Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So for fun I went to Edmonton’s around the league thread last night and they have over 10 pages of joyus celebration taunting Calgary’s failed season. I have to say I am a bit jealous. The hate those to cities and fan bases have for each other is off the charts. We are really missing that epic rivalry.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
So for fun I went to Edmonton’s around the league thread last night and they have over 10 pages of joyus celebration taunting Calgary’s failed season. I have to say I am a bit jealous. The hate those to cities and fan bases have for each other is off the charts. We are really missing that epic rivalry.
We would likely only find such a rivalry if Saskatoon was to enter the league. I have never really felt the media generated rivalry with the Wild.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We would likely only find such a rivalry if Saskatoon was to enter the league. I have never really felt the media generated rivalry with the Wild.

Yup Riders Bombers have a nice Rivalry for sure but the level that the Flames Oilers get to is nuts.

Reactions: macmaroon

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Any know who has the tie breaker between the Panthers, Isles and Pens ?(if tied in points and Regulation wins)

First three tiebreakers are RW, ROW, then Wins.

Pittsburgh has a poor RW so they lose all tiebreakers to Isles and Panthers.

For Isles vs Florida, Isles have 1 less RW than Florida and are one point back. An OT loss to Montreal by Isles is not good enough (they would lose the tiebreak to Florida in that case).

If Isles get a regulation win against Montreal, they would be tied in RW, but would go one ahead of Florida in ROW, thus winning a tiebreak. In other words, if Isles get a regulation win against Montreal, and Florida gets an OT loss against Carolina, Isles win the tiebreak.

It’s an interesting situation. You would think Pittsburgh would sweep Chicago and CBJ (two teams fighting for worst record overall) and Isles beating Montreal. That would put Pittsburgh at 94 points (and a playoff berth), and Islanders at 93 points. Florida would have to win versus Carolina to get WC1 or they are eliminated. Costly OT loss by Florida to Toronto as it turns out.

Last edited:

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Yeah I hate the wild but it's not that seething level of hate
Losing a playoff round to them might change that. Maybe even after tonight.

1681220556503.gif

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Based on the bolded I don't think I misunderstood at all. If it wasn't meant to be a criticism or an attempt to find a fault, however minor, then why even bring it up?

Honestly, sometimes I think you must argue just for the sake of arguing.

It was a simple statement of agreement intended to highlight a change in circumstances between this off-season's hunt for new HC around the league and the previous year's hunt. He was in demand this year. He was not in demand prior to this year. That's it. Nothing more or less. There is nothing here to be arguing about. Absolutely nothing.

• Wow
Reactions: Jet

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Honestly, sometimes I think you must argue just for the sake of arguing.

It was a simple statement of agreement intended to highlight a change in circumstances between this off-season's hunt for new HC around the league and the previous year's hunt. He was in demand this year. He was not in demand prior to this year. That's it. Nothing more or less. There is nothing here to be arguing about. Absolutely nothing.

Not trying to argue it just seemed like an odd thing to bring up since it doesn't highlight any change in circumstances and his not being in demand the prior year had nothing to do with his coaching ability. Just seemed like it didn't have a point, that's all. The only thing I could've read from it, other than just saying something for the sake of saying something, in the context of the discussion, was that the Jets messed up by not moving for him in the year prior.

You're right there's nothing to argue about since your point didn't really have a point.

Reactions: Huffer

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Not trying to argue it just seemed like an odd thing to bring up since it doesn't highlight any change in circumstances and his not being in demand the prior year had nothing to do with his coaching ability. Just seemed like it didn't have a point, that's all. The only thing I could've read from it, other than just saying something for the sake of saying something, in the context of the discussion, was that the Jets messed up by not moving for him in the year prior.

You're right there's nothing to argue about since your point didn't really have a point.
Right, the full half hour. :)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This past off season so many fans loved Treliving’s big game hunting. Also I am with you a Guffman how does a coach justify Ritchie over Toffoli

It's another example on a long list of why "winning the offseason" isn't a thing.

Ultimately chemistry is a real thing and teams that tend to overhaul their rosters tend to have a big adjustment period. The best teams are those that tend to make smart complimentary additions to their rosters.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It's another example on a long list of why "winning the offseason" isn't a thing.

Ultimately chemistry is a real thing and teams that tend to overhaul their rosters tend to have a big adjustment period. The best teams are those that tend to make smart complimentary additions to their rosters.
I don't know how well the decision to build a team around Huberdeau and Kadri will age with the Flames.

If the Panthers make the playoffs, the Tkachuk trade is going to be the stinger.

For me the Panthers are quite the story, with 3rd string goalie Alex Lyon going on a 6 game winning streak to take over the goaltending, before losing to the Leafs in OT last night. Be interesting to see who Maurice goes with in net in the final game of the season vs. Carolina, which could be a must win game for the Panthers.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This is supposed to be a discussion forum. I discussed.

The point, which you don't seem to get since you deny its existence, was simply that he was not available to us this year precisely because circumstances had changed, which you also seem to be denying.

You are reading between the lines when there is nothing between the lines. If I had meant that Jets messed up by not moving for him the year before I would have said that.

Apparently there is something to argue about. You contend that my OP was pointless. I contend that it was not.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

Exactly team chemistry is what wins.
I was at a big card show last weekend and one of the questions they asked Steve Shutt what was the formula for winning all those Stanley Cups he said "team chemistry ... ALL the guys got along great including management and the owner Sam Pollock." The next day Denis Savard said the same thing too ... "team chemistry".
Brad Marchand basically said the same thing early this year when asked about the Bruins winning succuss this year.

Reactions: surixon

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Any know who has the tie breaker between the Panthers, Isles and Pens ?(if tied in points and Regulation wins)
Pens and Panthers control their fates. Pens are out if all are tied.

I had to edit: I'm confused because there are too many possibilities.

Right now Panthers have more RW. Isles need the RW to advance The win order degree of difficulty is RW, ROW, then SO, which makes sense for the reward.

The Panthers and Isles cannot have identical records so Gary doesn't have to flip a coin.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea most fans mistake activity as a good thing and that isn’t always the case. That first day of free agency is usually national overpay day.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
3-1 Hawks over Pens with about 7 min to go. Paul Maurice about to clinch a playoff spot if this holds up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad