Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
No need to butt clench the Zadorov decision. A better player and opportunity will open up for us. They took a patience approach and we all nodded our heads and agreed that was the right decision. If you're now questioning that decision just give it a bit more time.

Reactions: im gangster

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
No need to butt clench the Zadorov decision. A better player and opportunity will open up for us. They took a patience approach and we all nodded our heads and agreed that was the right decision. If you're now questioning that decision just give it a bit more time.
Agreed. His money will be better spent elsewhere. I'm taking the long term approach.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
From what I've read Boston fans are getting annoyed by all his penalties. :laugh:

PIMs in all 5 games he's played for them, including tonight.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Speak for youself.

He’s carried his playoff performance with the Bruins so far.

I would’ve easily paid him $5M or whatever rather than spend $6.675M on Forbort, Desharnais, Sprong and Heinen. $9.675M if you add Myers (3 year NMC term is so f***ing gross).

He’s very clearly evolved his game to be a #4 defenseman. He has his warts sure, but every #4’s have them, and he would be a #4 on a lot of playoff teams, let alone bottom dwellers, and a luxury piece on the bottom pair.

Meanwhile we have a revolving door of Forbort, Desharnais, Juulsen, on our bottom pair and Soucy/Myers soaking up top 4 minutes.

Allvin so far is looking like 30/70 on his UFA signings.

Reactions: Hodgy and dez

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Brannstrom recalled after only two games in the AHL.

Surest sign yet that Tocchet isn't happy with his blueline. If they thought that much of Brannstrom, it's hard to square it with the fact they put him on waivers and he could have been snapped up by 31 other teams around the NHL.

But I guess with expectations being so low, it won't take much for him to come in and 'exceed them'.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Apparently Ian Cole has been pretty bad for Utah. Would be funny if the Canucks circle back and flip Forbort for him (50%) at some point, salaries would almost balance out.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Speak for youself.

I would’ve easily paid him $5M or whatever rather than spend $6.675M on Forbort, Desharnais, Sprong and Heinen. $9.675M if you add Myers (3 year NMC term is so f***ing gross).

He’s very clearly evolved his game to be a #4 defenseman. He has his warts sure, but every #4’s have them, and he would be a #4 on a lot of playoff teams, let alone bottom dwellers, and a luxury piece on the bottom pair.

Meanwhile we have a revolving door of Forbort, Desharnais, Juulsen, on our bottom pair and Soucy/Myers soaking up top 4 minutes.

Every one of those contracts minus the Myers one is gone after two years. Zadorov's contract is six. You're talking about different things. And by the way, we're three games into the season. We know nothing yet. Nothing.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
this team benefited last year from a great shooting percentage and great goaltending. I think they did well to improve speed and also position themselves to improve shot volume to reduce the reliance on PDO. But, I think they could have focused on deepening the defensive group and building from the net out. I like the Debrusk signing the most form the signings but think we should have focused on a dman. I also think we blew the budget last year on Lindholm and it restricts what we can do this year.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

He's still playing 3rd pairing ice time in Boston despite the $30m contract.

I like the player but no NHL coach has ever trusted him to play in the top 4 consistently.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
With limited assets, they really can't afford to make many more of those types of deals.

You also needed to pay them soon after acquiring them, so they eat up cap space. Lindholm would have jumped $2 mill, Zadorov like $3 mill, Hronek is up like $2.5 mill.
I am responding to @StreetHawk's post here since it's the same topic.

To me, regardless of patience, there's plan, assessment of risk, and execution. Obviously there's hindsight and bullets dodged etc. If we outwait a player and sign the player to a bargain deal great. If we come up on our offer and sign a player already on the team near his asking price after telling the player "show me" that's fine too.

The frustration comes in circumstances where management acquires a player they like and have long term plans for but refuses to pay the asking price only to later come up to that player's asking price and you end up losing the player. The same for a player already on the team (although less so if assets are recouped).

Zadorov is a prime example. He asked for a trade out of Calgary because extension talks stalled. Calgary reportedly offered a 2 year deal for $4-4.5M AAV while Zadorov was looking for 5-6 years. The player clearly wanted to sign an extension and not test UFA with term being the biggest issue. There are differing reports but at the end the Canucks went as high as $5M AAV and I think 5 years. He ended signing for 6X$5M AAV. Good for Z as he played his way to the contract he wanted. Could the Canucks have gotten a deal done before the playoffs started? I think so.

With Miller, the Canucks ultimately went up significantly and got an extenson done (but he had a year left on his contract). With Horvat, they lowballed him while Horvat was asking for Couturier money. Regardless of whether you think the team should have met his salary demands, the Canucks ultimately offered Horvat 7X$7.5M (essentially Couturier money). Horvat ended up getting more money from the Isles. Lindholm I don't fault as he had reportedly turned down a 8x$9M offer from the Flames previously and he wasn't having a season that made him worth that.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Are people forgetting that we're missing Demko who is a real general for us, and that we're trying to change our style from last year to generate more chances off of the rush?

You can tell that guys are thinking out there and not playing instinctively for entire periods of games, caught between last year's instincts and this year's.. It will come.

That said, our D is clearly not good enough as is. Ideally we need a top 4 RD, move Myers down, and then acquire a number 6 LD as well.

But not having Demko and adjusting styles are two prime catalysts of the struggles thus far.

Also. It's. Three. Games. Of. 82. Take. A. Breath.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It's far too early to say one way or another what the right decision will end up being. And I don't necessarily think we're better with the forward group below. But man, what a difference 11.6M buys on defense.

For reference sake, we'd have 690k left with this roster. So it's actually cap positive.

Canucks.PNG

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am responding to @StreetHawk's post here since it's the same topic.

To me, regardless of patience, there's plan, assessment of risk, and execution. Obviously there's hindsight and bullets dodged etc. If we outwait a player and sign the player to a bargain deal great. If we come up on our offer and sign a player already on the team near his asking price after telling the player "show me" that's fine too.
There should be a plan in place. Whether that is a commitment to sign the player (and you should know what the ask has been for him) or you are just renting the player.

It's basically early free agency. You can let them play and see how they fit, Zadorov did well, Lindholm didn't. But, that will likely alter the price they ask for.

Reactions: F A N

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Im not even going to go into injuries..
but they need to split Hughes and Hronek up more until the d is figured out. they have no 3rd pairing at the moment and Myers is struggling.

Reactions: supercanuck

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
I'm not really interested in eight million dollar plus Demko
I think it's tough. 8.25M is definitely reasonable for a Vezina-calibre goalie, but the injury history is concerning.

When other teams have spent 5M on legitimately minor league goalies (cough cough Campbell), I don't think 8M+ is a bad bet, even for somebody injury prone.

I could see a 8-8.25M x 3 to 4 year deal being on the table. Nothing long-term.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Are people forgetting that we're missing Demko who is a real general for us, and that we're trying to change our style from last year to generate more chances off of the rush?

You can tell that guys are thinking out there and not playing instinctively for entire periods of games, caught between last year's instincts and this year's.. It will come.

That said, our D is clearly not good enough as is. Ideally we need a top 4 RD, move Myers down, and then acquire a number 6 LD as well.

But not having Demko and adjusting styles are two prime catalysts of the struggles thus far.

Also. It's. Three. Games. Of. 82. Take. A. Breath.
I have avoided this site knowing a bunch of panic posters would be here with their hot takes.

My only real concern is Silovs still not tracking the puck, it's a concern.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Speak for youself.

The plan wasn't to roll out this defensive line up in to the playoffs I'd imagine.

We will see improvements to the D. It's just that it's Game 3 not really the time for I told ya so's.

Big thing about the Zadorov contract is the term. His CAP hit wasn't the problem but you're putting most your chips in to the pot on Zadorov and closing the door for other potential opportunities down the road to improve the blueline.

Listen I loved Zadorov but I'm willing to give this more than 3 games. Not really interested in grading these signings so early in the season - this epitomizes knee jerk reactions and bad takes.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Given his injury history, I’d be shocked if any team was willing to offer him that. Certainly not with term.
And to make matters worse he'll be 30 when he hits free agency.

I would be surprised unless it's a 1 or 2 year deal from a team desperate for goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad