Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
So just gloss over the 0.886 and being outplayed by Brossoit? Or he's only really been elite in 1 of the past 5 PO/Play-ins series.

Maybe it's a bit unfair on Helle, bc he's built a great track record and a high standard. But in a position where we should have a clear advantage in the PO's I don't think he's played upto it consistently since 17-18.

I realize His PO sv% is comparable to his regular season's, however relative to other PO goalies sv% it's closer to middle of the pack.

I'm not debating Helle didn't have a great playoffs, but how much of his playoff stats is him vs the team in front of him.......Price/Roy with the Habs for many years had a defensive team/system built in front of him to "prop" up his stats some, Helle never has had a strong defensive team in front of him.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm not debating Helle didn't have a great playoffs, but how much of his playoff stats is him vs the team in front of him.......Price/Roy with the Habs for many years had a defensive team/system built in front of him to "prop" up his stats some, Helle never has had a strong defensive team in front of him.
Idk, I felt like there were some goals he should have had :dunno:

And the debate on team vs him.... Can we say the same about NJDs performance vs CAR? Asking bc I haven't been watching so don't have to much of a qualified opinion.

I don't disagree an entire team wears an 0.886. But when throwing around the word elite, he hasn't had elite PO numbers recently to back it up imo. And I realize it's unfair to levy it on him but like I said he's built up the reputation and standard.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
So just gloss over the 0.886 and being outplayed by Brossoit? Or he's only really been elite in 1 of the past 5 PO/Play-ins series.

Maybe it's a bit unfair on Helle, bc he's built a great track record and a high standard. But in a position where we should have a clear advantage in the PO's I don't think he's played upto it consistently since 17-18.

I realize His PO sv% is comparable to his regular season's, however relative to other PO goalies sv% it's closer to middle of the pack.
Agree to disagree.

Helleybuyck’s numbers are a product of the team in front of him. A team that bleeds scoring chances and by the coach’s own admission has zero push back when they face adversity. Vegas stifled the Jets offense and rolled over them more so than Brossoit outplaying Helle.

In 3 of their 4 losses they scored a whopping 2 goals, 2 goals and 1 goal. Expecting him to give up less is unfair to him. He’s not prime HASEK.

He’d be a pretty big upgrade for the Devils and with their offense, wouldn’t have to stand on his head every night.

Or even on the Hurricanes who are a strong defensive team whose goaltender is an upcoming UFA

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Agree to disagree.

Helleybuyck’s numbers are a product of the team in front of him. A team that bleeds scoring chances and by the coach’s own admission has zero push back when they face adversity. Vegas stifled the Jets offense and rolled over them more so than Brossoit outplaying Helle.

In 3 of their 4 losses they scored a whopping 2 goals, 2 goals and 1 goal. Expecting him to give up less is unfair to him. He’s not prime HASEK.

He’d be a pretty big upgrade for the Devils and with their offense, wouldn’t have to stand on his head every night.

Or even on the Hurricanes who are a strong defensive team whose goaltender is an upcoming UFA
So can the same be said about NJD currently against the Canes?

And I don't disagree with much of what you said, although the shots /chances aren't scored to far apart in the 5gp against VGK.

However if we're throwing out the word and labelling him as elite in a PO context, imo the numbers/play should back it up. You're labelling him more product of a system now, which Helle has proved to be superior to the system in the regular season atleast.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Helle wasn’t good enough in the playoffs this year like pretty much the rest of his teammates.

I have an idea, why don’t we not play him 13 strait games down the stretch including back to backs chasing the playoffs. Maybe just one season we try to load manage him a bit.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I liked Maurice alot and i am happy for his success so far but anyway you slice it we needed change. I was very happy with Bowness this season too but it's clear we need to change some of the players now and it's time for a GM change.
I feel exactly the same as you, as I liked Maurice, and he even had a decent sense of humour. Probably a bit too nice of a guy to Coach, but his style is working in Florida for now. I'm happy for his success, and long tenure as a Coach, and would like to see him win 1 Cup, and it's looking very good right now.

With this being said, it was time for Maurice to move on from Winnipeg, as he couldn't get anything more out of the club. I think the Jets have a couple toxic players that need to be dealt, and if they stay, I don't think it matters who's coach.

I like Bowness, and what he's done, and he's willing to stand up to the players, and it will be interesting to see what he can do.

I wish all the best for Maurice in Florida, and their my choice to win the Cup. If you can knock off Boston, you can beat any team left right now.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Helle wasn’t good enough in the playoffs this year like pretty much the rest of his teammates.

I have an idea, why don’t we not play him 13 strait games down the stretch including back to backs chasing the playoffs. Maybe just one season we try to load manage him a bit.
Yeah so he wasn't elite this year. Much like CGY, MTL or STL. he was elite vs EDM for sure.

And I've been a proponent of resting him for a while. This season was shaping up to be one where we may have been able to do that however the second half slide threw a wrench in things.

The 13 straight games he was playing at his best tho and this team needed Ws. You'd think later in the season he'd be relatively worse (given the accumulation of season totals of minutes played or shots against) but through his career he's been extremely good later in the regular season.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Hellebuyck played in 64 games with vezina calibre play. Playoffs were not good this year but overall, his playoffs stats are decent.

Contending teams that are faltering with poor goalie play coming from lesser quality goaltenders to begin with should be all over Hellebuyck.

Love seeing blowouts against teams like the Devils and Oilers. :D

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Helles thing was lots of shots from the outside.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The Jets kept it pretty close for the most part 5 on 5 against Vegas. The big issue was special teams that series. They kicked our asses in both phases.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Can't believe its not Morrissey... the guy was basically the jets captain all season - at least on the ice...
Maybe on the ice, but the players made it very clear by coming out and actually saying that Wheeler was still the captain all season long in the room.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah so he wasn't elite this year. Much like CGY, MTL or STL. he was elite vs EDM for sure.

And I've been a proponent of resting him for a while. This season was shaping up to be one where we may have been able to do that however the second half slide threw a wrench in things.

The 13 straight games he was playing at his best tho and this team needed Ws. You'd think later in the season he'd be relatively worse (given the accumulation of season totals of minutes played or shots against) but through his career he's been extremely good later in the regular season.

Yea he is our rock but as we see even by the best goalies they all have their ups and downs. I really would like to see him less worked throughout the season but honestly we might be getting to a point where he is in his last days with us anyways.

Reactions: DRW204

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Wheeler being the Jet's nominee for the King Clancy award (leadership) is definitely someone trolling the team and fans.

Can't believe its not Morrissey... the guy was basically the jets captain all season - at least on the ice...

The award isn't about on-ice contributions but for contributions to the community away from the rink. Wheeler and his wife get involved in a lot of charities in the city and they've been pretty committed to Winnipeg.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The award isn't about on-ice contributions but for contributions to the community away from the rink. Wheeler and his wife get involved in a lot of charities in the city and they've been pretty committed to Winnipeg.
Maybe TNSE is trying to pump his trade value lol

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yup, you couldn't go wrong with Morrissey or Lowry in this category here as well. Both are highly active in charities as well. Seems like a nice sendoff for a deserving guy who might be sent out this summer.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Well we could have managed the load had the team not shat the bed leaving us in a nail biting finish with Calgary and Nashville. That's precisely why we played him 13 straight games down the stretch so we did make the playoffs. Win a couple of games in say January or February instead of being disinterested and maybe we have fresh Hellebuyck instead. No guarantee it makes a difference but it sure wouldn't have hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad