Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I've never been in the "Maurice is a bad coach" camp, but all the smug smilies in the world won't change that Florida's fortunes changed when they went to Bobrovsky and having someone like Tkachuk on the team (also Bennett and Reinhart). Maurice I'm sure is partially responsible but if you think the difference maker here is Maurice, you're dreaming.

Is that the pronoun that Maurice uses… “they”? BTW, Bob is rocking a .909 playoff percentage.

BTW, every team that succeeds in the playoffs will have some players that play well. Does that mean no playoff coach ever plays a big role in the team success?

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Is that the pronoun that Maurice uses… “they”? BTW, Bob is rocking a .909 playoff percentage.

BTW, every team that succeeds in the playoffs will have some players that play well. Does that mean no playoff coach ever plays a big role in the team success?

Personally, I've never seen a team win the cup and thought to myself that the coach was the reason they won. Have you?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Bob is also the reason the Panthers won Game 1 and 2 against Toronto. I'd concede that the reason Florida won Games 5, 6 and 7 against Boston was less Bobrovsky and more Ullmark fading quickly, though Bob did save the Panthers in Game 5 when Florida was outshot by almost 2 to 1 by Boston.

I'm not looking at Florida and seeing them making some crazy coaching based adjustments to the game. Maurice, I'm sure, has the team engaged and is keeping the team motivated, focused etc but I don't think the Florida wins are some tactical genius that Boston and Toronto had never seen beforehand. They've won thanks to goaltending, either good goaltending from their side or bad goaltending on the other, and their big players have shown up.

Maurice deserves SOME credit, but he's not the main reason Florida is winning.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm not sure wether to like Chicago getting Bedard or not. On one side, I love that we're going to get to see him lots because same conference on the other hand, I feel like most people right now: man that sucks for ANA/CBJ (mainly CBJ, they never get anything nice it feels like) and Chicago doesn't deserve to get another franchise level talent that quickly after their dynasty days.

It is what it is

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Bob is also the reason the Panthers won Game 1 and 2 against Toronto. I'd concede that the reason Florida won Games 5, 6 and 7 against Boston was less Bobrovsky and more Ullmark fading quickly, though Bob did save the Panthers in Game 5 when Florida was outshot by almost 2 to 1 by Boston.

I'm not looking at Florida and seeing them making some crazy coaching based adjustments to the game. Maurice, I'm sure, has the team engaged and is keeping the team motivated, focused etc but I don't think the Florida wins are some tactical genius that Boston and Toronto had never seen beforehand. They've won thanks to goaltending, either good goaltending from their side or bad goaltending on the other, and their big players have shown up.

Maurice deserves SOME credit, but he's not the main reason Florida is winning.
To paraphrase Brind Amour after he won the Jack Adams trophy. All coaches run the same systems with only slight variations of each other. The key to coaching is to get your players to buy in and play their role in the system night after night. Right now I’d say Maurice has found away to have his team buying in.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
LOL...I love the weird effort to try and use what's happening with The Panthers to somehow prove that people here who felt that after several rough seasons it might be time for us to move on from our very long-tenured coach who ended up firing himself were wrong.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
LOL...I love the weird effort to try and use what's happening with The Panthers to somehow prove that people here who felt that after several rough seasons it might be time for us to move on from our very long-tenured coach who ended up firing himself were wrong.
I think of it as more of a narrative of moving away from Maurice being totally incompetent and not understanding hockey systems and leaving it at he wore out his welcome and the players stopped buying in.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I think of it as more of a narrative of moving away from Maurice being totally incompetent and not understanding hockey systems and leaving it at he wore out his welcome and the players stopped buying in.

I mean...who cares? Are we really surprised that hockey fans in a hockey forum might have over-cooked criticism of the head coach when things weren't going well? I'm pretty sure if you stop by any of the boards here of teams that had unsuccessful seasons there's some people irrationally blaming coaching. And most of those coaches haven't even had 4 or 5 seasons with their team let alone 8 or 9. Some of them might even have a Cup or 2 on their belt.

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
In retrospect, its remarkable what Maurice did manage with the Jets.

I think you could put habs-era Scotty Bowman behind the Winnipeg bench and there would be no "buy in" with this core. They have only bought into themselves.

Here's a thought, what's happening in FLA (personally I love it) is dependent upon a complex interaction of good things.

Do some CURRENTLY overrate Maurice? Of course. However he is not dragging FLA down, despite his methodology (soundly criticized here for many years).

Last edited:

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I mean...who cares? Are we really surprised that hockey fans in a hockey forum might have over-cooked criticism of the head coach when things weren't going well? I'm pretty sure if you stop by any of the boards here of teams that had unsuccessful seasons there's some people irrationally blaming coaching. And most of those coaches haven't even had 4 or 5 seasons with their team let alone 8 or 9. Some of them might even have a Cup or 2 on their belt.
Even FLA HF'ers have their own pitchfork thread for Maurice. It was idling at 5000 rpm during the regular season.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Personally, I've never seen a team win the cup and thought to myself that the coach was the reason they won. Have you?

Yeah, the only thing coaches do is give press conferences and look pissed off at the refs when a penalty is called on his team.

Heck, I bet you could even do that.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
In retrospect, its remarkable what Maurice did manage with the Jets.

Maybe. Or maybe another coach spends those first few years getting our (at that time) "cup contending" core primed and ready to go and we end up winning it all in 2018 instead of topping out at the semis. Who knows? Maybe a different coach impacts the team such that D.Buff doesn't walk away.

I don't think many of us believed a coaching change alone was going to solve all our problems. I was fully expecting last off-season was going to see at least a couple big roster changes. I wanted Chef and PLD moved personally.

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If you don’t care why participate in a discussion? It is an around the league thread and Maurice is the head coach of a team up 3-0 in the 2nd of the playoffs. He is a very relevant topic for this thread.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
If you don’t care why participate in a discussion? It is an around the league thread and Maurice is the head coach of a team up 3-0 in the 2nd of the playoffs. He is a very relevant topic for this thread.

Sure I suppose. I just don't know what the point of calling out and trying to prove anyone who criticised our coach 2 seasons ago before he walked away was wrong is...

Our team got to the semis under Mo. We already know he's capable of coaching a team some distance in the playoffs. He had some success in that regard even before he became our coach didn't he?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
They've won thanks to goaltending, either good goaltending from their side or bad goaltending on the other, and their big players have shown up.

Good summary for 95% of playoff series outcomes from a fans outside perspective.

I know it’s hard to conceptualize, but the coaching staff starts working with the players way back in training camp and they are there for the ups and downs during the season, helping build character and mental toughness, correcting flaws and driving the team forward.

Florida drove hard to secure their playoff berth with Maurice flipping his Switch at the right time with the team already mentally tough and battle hardened to trounce the lazy top teams that haven’t played any meaningful games in ages.

So, is Florida’s playoff success due to Maurice’s line changes/match-ups and in-game adjustments? Of course not. His contribution is working with the players for the past 9 months to mold them to what they are.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Some of us who have taken the nuanced mindset regarding Maurice that you sated are probably feeling a little gaslit right now

There were plenty of "he's a shit coach with the most losses ever and has never won anything" types out there.

Those of us that said things more along the lines of "he seems like a great guy who communicates well but doesn't do the best with player utilization, systems and dicipline" were shouted down.

It's not unreasonable that we we use his success to point out that maybe we had a point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad