Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah I mean they are just running through all of their internal options first, but I think we know that we're going to need to augment this D core even if Brannstrom is a fit.

What are people's thoughts on Lljiligren? It's a tough contract to take on at 3MM x 2 without sending back some money, but all of the guys we might move for him are recent UFA signings and it would be pretty ratty to move them a few games into their Canuck tenure.

I know he became a total whipping boy for Toronto, but have this idea in my head of him having generally good underlying numbers, and a mobile RHD with really good hit/block rates.

would love to add liljegren

heinen would be a good player to send back, but as you note, kind of a dick move. so maybe suter? he's surplus value at his cap hit, but not necessarily for roster fit. it's the boston/tampa/vegas way of doing things. especially if you can get paid something to take liljegren at that contract.

No interest in Liljegren at his price point/cost.

hmm interesting. thoughts on him as a player though?

i have the same perception as @timw33 - thought he was pretty good in sheltered minutes, eye test has always been reasonable, figured his whipping boy status is classic leaf overcompensation after years of proclaiming him the next top pairing defenseman and not having that pan out.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
would love to add liljegren

heinen would be a good player to send back, but as you note, kind of a dick move. so maybe suter? he's surplus value at his cap hit, but not necessarily for roster fit. it's the boston/tampa/vegas way of doing things. especially if you can get paid something to take liljegren at that contract.

hmm interesting. thoughts on him as a player though?

i have the same perception as @timw33 - thought he was pretty good in sheltered minutes, eye test has always been reasonable, figured his whipping boy status is classic leaf overcompensation after years of proclaiming him the next top pairing defenseman and not having that pan out.

I see him as another Ethan Bear. So if Toronto was willing to retain half and take a guy like Juulsen in return, I'd take a shot.

Even then, I'd wait to see how Brannstrom does on this roster first.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gonna have to wait it out or scrape the waiver wire until some teams free agents balk at re signing.

I think Brannstrom (our first attempt) should be good mixed into our group of large but ineffective puck movers.

It does suck that Zadorov couldn't have been finessed into the cap. That extra year really made it stinky considering he was already getting an overpayment. Zadorov with Willander later this year or next would have put us and him in a good spot if he's a player.

Juulsen has been awful for all but a 30-40 game stretch last year. Cole and Zaddy allowed Myers to play a lesser role which is gonna hurt on 2 fronts. Bottom pairings are bad. Gotta start playing from a lead to get much from them and even that as we've seen is tough with bad goaltending

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
The problem is that management made a wrong choice in philosophy. Anyone that watched the Canucks in the playoffs knew they need to find a way to generate more offence. I think they thought that if Tocchet switched his tactics and they added more scoring upfront that they would be fine having a backend that was limited in the in mobility, puck moving, and generating offence. The two players that I think they missed on in the offseason were Walker, and Carrier.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I keep having this dream that Byram is a bad fit in Buffalo and they move off him cheaply to have him come home and break out after we signed him for cheap

Issue is also that we need a 2/3 and have no way of retaining one without keeping it to 5m and moving off a couple contracts

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Raty sent down.

Not really the problem. Raty, Hoglander, Garland has been the best line.

Its Pettersson and the top 6 that is not performing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad