Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lol so you have so much cognitive dissonance that you insist that A> The Jets didn't know that Comrie was 90 minutes away from keeping his rights or B> my scenario somehow is more incompetent.

I'll give you this Mort, you will go to any length to argue a point.

I never argue with myself. .... Well, hardly ever. At my age it isn't never any more.

Yes, your scenario is more incompetent. Mine is a dumbass mistake. Yours is deliberately doing something contrary to what management is supposed to be doing, building a winning roster.

If they really wanted to give Comrie a shot at starting somewhere, they could have signed him for a lot less than what Buffalo is paying him - which still could have been a nice raise in recognition of his good play last season - and traded him for whatever they could get. If he wanted to be able to bargain for more money or to choose a location, he had only 1 more year to UFA.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I never argue with myself. .... Well, hardly ever. At my age it isn't never any more.

Yes, your scenario is more incompetent. Mine is a dumbass mistake. Yours is deliberately doing something contrary to what management is supposed to be doing, building a winning roster.

If they really wanted to give Comrie a shot at starting somewhere, they could have signed him for a lot less than what Buffalo is paying him - which still could have been a nice raise in recognition of his good play last season - and traded him for whatever they could get. If he wanted to be able to bargain for more money or to choose a location, he had only 1 more year to UFA.

What they could get is a 6th or 7th. If they did allow Comrie to go elsewhere to get more money and more opportunity, that's something players and agents take note of. We're arguing about bottom of the roster players here as though the Jets aren't successful because of that. I'd put a good amount of money on the Jets having the same results with Comrie and Kovacevic than without them.

Reactions: Jet

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What they could get is a 6th or 7th. If they did allow Comrie to go elsewhere to get more money and more opportunity, that's something players and agents take note of. We're arguing about bottom of the roster players here as though the Jets aren't successful because of that. I'd put a good amount of money on the Jets having the same results with Comrie and Kovacevic than without them.

Yes, I know it is bottom of the roster players. But these things add up. Even a 6th or 7th is more than nothing.

It is way too soon to judge Rittich's season, or Comrie's either. But Comrie was very good last year and Rittich was not. Backup goalie is important. A good one would mean fewer games for Helle. While we know he likes to play a lot, I think he probably plays better if he plays a little less. Not to mention the W's and L's in the games the backup plays, regardless of whether he is playing well enough to reduce Helle's workload or not. Just based on a minimal number of games for the backup there could be a 4-5 W swing between a good one and a bad one. That is a lot of effect for 1 player, even 3 would be a lot.

Kovacevic over Schmidt might make 0 difference, but the 5+ mil in cap space could be significant.

I think players take a lot more note of how well a team does in the standings than in letting fringe players find a better fit for themselves. That kind of thing gets way too much weight around here, IMO.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yes, I know it is bottom of the roster players. But these things add up. Even a 6th or 7th is more than nothing.

It is way too soon to judge Rittich's season, or Comrie's either. But Comrie was very good last year and Rittich was not. Backup goalie is important. A good one would mean fewer games for Helle. While we know he likes to play a lot, I think he probably plays better if he plays a little less. Not to mention the W's and L's in the games the backup plays, regardless of whether he is playing well enough to reduce Helle's workload or not. Just based on a minimal number of games for the backup there could be a 4-5 W swing between a good one and a bad one. That is a lot of effect for 1 player, even 3 would be a lot.

Kovacevic over Schmidt might make 0 difference, but the 5+ mil in cap space could be significant.

I think players take a lot more note of how well a team does in the standings than in letting fringe players find a better fit for themselves. That kind of thing gets way too much weight around here, IMO.

To your last point, you're not a player or an agent so I wouldn't expect you to take note of those things.

The team that isn't spending to the cap right now isn't making use of that $5m in space, and that ignores what you might have to give up to move Schmidt in a league with very little cap space.

It's also too soon to judge Comrie's. He has one good year as a backup and 2 good games this season compared to a career up to that point that was pretty bad. If you're suggesting the worst case far fetched scenario that there's a 10 point difference between Rittich and Comrie, you're reaching pretty far there.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Go Blues !!

What’s so funny?
Much prefer St.Louis to the Oil
Jeez they looked good against the Oil, limiting shots and chances. I like their top 4 on defense. 5 GA through their first 3 games. They were my pick for 1st in the Central in the preseason. Going to be a tough test when they come to town.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To your last point, you're not a player or an agent so I wouldn't expect you to take note of those things.

The team that isn't spending to the cap right now isn't making use of that $5m in space, and that ignores what you might have to give up to move Schmidt in a league with very little cap space.

It's also too soon to judge Comrie's. He has one good year as a backup and 2 good games this season compared to a career up to that point that was pretty bad. If you're suggesting the worst case far fetched scenario that there's a 10 point difference between Rittich and Comrie, you're reaching pretty far there.

You don't have to do anything to move Schmidt before we got him, which is what I suggested. If that cap space had been there last year, they might have been able to keep Copp.

Right now, they are only 3.3 mil short of the cap with 2.7 mil in potential bonuses. Not spending that does not mean they would not spend if they had an additional 5 mil. But even if it just ends up in Chipman's pocket, I don't think it is a bad thing if his investment is doing a little better.

I said it was too soon to judge Comrie's also. 20 games, 1 guy goes 7-13, the other goes 12-8. Are those numbers a stretch for a backup? Maybe that is the extreme top end, but 3 games difference, 6 pts would not be unusual at all.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You don't have to do anything to move Schmidt before we got him, which is what I suggested. If that cap space had been there last year, they might have been able to keep Copp.

Right now, they are only 3.3 mil short of the cap with 2.7 mil in potential bonuses. Not spending that does not mean they would not spend if they had an additional 5 mil. But even if it just ends up in Chipman's pocket, I don't think it is a bad thing if his investment is doing a little better.

I said it was too soon to judge Comrie's also. 20 games, 1 guy goes 7-13, the other goes 12-8. Are those numbers a stretch for a backup? Maybe that is the extreme top end, but 3 games difference, 6 pts would not be unusual at all.

There's so much else that would go into the 5 win difference there that I can't really take that point seriously.

I'm not sure Copp was interested in staying.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Our bottom six’s thrilling start is why I wanted us to add another forward in addition to Gagner. Bleh.

You weren't alone there. I was hoping to see a d for forward trade to boast that area. We have prospect dmen being blocked and some vet dmen playing mediocre hockey. We needed that depth elsewhere in the line up. Maybe we can still make a move with a team struggling to defend in Vancouver.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's so much else that would go into the 5 win difference there that I can't really take that point seriously.

I'm not sure Copp was interested in staying.

I was sure he was NOT interested in staying. But before he signed for 1 year, he seemed to be indicating that he would be - for a fair price. So, who knows? All I said was that it would have been a possibility. Retaining Copp was only 1 possible use for that money. The fact that the Jets have a little unspent cap this season does not prove they wouldn't have spent the cap if they had had quite a bit larger amount to work with.

The point is that goalie is - by far - the most important single position in the game. A sub par backup can cost a team wins in more ways than one. Sub par goaltending in 20 games is a big one. Being limited to only 20 (or even fewer) games is another.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You weren't alone there. I was hoping to see a d for forward trade to boast that area. We have prospect dmen being blocked and some vet dmen playing mediocre hockey. We needed that depth elsewhere in the line up. Maybe we can still make a move with a team struggling to defend in Vancouver.
I guess I'm alone, but I've actually liked how our bottom six have played and I'd expect them to only get better as they settle into the systems.

I think if the first line was producing a expected we be at least 3-2 and there be much less angst.

It's surprising because both Connor and Schiefele looked in fire in exy. I also don't know how our pp looked so dynamic in preseason but have seemed to stop moving again.

More work to be done.

I do agree that it's time to move a defenseman for a forward, but I'm aiming higher. I'd like to get a top 6 guy and then spread them out over 3 scoring lines. Make the fourth line pure energy.

Schiefele Ehlers
Dubois Connor
Xx Wheeler
Lowry Apples

Take the remaining and fit them in

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I guess I'm alone, but I've actually liked how our bottom six have played and I'd expect them to only get better as they settle into the systems.

I think if the first line was producing a expected we be at least 3-2 and there be much less angst.

It's surprising because both Connor and Schiefele looked in fire in exy. I also don't know how our pp looked so dynamic in preseason but have seemed to stop moving again.

More work to be done.

I do agree that it's time to move a defenseman for a forward, but I'm aiming higher. I'd like to get a top 6 guy and then spread them out over 3 scoring lines. Make the fourth line pure energy.

Schiefele Ehlers
Dubois Connor
Xx Wheeler
Lowry Apples

Take the remaining and fit them in

I'd like to see something like that as well but we'd likely need to bring in one top 6 forward and a good middle 6 guy to make that work.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd like to see something like that as well but we'd likely need to bring in one top 6 forward and a good middle 6 guy to make that work.
I think we could get away with a top - middle 6 center, which I know is no easy feat. If we could find a team that wanted Schmidt I think that would be great. That would open up the cap space to afford the return. I know he's one of only two RHD but I think that makes it elementary that Heinola draws in which would be great. I thought Heinola and Dillon worked extremely well together.

Morrissey Demelo
Samberg Pionk
Dillon Heinola

That looks hella balanced to me. Then we have Stanley and Capobianco as warm bodies, and Chisolm and Gawanke as injury callups.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I think we could get away with a top - middle 6 center, which I know is no easy feat. If we could find a team that wanted Schmidt I think that would be great. That would open up the cap space to afford the return. I know he's one of only two RHD but I think that makes it elementary that Heinola draws in which would be great. I thought Heinola and Dillon worked extremely well together.

Morrissey Demelo
Samberg Pionk
Dillon Heinola

That looks hella balanced to me. Then we have Stanley and Capobianco as warm bodies, and Chisolm and Gawanke as injury callups.
Watching Schmidt this season and don't get how Heinola would/could be worse!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Don't anyone hold your breath waiting for a meaningful trade - or even a meaningless one for that matter.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Morrissey Demelo
Samberg Pionk
Dillon Heinola

I like that D corps better than what we are seeing so far - but Schmidt doesn't return a top - middle 6 C. He doesn't return a 3C either. His trade value is pretty low.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I like that D corps better than what we are seeing so far - but Schmidt doesn't return a top - middle 6 C. He doesn't return a 3C either. His trade value is pretty low.
I don't know about that. He might not be what the Jets need, but he is offensively gifted and is a RHD to boot. His contract probably hurts his value though, but for a team that is looking for a right hand offensive vet to pair with a steady middle six LD would likely see him as attractive.

I think we would have to take a guy who is overpaid back, but if it improves our roster make up its worth it IMO

Reactions: Hunter368

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know about that. He might not be what the Jets need, but he is offensively gifted and is a RHD to boot. His contract probably hurts his value though, but for a team that is looking for a right hand offensive vet to pair with a steady middle six LD would likely see him as attractive.

I think we would have to take a guy who is overpaid back, but if it improves our roster make up its worth it IMO

He is not a RHD. He is a lefty who plays the right side. Not that that affects the issue.

His contract does hurt. Retaining 1-2 mil might make a difference, especially with so few teams with any cap space. Taking back another overpaid player might be another way to boost his value.

I'm not saying his market value is nil, or negative, just pretty low. The Mtl proposal might have some merit, but we would need to add something decent - and younger.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don't think Schmidt has been bad, actually. I don't think he provides value for contract though, and he can't carry Stanley (not sure if anyone can).

Agreed, Nate has been solid this year so far. He hasn't put up big offensive numbers but then again no one has as they struggle to adapt the new systems and go defense first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad