Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehh, Celebrini had a better USHL year than Fantilli leading up to their draft year, and was younger(Fantilli was 17 his whole season Celebrini doesn't turn 17 until June) He's going into the NCAA as a 17 year old on a good team, could be viewed as a better player by the 2024 draft.

Obviously not Bedard level, but could easily rival the other guys.

Forgot about him for some reason. Yeah he looks pretty darn good.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Some of us who have taken the nuanced mindset regarding Maurice that you sated are probably feeling a little gaslit right now

There were plenty of "he's a shit coach with the most losses ever and has never won anything" types out there.

Those of us that said things more along the lines of "he seems like a great guy who communicates well but doesn't do the best with player utilization, systems and dicipline" were shouted down.

It's not unreasonable that we we use his success to point out that maybe we had a point
I think the idea about Maurice being the coach with the most losses in NHL history is directly linked to his "good guy" nature and his penchant for sticking around past his due date. If he were a jerk (*cough* Gallant *cough*) he'd get fired a lot sooner and wouldn't have a chance to rack up a bunch of Ls.

I mean, I don't want to get into the whole history of the Jets under Maurice, but there seemed to be deliberate coaching decisions made that hurt the team. They'd have success one year - like in 2014-15 or 2017-18 - and then the next year they'd change the strategy and back away from what they were doing to succeed (in those successful years they were a hard/fast 2-man forecheck team, and in the years after they backed away from the 2-man forecheck and tried to focus on low-event hockey...maybe Maurice was trying to teach them to lock it down defensively but it never worked).

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Ehh, Celebrini had a better USHL year than Fantilli leading up to their draft year, and was younger(Fantilli was 17 his whole season Celebrini doesn't turn 17 until June) He's going into the NCAA as a 17 year old on a good team, could be viewed as a better player by the 2024 draft.

Obviously not Bedard level, but could easily rival the other guys.
Celebrini has similar 16 yo numbers to Bedard, although USHL compared to WHL, however you want to interpret that. He might be at Bedard level.....this upcoming season will be telling

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I liked Maurice alot and i am happy for his success so far but anyway you slice it we needed change. I was very happy with Bowness this season too but it's clear we need to change some of the players now and it's time for a GM change.
100%
Question other than Cheveldayoff quitting who is the only one who can fire him?
We all know that isn’t happening for at least two more seasons

Reactions: Jets 31

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think we're saying pretty much the same thing in different ways. I never bought into the "Maurice is a bad coach" argument, though I think his time here had run out long before he left. I just don't believe he's the reason for Florida's turnaround.

If I described 95% of playoff series, why are you pointing to the 10 games Florida's played in the playoffs as vindication for Maurice?
I think it’s been generally stated that a coach should be replaced ever 3-4 years. Perhaps Maurice should have been replaced after the 2018-19 season.

Also, what I actually said was,”Good summary for 95% of playoff series outcomes from a fans outside perspective.” I then go ahead and describe that a coach is spending nine months teaching, molding and helping players deal with the ups and downs of a season and had the team driving hard at the right time. His work shines through with the performance of his players.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I can see Chevy looking at this post-season one of two ways.

Teams with comparable records like Florida and Seattle are winning and advancing and both could be in the conference championship games. The message resonates, "See, that could be us. All we need is a foot in the door and anything can happen". And no trades get done, all the core are back for another run regardless of contract status beyond the coming season.

Or...

Chicago gets a generational player and the message resonates, "f*** me! Tanking works! Who knew?" And he blows it up to kingdom come.

I know what I want to happen, and I know what will happen.

Chevy isn’t daft to ignore the contract status of his top end players. While he may keep some of these players into the season with their current contracts, there will absolutely be a final deadline to make these decisions and that will be the TDL. Either players like Hellebuyck and Schiefele get Big Buffed or they get Ladded out of here.

think the idea about Maurice being the coach with the most losses in NHL history is directly linked to his "good guy" nature and his penchant for sticking around past his due date. If he were a jerk (*cough* Gallant *cough*) he'd get fired a lot sooner and wouldn't have a chance to rack up a bunch of Ls.
I think it’s actually linked to him being a head coach when he was 29 and overseeing some truly pitiful teams with abysmal goaltending. You can’t ignore team quality and focus on career coaching stats to get the measure of a coach.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Florida is an exceptionally deeper and more talented team at the top end than the Jets. I’m not sure there’s a lot to celebrate coaching wise. The timing of when they received consistent goaltending has been perfect but almost landing that roster out of the playoffs entirely was a disaster.
Florida actually has a lousy d corp overall. If by “consistent goaltending”, you mean Bob going 3.13 GAA .909 save percentage in his 8 playoff starts… yikes, ok.

Avs captain Landeskog ‘s career might be done as he is going to miss next season

I feel bad that my black heart rejoices when I read this news about a player from a divisional rival. :confused:

• Haha
Reactions: TommyKillian

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Florida actually has a lousy d corp overall. If by “consistent goaltending”, you mean Bob going 3.13 GAA .909 save percentage in his 8 playoff starts… yikes, ok.

I feel bad that my black heart rejoices when I read this news about a player from a divisional rival. :confused:
Bob’s numbers are brought down significantly by Games 4 and 6 against Boston. Other than that he’s been above .910 and is a big reason Florida is where they are right now.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
At this rate, Landeskog is on track to become the next member of the LTIRizona Coyotes.
Any chance his rehab will be miraculously complete between the end of the regular season and the beginning of the playoffs? :laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it’s actually linked to him being a head coach when he was 29 and overseeing some truly pitiful teams with abysmal goaltending. You can’t ignore team quality and focus on career coaching stats to get the measure of a coach.
Sure he's had some bad teams but he also gets a ton of rope because he's likeable.

Reactions: Team Bring It

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chevy isn’t daft to ignore the contract status of his top end players. While he may keep some of these players into the season with their current contracts, there will absolutely be a final deadline to make these decisions and that will be the TDL. Either players like Hellebuyck and Schiefele get Big Buffed or they get Ladded out of here.

I'll give you his Hartford days but up until us and maybe even including us his teams had the habit of shitting the bed after going far in the playoffs.

After he took his Canes to the finals, that same roster posted a 22 win season. They weren't on a much better pace the year after. The Canes then won the cup the first year after he was let go.

His second time around he immediately got them to round 3 and then they didn't sniff the playoffs again despite having a prime Eric Staal and Cam Ward posting at minimum. 916 each of the other three years he was there.

To me he seems like a guy that had an immediate impact, gets a team to a high point but then can't push the right buttons after to get them back there.

We saw similar but not as drastic here after 17-18

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Bob's last 6 games sv% (Panthers 6 game winning streak):

The 0.853 game is where the Panthers beat the Bruins 7 - 5. Ullmark was so bad (0.812) that he didn't get the start for the deciding game 7 in that series.

Yeah, Bobrovsky is certainly doing his part in this unlikely streak the Panthers have going.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Florida is an exceptionally deeper and more talented team at the top end than the Jets. I’m not sure there’s a lot to celebrate coaching wise. The timing of when they received consistent goaltending has been perfect but almost landing that roster out of the playoffs entirely was a disaster.
Amenity Rich locations will always have an advantage especially with free agents. Probably a 20% advantage (stat completely pulled from my ass) as far as depth goes.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Bob's last 6 games sv% (Panthers 6 game winning streak):

The 0.853 game is where the Panthers beat the Bruins 7 - 5. Ullmark was so bad (0.812) that he didn't get the start for the deciding game 7 in that series.

Yeah, Bobrovsky is certainly doing his part in this unlikely streak the Panthers have going.

Sorry but are you really going to cherry pick games to exclude his first two playoff starts because they were sub .900 games? Like, he’s only played 8 games yet you want to slice off the bad games to fit your narative?

C’mon guys. I know stats can be twisted to tell whatever story you want but this is blatant cherry picking lol.

• Haha
Reactions: blueandgoldguy

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Sorry but are you really going to cherry pick games to exclude his first two playoff starts because they were sub .900 games? Like, he’s only played 8 games yet you want to slice off the bad games to fit your narative?

C’mon guys. I know stats can be twisted to tell whatever story you want but this is blatant cherry picking lol.
I just have a feeling that if Bob continued to suck past the first start (IIRC Lyon started games 1-3, Bob came in in relief in Game 3) and the Panthers got bounced that you wouldn’t be in here telling us how amazing Maurice is for getting the Panthers to the next round.

Maurice deserves some credit, but Bobrovsky deserves some too.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

He was refer to the winning streak.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Looking at a 6 game winning streak is exactly that, looking at those 6 games. My post is just facts, no narrative. If you want to look at other games, go ahead. No need to hijack my factual post with your narrative.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Any chance his rehab will be miraculously complete between the end of the regular season and the beginning of the playoffs? :laugh:
Not sure but he missed this entire season too. So if he comes back just know he's missed alot of time, and am doubtful there's a timing thing going on here

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad