Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Totally agree with this post, as I've always believed intimidation always plays a big part in Hockey -- especially in the playoffs. Mathews and Marner are talented, but very "soft players", and are looking over their shoulder too much, taking their focus away from the game. Their going to need a couple very physical type of players, so maybe they trade one of Nylander or Marner ? Would like to see Nylander on the Jets.

Likely Florida sweeps them in 4, or maybe the series goes 5 games.
Nylander is alergic to any space near the boards if there is an opponent within 20 feet. He will literally just stop and wait for the other player to go get the puck even if he has a 6 foot jump on the guy.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
One thing I believe is true.
Maurice was the only one healthy enough to see the dysfunction and remove himself from it.
I still don’t believe Chipman and Cheveldayoff see it.
Make the playoffs “ good enough “
If it wasn’t for Helle it’s doubtful we would have made it more than twice.
Maurice was nothing but classy here and it’s becoming apparent his style of being a players coach ultimately helped him come to the conclusion to give up.
This roster needs to be revamped and the sooner the better.
I hope Maurice does well regardless of what went on here the last 4 years , he was doing a good job until then.
The WCF season was fantastic the following years have been a whole lotta meh.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Some of us who have taken the nuanced mindset regarding Maurice that you sated are probably feeling a little gaslit right now

There were plenty of "he's a shit coach with the most losses ever and has never won anything" types out there.

Those of us that said things more along the lines of "he seems like a great guy who communicates well but doesn't do the best with player utilization, systems and dicipline" were shouted down.

It's not unreasonable that we we use his success to point out that maybe we had a point

"his" success. I'm one of the "he seems like a great guy who communicates well but doesn't do the best with player utilization, systems and dicipline" guys. lol. What I'm hearing is "Ohhhhh, a team coached by Paul Maurice is on a nice playoff run! Guess that makes all you dummies who thought he was the problem here feel stupid doesn't it?" FOr me, no it doesn't. I still feel exactly like I did when he walked away - it was one or two seasons too late for a change.

Florida felt they needed to make a coaching change (after the team had a pretty damn good season even) and they did. Apparently, that was a good choice for them. But here? Not necessary apparently.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
"his" success. I'm one of the "he seems like a great guy who communicates well but doesn't do the best with player utilization, systems and dicipline" guys. lol. What I'm hearing is "Ohhhhh, a team coached by Paul Maurice is on a nice playoff run! Guess that makes all you dummies who thought he was the problem here feel stupid doesn't it?" FOr me, no it doesn't. I still feel exactly like I did when he walked away - it was one or two seasons too late for a change.

Florida felt they needed to make a coaching change (after the team had a pretty damn good season even) and they did. Apparently, that was a good choice for them. But here? Not necessary apparently.
When his team succeeds, it's not "him"

When his team fails, it IS "him"

Got it

Must be nice to be able to think like that

Reactions: tacogeoff

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Honestly it's like people forget Moe had some success here as well.

If our core is so toxic what does that ultimately say about him, he was the only NHL coach most every one of our core players knew before he quit. If you don't think he had a big hand in what happened in the room and how it ultimately formed then I don't know what to say.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Honestly it's like people forget Moe had some success here as well.

If our core is so toxic what does that ultimately say about him, he was the only NHL coach most every one of our core players knew before he quit. If you don't think he had a big hand in what happened in the room and how it ultimately formed then I don't know what to say.

Yeah, we have no idea what the recipe and specific ingredients of our particular cocktail of dysfunction are. I was pissed off when Maurice quit. I wanted him fired. I wanted a proactive move from the organization to do something. Fire the coach and have your new guy sitting there ready to go. Instead, we get an extremely rare coach resignation, and the rest of the (still potentially successful) season given to the assistant after which you start a fairly desperate coaching search post-season ending up with a basically retired guy doing you a favor. It seems to me that the defining characteristic of The Winnipeg Jets 2.0 could be described as "fiddling while Rome burns."

Like I said, I have a nuanced view on the issue.

When the team fails, it's a combination of him and the players

When the team succeeds, it's a combination of him and the players

I realize how hard it is for some of you to wrap your head around that

It's not hard for me...since it's exactly what I've been saying. lol.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Yeah a rebuild to get a franchise altering talent like Bedard wouldn't work here 🙄

It has been six years of misery (finishing no higher than sixth in the division) for Chicago. It should likely be a few more given where their current roster is at.

That’s a big price to pay to luck into a generational talent like Bedard. Some teams that endure that length of misery don’t always get those types of generational players BTW.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
LOL...I love the weird effort to try and use what's happening with The Panthers to somehow prove that people here who felt that after several rough seasons it might be time for us to move on from our very long-tenured coach who ended up firing himself were wrong.
Don’t agree with this take. Could very well be that it was the right move all along. What is obvious is that we have been through 3 coaches in a year. And NONE of them could get this player group to perform under adversity. Or to give a shit when things got tough.

We have a core problem, that no coach is going to solve. Maurice’s current success is just one more data point. One of many.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Don’t agree with this take. Could very well be that it was the right move all along. What is obvious is that we have been through 3 coaches in a year. And NONE of them could get this player group to perform under adversity. Or to give a shit when things got tough.

We have a core problem, that no coach is going to solve. Maurice’s current success is just one more data point. One of many.

I don't see what part of what you say disagrees with my take...

We've been through 3 coaches in a year, but only one of them had been here 8 seasons prior to the other two. And one of them was just the assistant basically filling in. It was obvious even before Maurice resigned that there was more than just a coaching change needed. But a coaching change was needed.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Good summary for 95% of playoff series outcomes from a fans outside perspective.

I know it’s hard to conceptualize, but the coaching staff starts working with the players way back in training camp and they are there for the ups and downs during the season, helping build character and mental toughness, correcting flaws and driving the team forward.

Florida drove hard to secure their playoff berth with Maurice flipping his Switch at the right time with the team already mentally tough and battle hardened to trounce the lazy top teams that haven’t played any meaningful games in ages.

So, is Florida’s playoff success due to Maurice’s line changes/match-ups and in-game adjustments? Of course not. His contribution is working with the players for the past 9 months to mold them to what they are.

I think we're saying pretty much the same thing in different ways. I never bought into the "Maurice is a bad coach" argument, though I think his time here had run out long before he left. I just don't believe he's the reason for Florida's turnaround.

If I described 95% of playoff series, why are you pointing to the 10 games Florida's played in the playoffs as vindication for Maurice?

Reactions: snowkiddin

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The $1.9 million worth of season tickets Chicago sold in the first hour after getting the 1st pick, is now up to $5.2 million in the first 12 hours....

I do wonder how many of those season tickets are from ticket brokers hoping to cash in vs actual fans.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The $1.9 million worth of season tickets Chicago sold in the first hour after getting the 1st pick, is now up to $5.2 million in the first 12 hours....

I do wonder how many of those season tickets are from ticket brokers hoping to cash in vs actual fans.

Probably a lot but I don't think the Blackhawks or NHL care

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I can see Chevy looking at this post-season one of two ways.

Teams with comparable records like Florida and Seattle are winning and advancing and both could be in the conference championship games. The message resonates, "See, that could be us. All we need is a foot in the door and anything can happen". And no trades get done, all the core are back for another run regardless of contract status beyond the coming season.

Or...

Chicago gets a generational player and the message resonates, "f*** me! Tanking works! Who knew?" And he blows it up to kingdom come.

I know what I want to happen, and I know what will happen.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I can see Chevy looking at this post-season one of two ways.

Teams with comparable records like Florida and Seattle are winning and advancing and both could be in the conference championship games. The message resonates, "See, that could be us. All we need is a foot in the door and anything can happen". And no trades get done, all the core are back for another run regardless of contract status beyond the coming season.

Or...

Chicago gets a generational player and the message resonates, "f*** me! Tanking works! Who knew?" And he blows it up to kingdom come.

I know what I want to happen, and I know what will happen.

The idea is you tank when the generational talent is available not after.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The idea is you tank when the generational talent is available not after.

Yup, 2024 doesn't really have anyone I'd put in the superstar category as of now.

If there was a draft to tank for it would have been this one. Pretty elite top 5 outside of Bedard.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yup, 2024 doesn't really have anyone I'd put in the superstar category as of now.

If there was a draft to tank for it would have been this one. Pretty elite top 5 outside of Bedard.
But we would get a good shot at a player in the supername category: Macklin Celebrini. :laugh:

Reactions: surixon

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Ehh, Celebrini had a better USHL year than Fantilli leading up to their draft year, and was younger(Fantilli was 17 his whole season Celebrini doesn't turn 17 until June) He's going into the NCAA as a 17 year old on a good team, could be viewed as a better player by the 2024 draft.

Obviously not Bedard level, but could easily rival the other guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad