GDT: Sharks @ Hawks 7:30 10/17/24 Chsn

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Obviously I'm the biggest Reichel hater here, but his deployment makes no sense.

He's going to look even more brutal than usual sandwiched between Maroon and Smith, especially when we all know how much worse he is at center.

What's the goal? He's not going to put up points there, so it harms his trade value which is non-existent to begin with. Now he'll be seen as a negative asset. He's not going to prove himself and earn more minutes because he'll only get like 8 minutes a night and he won't be able to create in that environment.

Either trade him or send him on waivers.

Whatever the plan currently is for him, it doesn't make any sense.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Foligno does an admirable job on the first line, but he’s going to run out of gas by the half way point of the season, guy is old.

Anyways, half the team is probably on the trade block already, and the kids are likely auditioning for a call up when the trades start coming. Personally, I think Dach would be a good fit with Bedard and TT, big body and physical.

Of the forwards, I suspect Hall, Reichel, Maroon, Smith, Donato and AA as candidates to be traded. So lots of opportunity potentially in the future.

Alex Martinez to IR. Isaak Phillips recalled.
Groin injury, he’s going to be out forever. Those are a bitch to come back from.

Reactions: Pez68 and Mrfenn92

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Every coach makes weird roster decisions. I try not to get too far into the weeds on it. Its annoying but whatever.
Yep the guy has implemented structure, is developing a culture and has started to develop young D men. Richardson isn’t perfect but anyone comparing him to Coliton or King are delusional. This team lacks offensive talent and that’s okay considering where we are in the rebuild. You build from the backend out and that’s what Richardson and Davidson are doing

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
No one on the third and fourth lines (really, two fourth lines) are scoring so they're being gifted free ice time. In addition, I've see posters being perfectly fine with "Bertuzzi having his typical slow thirty game start". I wanna see these lines:

Foligno - Bedard - TT
Kurashev - Nazar - Bertuzzi
Hall - Reichel - AA
Mikheyev - Dickinson - Donato
Maroon Anderson
Smith waivers

The Hawks "being competitive" is an illusion because they aren't getting scoring outside of the top line. In addition, the front office knows the Hawks aren't a bubble team so LR shouldn't be allowed to coach the Hawks like they are. The Hawks can lose relatively higher scoring games, or relatively lower scoring games. I wanna see higher scoring games. The suggested third line is not a lock to be a scoring machine, but it has a greater chance to be one than either of the bottom lines being iced now.
I’d rather not play pond hockey when we only have one forward we really are set on developing in Bedard and have an abundance of young D we are bringing along. We won’t be competitive if we open it up

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Donato and Smith are both...just another guy types...meaning interchangeable with any other bottom 4 of any other bottom half of the league teams' botyomm4 types..or in other words .. they make no difference at all if in the lineup.

But fixating on bottom useless nobodies is the wrong emphasis...Rather it should be on why Hall and Bertuzzi our 2nd line wingers are Not performing like 2nd liners..ie. Zero goals so far in 4GP...this cannot go on much longer...else we are back to a 1 line scoring hreat team ...

Agreed Reichel at 4C makes no sense at all unless LR wants to develop him better Defensively..it is not going to add scoring with 2 slugs on his wings..

If you put Reichel with Kurashev and Hall that makes sense as the line would be our fastest and maybe they score in transitions ...2 ones..etc...

You then put Bertuzzi with Dickinson and Mikeheyev which could be a good 3rd line ..

If Reichel not in top 2 lines he really has no role on the team.

Last edited:

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
While I agree that putting Reichel on the 4th line is not a recipe for success from a production stand point, I am assuming that is not what is being asked of him at this point. The coaching staff is looking for him to be more assertive and compete. He can do that on the 4th line. If he does, he will likely have the opportunity to move up.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I know but he has to clear waivers to be demoted to RFD, right? It's a conundrum for management - they don't want to give him away for nothing.
He does have to go through waivers.

But at his point... so what?

I don't even think it's a guarantee he gets claimed. But if he does... I don't think the Hawks miss him in any way.

Of course they should try to move him for something first, but I think there are very few suitors out there.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I actually like the move of putting Reichel at 4C between Maroon and Smith because I think it's a desperate move for a desperate situation. Reichel's problem is between his ears and part of that problem is he thinks too much instead of just playing balls out straight ahead hockey. He defers and demures too much when he should trust himself to make the play. This is a gambit to get him to not try those fancy drop passes because Maroon and Smith are not the type of players to be part of a fancy playmaking line. This is meat and potato time and he better know it's put on his hard hat and bust ass tonight.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I actually like the move of putting Reichel at 4C between Maroon and Smith because I think it's a desperate move for a desperate situation. Reichel's problem is between his ears and part of that problem is he thinks too much instead of just playing balls out straight ahead hockey. He defers and demures too much when he should trust himself to make the play. This is a gambit to get him to not try those fancy drop passes because Maroon and Smith are not the type of players to be part of a fancy playmaking line. This is meat and potato time and he better know it's put on his hard hat and bust ass tonight.
He doesn't play the style of hockey though. He's a soft perimeter guy, and always has been. Playing with Smith and Maroon won't change that.

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024

I like your optimism but I don’t see it. His line mates don’t have skill to play a skill game…. So I expect him to just wilt and hide because he can’t play a 4th line role with players like that. He’ll be scratched again after tonight’s game.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad