Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The Oilers are largely a regular season team. The hype behind them coming into these playoffs wasn’t unfounded, but I was never a believer. They just haven’t been able to build around McDrai.

Carolina and Florida is going to be a great series, Vegas and either Dallas or Seattle might be okay but nobody outside of those markets are going to be watching.
Oh come on, it’s playoffs! I’ll be watching to root against f*** Vegas!

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
The Oilers are largely a regular season team. The hype behind them coming into these playoffs wasn’t unfounded, but I was never a believer. They just haven’t been able to build around McDrai.

Oh come on, it’s playoffs! I’ll be watching to root against f*** Vegas!
Should of added in the the States, people will still watch in Canada but the networks in the States don't care about whose watching in Canada

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The guy is a second pairing dmen but is making number 1 dmen money.
I have no idea what the hell they were thinking with that one. It was a bad contract the moment it was signed and has just gotten worse with age. They signed him to it largely based on that outlying Canadian division year. It would be like if we signed Pionk 8x8 after that season. And IIRC they signed him in July 2021 even though he had a contract still until 2022. I’m not sure why they didn’t slow play it a bit more and instead just caved immediately.

There’s a lot of bad ones in the NHL (Doughty, Bobrovsky and Seth Jones come to mind) but this might honestly be the worst contract in the league.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Carolina and Florida is going to be a great series, Vegas and either Dallas or Seattle might be okay but nobody outside of those markets are going to be watching.
I have a weird feeling it's going to be battle of the expansion teams in Seattle vs Vegas

While I will cheer against the oilers every day, I will be rooting Seattle here on out in the west

Don't care Florida or Carolina. It's gonna Be a Fun series

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Krakheads and Swamp Kitties is the only Stanley Cup final I want.
I have a weird feeling it's going to be battle of the expansion teams in Seattle vs Vegas

While I will cheer against the oilers every day, I will be rooting Seattle here on out in the west

Reactions: roccerfeller

1985ChevyCavalier

May 1, 2023
Sometimes when I think about how messed up the Jets organization is, nights like these last few (Oilers and Leafs both lose) make me realize that there’s a lot of fanbases that feel like the sky is falling. It’s not just us.

Vegas is a good team. The Oilers and Leafs both feel like regular season teams. I don’t know why, but both of those things make me feel less shitty about the fragile state of our poorly built Jets.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Why couldn't both Edmonton and Vegas lose .:naughty: Gotta say if i was a Edmonton fan i wouldn't be happy about some of their star players in the playoffs this year . Nugent-Hopkins had 100 points in the regular season and only scored 1 goal all playoffs. Their goaltending isn't good but that's not that team's only problem.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
Seeing teams like the Maple Leafs and Oilers getting eliminated shows me one thing: they aren't (much) better than the Jets, even with several super stars. Also the Kraken are a prime example of team success. No super stars, no fancy names, but passion and a real team. I strongly believe we could achieve the latter as well, if our culprits were to be replaced.

Only keep those players who really want to be here. Everyone else can f*** off.

Give us players with passion, skill and strong sense of unity. Add a modern and intelligent coaching staff.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I wouldn’t count out the Stars. The have proven to be a pretty resilient team themselves.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Why couldn't both Edmonton and Vegas lose .:naughty: Gotta say if i was a Edmonton fan i wouldn't be happy about some of their star players in the playoffs this year . Nugent-Hopkins had 100 points in the regular season and only scored 1 goal all playoffs. Their goaltending isn't good but that's not that team's only problem.
Edmonton's goaltending is a massive problem for them.

There’s a lot of bad ones in the NHL (Doughty, Bobrovsky and Seth Jones come to mind) but this might honestly be the worst contract in the league.
Bob has earned himself some leeway in the past month.

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Buh bye coilers
Bunch of hillbillies

1684147075306.gif

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Sometimes when I think about how messed up the Jets organization is, nights like these last few (Oilers and Leafs both lose) make me realize that there’s a lot of fanbases that feel like the sky is falling. It’s not just us.

Vegas is a good team. The Oilers and Leafs both feel like regular season teams. I don’t know why, but both of those things make me feel less shitty about the fragile state of our poorly built Jets.

This sums it up for me. The difference is we aren’t really a contender we are a bubble playoff team. I don’t think many Jets fans have that 2018-19 Jets feeling after we got so close the season before and we were still a legit contender. That next season had a different sting to it because we had the pieces to win if it came together. When you know you should be good enough (Toronto and Edmonton) based on some element like high end super stars BUT you continue to fall short its much more crushing.

Not overachieving sucks because losing always sucks but being a perennial underachiever with the talent these two teams have at the top is just devastating.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
It all starts in net and once again it let the Oilers down, every year they try to find that goalie God but they swing and miss. What's the point of Draisatl and McDavid piling up points and not getting to the Conference final let alone Stanley Cup finals.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The Oilers and the Leafs going out shows the problem GMs have with building teams for hockey, and it's because the NHL has two completely different seasons. It's played differently, it's refed differently , etc.. The playoffs are not the regular season in any way.

If you build your team for the regular season, you will be in the playoffs , but you may not do well in the playoffs... but if you build your team for the playoffs, you may not even get into the playoffs. Florida is a perfect example of this. Built for the playoffs, but lucky to be in the playoffs.

** The Jets are not built for the regular season nor the playoffs... a whole different issue.

Hate to say it, but this is why I like baseball. It's the same game if it's the regular season or the playoffs. A strike in May is a strike in October. The game is played the same way and it is ump'ed the same way. If a GM builds a good regular season team , it will be a good playoff team. Sure, you still have to win and crap happens, but all the teams in the playoffs are good and can legitimately beat each other. No one sneaks into the post season and wins the World Series because the umps started to call a bigger strike zone.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Oilers and the Leafs going out shows the problem GMs have with building teams for hockey, and it's because the NHL has two completely different seasons. It's played differently, it's refed differently , etc.. The playoffs are not the regular season in any way.

If you build your team for the regular season, you will be in the playoffs , but you may not do well in the playoffs... but if you build your team for the playoffs, you may not even get into the playoffs. Florida is a perfect example of this. Built for the playoffs, but lucky to be in the playoffs.

** The Jets are not built for the regular season nor the playoffs... a whole different issue.

Hate to say it, but this is why I like baseball. It's the same game if it's the regular season or the playoffs. A strike in May is a strike in October. The game is played the same way and it is ump'ed the same way. If a GM builds a good regular season team , it will be a good playoff team. Sure, you still have to win and crap happens, but all the team in the playoffs are good and can legitimately beat each other. No one sneaks into the post season and wins the World Series because the umps started to call a bigger strike zone.

Agreed, they need to fix things. Call the game the same way.

But I also think you can win with the types of roster construction as the Leafs and Oilers. I have no clue why the Leafs fail as they play good two-way hockey in the regular season. The Oilers though need to learn to play a more two way game like Tampa or those Blackhawk cup teams.

Even those largely offensive Pens cup teams had Crosby play excellent two way hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad