the regular season nor the playoffs... a whole different issue.

Hate to say it, but this is why I like baseball. It's the same game if it's the regular season or the playoffs. A strike in May is a strike in October. The game is played the same way and it is ump'ed the same way. If a GM builds a good regular season team , it will be a good playoff team. Sure, you still have to win and crap happens, but all the teams in the playoffs are good and can legitimately beat each other. No one sneaks into the post season and wins the World Series because the umps started to call a bigger strike zone.
The really good teams can handle both the regular season and playoffs. Think the Hawks and Kings and to a lesser extent TB most recently and before that the Wings Avs and Devils. Teams that excelled in the regular season and put into another gear in the playoffs.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The idea of him going to Arizona just never made sense to. Toronto has far more endorsement potential and are actually a serious hockey market/franchise. Can Arizona muster up signing-bonuses every July 1 for him? :dunno:.
Besides, based on those bank commercials he does, he's a big fan of both Spaceballs and Ron Jeremy...:sarcasm:

download (97).jpeg

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The idea of him going to Arizona just never made sense to. Toronto has far more endorsement potential and are actually a serious hockey market/franchise. Can Arizona muster up signing-bonuses every July 1 for him? :dunno:.
Matthews going to LA makes a lot more sense. Same US region but a superstars market and mix with the rich and famous lifestyle along with near perfect weather.

GrassyKnoll

Feb 3, 2015
Quote from Matthew Tkachuk, re: the Panthers-Laffs series. He ain't wrong:

20230515_185335.jpg

Chevy should take note. Build for the playoffs, not necessarily for the regular season.

And on a slightly related note, Chevy and Chipman (and Bones) should both take note:

Bones had that mindset, re: his post-Game 5 comments & got taken to the woodshed & had to somewhat back-pedal his remarks a few days later. Coach Mike clearly shows who's the boss in Bomber Land. Just sayin'...

Reactions: macmaroon

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Game 1 of playoffs they trash their rink, game 6 elimination game they beat each other up

As thorough and complete a beating as I've ever seen in any sport. The only one that comes close is in chess -- assuming you count that as a sport -- where the absolute GOAT Paul Morphy once beat a guy so thoroughly AND outmanned him after, gifting the winner's share of the purse to his opponent's wife, that she named her newly born daughter "Pauline".

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: roccerfeller

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah, outside of sentimentality it never made a lick of sense to me. It would be one thing if they had a good arena and a well run team but they have neither. He's not going to sign on with a perpetual rebuild team with no new arena in sight.

I could see him entertaining going to a big American market but they won't really have much more to offer than what he's got already.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
When posters say "magically hurt" maybe I'm misinterpreting sarcasm on that which is my bad then.

I don't agree with the notion players or orgs. are faking injuries for LTIR. But could they time recovery for the playoffs, or not place them in the lineup right away if they got a PO spot locked up? Maybe

A guy like Stone who gets "injured" and the timing of his return exactly matches the NHL playoffs starting and he doesn't even look like he is coming off a bad injury is all kinds of redflags. That fact that his has happened in back to back seasons with Vegas involving multiple player says a lot. At the very least they are manipulating the surgery timelines (a borderline injury where Stone could be operated on November to facilitate a Feb return vs a Feb Surgery for a playoff return, they pick the later).

It is not even close to what any other team is doing. Edmonton is using LTIR as it is meant to be used making sure they are not penalized for legitimate injuries out of their control (Klefbom and Smith both of whom are likely never going to play hockey again). Not doing cap shenanigans like Vegas.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, outside of sentimentality it never made a lick of sense to me. It would be one thing if they had a good arena and a well run team but they have neither. He's not going to sign on with a perpetual rebuild team with no new arena in sight.

I could see him entertaining going to a big American market but they won't really have much more to offer than what he's got already.

The only path to Phoenix is if Matthews signs another 4-5 year deal in Toronto that takes him out to 30-31 and he signs his last deal in Phoenix if they move into their new building and if they have built a contender………..IF……………if………ififififif :laugh:

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The really good teams can handle both the regular season and playoffs. Think the Hawks and Kings and to a lesser extent TB most recently and before that the Wings Avs and Devils. Teams that excelled in the regular season and put into another gear in the playoffs.

Yup, plenty of skilled teams have won in the playoffs. Pittsburgh, Tampa, Chicago and Washington and Colorado in recent memory. Toronto and Edmonton aren't built much different then those teams. Edmonton atleast has 2 second round and one conference finals in the McDrai era so its not like they haven't had some playoff success. It took teams like Washington and Tampa a long time to win a cup with their cores. The players on Toronto just can't seem to get it done though.

Reactions: GNP and JonS

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
A guy like Stone who gets "injured" and the timing of his return exactly matches the NHL playoffs starting and he doesn't even look like he is coming off a bad injury is all kinds of redflags. That fact that his has happened in back to back seasons with Vegas involving multiple player says a lot. At the very least they are manipulating the surgery timelines (a borderline injury where Stone could be operated on November to facilitate a Feb return vs a Feb Surgery for a playoff return, they pick the later).

It is not even close to what any other team is doing. Edmonton is using LTIR as it is meant to be used making sure they are not penalized for legitimate injuries out of their control (Klefbom and Smith both of whom are likely never going to play hockey again). Not doing cap shenanigans like Vegas.

The reason why there hasn't been a crackdown is because the teams doing it, such as Tampa and Vegas, draw increased viewership, which means more revenue.

The only way there will be a crackdown is if a team does it is one that isn't "desirable". Hence not much revenue coming in.

Once again, different rules for different teams. NHL is a joke.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We really swung and missed in getting Wyatt Johnson

His draft year was 2021 where he had zero games played and zero points. In his D-1 season he has 30 points in 53 games Played in Windsor. The question isn’t why we missed him, its how the hell did Dallas peg him as a 1st rounder when they couldn’t scout him before the draft for a full season.

Good on them I guess

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His draft year was 2021 where he had zero games played and zero points. In his D-1 season he has 30 points in 53 games Played in Windsor. The question isn’t that was missed him its how the hell did Dallas peg him as a 1st rounder when they couldn’t scout him before the draft for a full season.

Good on them I guess

My guess is that draft will yield very different results due to COVID and how it impacted prospect playing time and scouting that year.

Reactions: KingBogo and ps241
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad