Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
you also need to build a line-up to withstand to LTIR, & an injury to said-player too. for instance, how does our team fair in a regular season if our star player like Helle is LTIR'd for ~50 games or something?

Very true - you need to LTIR a star player until the playoffs...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
you also need to build a line-up to withstand to LTIR, & an injury to said-player too. for instance, how does our team fair in a regular season if our star player like Helle is LTIR'd for ~50 games or something?
No team in the league survives their goalie LTIR'd... and that's not actually my point. If an organization is not messing with LTIR to exceed the cap - you're not trying your hardest to win.

I fully expect Evander Kane to be injured for half a season or more...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
No team in the league survives their goalie LTIR'd... and that's not actually my point. If an organization is not messing with LTIR to exceed the cap - you're not trying your hardest to win.

I fully expect Evander Kane to be injured for half a season or more...
Vegas just did? Lehner was out for the year.

I don't disagree if you aren't using the most of the tools available then you're behind. If you can find legal or legit loopholes, or other tactics within the rules to maximize your output or gains you should utilize them. This is why I get someone to do my taxes :dunno:

Not sure what you mean by Kane? He legit got hurt and I don't really think he's a star player.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Vegas just did? Lehner was out for the year.

I don't disagree if you aren't using the most of the tools available then you're behind. If you can find legal or legit loopholes, or other tactics within the rules to maximize your output or gains you should utilize them. This is why I get someone to do my taxes :dunno:

Not sure what you mean by Kane? He legit got hurt and I don't really think he's a star player.
Well... I did say top goalie - Lehner was not playing like a top goalie last year... I mean Winnipeg has the same chance for Dom Divincentis as Logan Thompson

I mean Kane will magically get injured to make salary space near the TD... Vegas has a cap hit of like 95 million? No way McDavid is not pressuring ownership to play that same game

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well... I did say top goalie - Lehner was not playing like a top goalie last year... I mean Winnipeg has the same chance for Dom Divincentis as Logan Thompson

I mean Kane will magically get injured to make salary space near the TD... Vegas has a cap hit of like 95 million? No way McDavid is not pressuring ownership to play that same game
well first you said star player, then you said goalie and Kane, now it's top-goalie.... so i don't think you even know where you're going.

yea i wonder how many fans think if you gave Dom D's Helle work-load this year if we'd be a PO team. 🤔

EDM is "playing that same game". they had the 3rd highest cap-hit this year w/ 90M, behind MTL and VGK. I don't think you can magically put a player on LTIR w/o injury.... can you perhaps time recovery and when they come off though? maybe.

50% of the league were over the 82.5M cap ceiling:
1684174346111.png

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
well first you said star player, then you said goalie and Kane, now it's top-goalie.... so i don't think you even know where you're going.

yea i wonder how many fans think if you gave Dom D's Helle work-load this year if we'd be a PO team. 🤔

EDM is "playing that same game". they had the 3rd highest cap-hit this year w/ 90M, behind MTL and VGK. I don't think you can magically put a player on LTIR w/o injury.... can you perhaps time recovery and when they come off though? maybe.

50% of the league were over the 82.5M cap ceiling:
View attachment 708910

Edmonton's LTIR players are legitimately injured and did not partake in the playoffs (Klefbom and Smith). If Edmonton was playing the "same game" as Vegas then they would have LTIR'd Draisaitl, traded for Timo Meier at the deadline and then had Draisaitl miraculously be healthy for the playoffs.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Edmonton's LTIR players are legitimately injured and did not partake in the playoffs (Klefbom and Smith). If Edmonton was playing the "same game" as Vegas then they would have LTIR'd Draisaitl, traded for Timo Meier at the deadline and then had Draisaitl miraculously be healthy for the playoffs.
When posters say "magically hurt" maybe I'm misinterpreting sarcasm on that which is my bad then.

I don't agree with the notion players or orgs. are faking injuries for LTIR. But could they time recovery for the playoffs, or not place them in the lineup right away if they got a PO spot locked up? Maybe

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
When posters say "magically hurt" maybe I'm misinterpreting sarcasm on that which is my bad then.

I don't agree with the notion players or orgs. are faking injuries for LTIR. But could they time recovery for the playoffs, or not place them in the lineup right away if they got a PO spot locked up? Maybe
Call me a conspiracy theorist but I would be inclined to change that "maybe" to a "definitely."

Are teams putting fully healthy players on the LTIR? In my opinion, no. What they are doing, in my opinion, is holding injured players out of the lineup until the salary cap goes kaputz.

**I should add, it wouldn't make sense for Vegas to dress Stone for the final two regular season games in case he re-injured himself, but the optics of holding him and his $9.5 million out of the lineup until they could fit him in without penalty isn't great.

Teams will keep doing this. When Tampa won the Cup after stashing Kucherov all year and then paraded around in "$18 million over the cap" t-shirts and the league did nothing, it opened the door to this continuing, and it will keep happening unless they make a change.

Saying Stone "magically" was healthy is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it's pretty obvious what they were doing when it came to his recovery timeline.

Go Dallas or Seattle!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The whole point of reviewing is to eliminate mistakes, I hate reviews.
Having said that I think this still shot was after play was dead and he was getting to his feet, so it’s a bit misleading.
When I watched the game live it looked inconclusive to me and I actually thought that they got it right.

They already have chips in the puck. If they want to 100% get these right then it should be easy to put chips in the nets and have it notify the ref or league that it's in. Trying to use cameras when views can be obscured like they all where in that instance doesn't need to be done any longer.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Beating a team so savagely in their barn that their fans turn on each other SHOULD be an achievement, but this is Edmonton we’re talking about sooooo maybe not.

Game 1 of playoffs they trash their rink, game 6 elimination game they beat each other up

Toronto / Florida 2023

265316.webp

Calgary / Tampa 2004

cac1b69a56d6e56f1009c0add954d138.png

At least in 2023 they reviewed the goal and said it was no-goal.... In 2004 they didn't even review it.... Not to be a conspiracy nut, but these Florida teams sure get the breaks.
I thought they did show that angle but clarified the whistle had been blown by the time it crossed on TV, which is why it was claimed no goal

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Call me a conspiracy theorist but I would be inclined to change that "maybe" to a "definitely."

Are teams putting fully healthy players on the LTIR? In my opinion, no. What they are doing, in my opinion, is holding injured players out of the lineup until the salary cap goes kaputz.

**I should add, it wouldn't make sense for Vegas to dress Stone for the final two regular season games in case he re-injured himself, but the optics of holding him and his $9.5 million out of the lineup until they could fit him in without penalty isn't great.

Teams will keep doing this. When Tampa won the Cup after stashing Kucherov all year and then paraded around in "$18 million over the cap" t-shirts and the league did nothing, it opened the door to this continuing, and it will keep happening unless they make a change.

Saying Stone "magically" was healthy is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it's pretty obvious what they were doing when it came to his recovery timeline.

Go Dallas or Seattle!
Sure I can see that. & i think it's common in other leagues too. like mentioned you're also dealing with the fact the players are legitimately injured, and a team is w/o their MVP/star player or goaltender ie: Kucherov/Stone or Lehner with their hip and back surgeries. they would also need adequate depth to cushion their absences.

but when posters insinuate magical injuries or w/e i typically am not a fan of making light of a player's health.

anyway imo if you aren't maximizing these sort of things you're behind the compeition.

Last edited:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
We will start to see gradual return to work being a strategy to circumvent cap.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Gudas got an assist? That would be the real travesty. Petition to get him the primary assist and a street named after him in Toronto.?
That overtime goal was gud as good can be! :nod:

They should put up a statue of Gudas the impaler in Toronto where they can bemoan for centuries how he did them dirty and was the only reason they didn’t come back to win that series and the Stanley Cup.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yup, Mathews is going to be the highest paid player in the league soon and he has way more endorsement opportunities in Toronto. Why wouldn't you want to keep milking that.

If it was me in charge I'd be trying to ship him out to LA for a massive haul and using that cap space to shore up the rest of the team.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yup, Mathews is going to be the highest paid player in the league soon and he has way more endorsement opportunities in Toronto. Why wouldn't you want to keep milking that.
The idea of him going to Arizona just never made sense to. Toronto has far more endorsement potential and are actually a serious hockey market/franchise. Can Arizona muster up signing-bonuses every July 1 for him? :dunno:.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
That's actually what Chevy was eluding to in the presser. You have to get in, with a team that will win in the playoffs. The Jets with a full roster had a chance to beat Vegas. With Vegas taking out the mighty Oilers quickly, it makes the Jets look good in a way. Not saying we don't need some pieces but regular season teams don't always fare well.

I think the Oilers were in that series until the end. Skinner wasn't good, that was the difference.

I don't think Edmonton needs to make many, if any, changes next season. Maybe dump Campbell and get a more steady 1B for Skinner.

The idea of him going to Arizona just never made sense to. Toronto has far more endorsement potential and are actually a serious hockey market/franchise. Can Arizona muster up signing-bonuses every July 1 for him? :dunno:.

Arizona, maybe not, but LA isn't that far from Arizona. Neither is Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad