Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Feels a bit pedantic - their position is defence, and that's the position I was referring to, not their overall ability to play defence.

I don't think it is pedantic at all. You suggested that Rielly and Gio are not part of their D problem. I simply disagree. I think they are, although in Rielly's case his weak D is offset by his offensive contribution. But Laffs don't really need that offence from him with the scoring they have up front. They do need stronger defensive play.

Rielly might have different value on another team, one that has good all around D but is challenged to create goals. For that matter, he would be good on the Leafs if the rest of their D corps was better defensively. At the price, Gio is probably good value on a lot of teams but I really don't know how well he is playing this year. Offensively, he has 1 A in 5 games.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You have no idea what the org was doing. Comrie probably had next to zero value so letting him walk to pursue his dreams might have been the right thing to do from a human perspective.

I know it's weird to consider some companies care about their people, but I get the sense that is true with the Jets.

And you are just making this up out of thin air. Not that it is impossible. But the NHL is about winning. Jets have a better chance of winning more games with Comrie than with Rittich.

He probably didn't have a lot of value, but he played very well last year. He had a 92.0 sv% last year in 19 games. Surely he would have been worth a 7th. But he should have been kept as backup. One more year and he could have gone to UFA if he didn't like whatever offer Jets gave him.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You have no idea what the org was doing. Comrie probably had next to zero value so letting him walk to pursue his dreams might have been the right thing to do from a human perspective.

I know it's weird to consider some companies care about their people, but I get the sense that is true with the Jets.
It's early yet, but with Comrie, Kovacevic and even Svechnikov off to great starts while the Jets have arguably the league's worst backup, are seemingly content with a defensive corps that looks about as bad as it ever has, and only Sam Gagner with a goal from the Bottom 6 so far...it kinda makes you wonder if the Jets really have the luxury of squandering players like they're the 1950's New York Yankees.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
It's early yet, but with Comrie, Kovacevic and even Svechnikov off to great starts while the Jets have arguably the league's worst backup, are seemingly content with a defensive corps that looks about as bad as it ever has, and only Sam Gagner with a goal from the Bottom 6 so far...it kinda makes you wonder if the Jets really have the luxury of squandering players like they're the 1950's New York Yankees.
Agreed. If they decided to let Comrie go so he had the chance to win a starting job, then that’s a brain dead decision.

Like Mort said, the Jets could’ve kept Comrie and if he had a solid season again he’d get offers in free agency next year to be a starter somewhere.

Svechnikov is another one where they had his rights already, so why let him go for nothing when this team already has depth problems?

If True North is content with “going for it” with this roster, then f***ing go for it. Bringing in No Save Dave, Sam Gagner and that Finnish guy (and I guess Morgan Barron) to replace Copp, Stastny, Comrie, and Svechnikov, doesn’t seem like a set of moves an active, aggressive team with Cup aspirations would make.

We’re expecting a lot from our young guys, which is fine, but we don’t have much of a fallback plan.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Let’s not write off big save Dave. He did have a great preseason And he was good for 2/3 of the game last night.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Agreed. If they decided to let Comrie go so he had the chance to win a starting job, then that’s a brain dead decision.

Like Mort said, the Jets could’ve kept Comrie and if he had a solid season again he’d get offers in free agency next year to be a starter somewhere.

Svechnikov is another one where they had his rights already, so why let him go for nothing when this team already has depth problems?

If True North is content with “going for it” with this roster, then f***ing go for it. Bringing in No Save Dave, Sam Gagner and that Finnish guy (and I guess Morgan Barron) to replace Copp, Stastny, Comrie, and Svechnikov, doesn’t seem like a set of moves an active, aggressive team with Cup aspirations would make.

We’re expecting a lot from our young guys, which is fine, but we don’t have much of a fallback plan.

Keeping any of Comrie, Svech or Kovacevic would make zero difference in making the team more of a contender. There's a reason that they all got picked up by the worst teams in the league. Maybe Comrie could get a few more wins for the team than Rittich, but if that matters it means that the team is barely squeaking into the playoffs.

Reactions: surixon

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Apart from a iffy first period where you really can't fault him on the first three goals he played well and gave the Jets a chance to come back if only they could of scored a few more goals. Lets see where he is at after 5-8 games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think they made a mistake on Comrie but I'm not all that perturbed by loosing Kovacevik/Svech especially if we didn't have roster spots for them. What I'm annoyed with is not going out and bringing in meaningful upgrades to our bottom 6.

We can cry all we want about Svech but we saw first hand that he has to be utilized in a specific way to have success on this team. If that role isn't open then the only spot is the pb for him.

Kovacevik wasn't beating out DeMelo for his defensive RD role. Our other RD are offensive guys and will likely be replaced in the lineup by Heinola.

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
It's gonna happen just like the Justin Hole hype thread...and all of HF responding to that hype

for those bad at lip reading, it is: Jesus f***ing christ....f*** me

Harry Potter should have chosen Slytherin :sarcasm:

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
And you are just making this up out of thin air. Not that it is impossible. But the NHL is about winning. Jets have a better chance of winning more games with Comrie than with Rittich.

He probably didn't have a lot of value, but he played very well last year. He had a 92.0 sv% last year in 19 games. Surely he would have been worth a 7th. But he should have been kept as backup. One more year and he could have gone to UFA if he didn't like whatever offer Jets gave him.
I'm just deferring to the fact that I am not intimately aware of the situation that led to the Jets allowing him to walk.

Tell me - do you think the org doesn't know the precise details of their players contractual details? Do you think they were not aware that he was minutes played away from becoming a UFA at the end of the year? I find that extremely hard to believe.

You say I'm making something up out of thin air. I'm just trying to come up with a logical conclusion as to why they would allow his contract to lapse. They were either incompetent, didn't care, or wanted to allow the player a chance to explore other options.

Which one do you think it is?

I think they made a mistake on Comrie but I'm not all that perturbed by loosing Kovacevik/Svech especially if we didn't have roster spots for them. What I'm annoyed with is not going out and bringing in meaningful upgrades to our bottom 6.

We can cry all we want about Svech but we saw first hand that he has to be utilized in a specific way to have success on this team. If that role isn't open then the only spot is the pb for him.

Kovacevik wasn't beating out DeMelo for his defensive RD role. Our other RD are offensive guys and will likely be replaced in the lineup by Heinola.
I think our bottom six is the most improved part of our roster. Looking at the start of last year vs. the start of this year, we added Appleton, Gagner, Maenalnen, Barron, and Jonsson-FJallby, and jettisoned Toninato, Harkins, and all the other scrubs we had there.

You don't think those are meaningful upgrades? Who would you have brought in?

Not to mention, we did all that whilst keeping cap $$$ open for an addition later based on what need develops most through this season.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I'm just deferring to the fact that I am not intimately aware of the situation that led to the Jets allowing him to walk.

Tell me - do you think the org doesn't know the precise details of their players contractual details? Do you think they were not aware that he was minutes played away from becoming a UFA at the end of the year? I find that extremely hard to believe.

You say I'm making something up out of thin air. I'm just trying to come up with a logical conclusion as to why they would allow his contract to lapse. They were either incompetent, didn't care, or wanted to allow the player a chance to explore other options.

I think our bottom six is the most improved part of our roster. Looking at the start of last year vs. the start of this year, we added Appleton, Gagner, Maenalnen, Barron, and Jonsson-FJallby, and jettisoned Toninato, Harkins, and all the other scrubs we had there.

Not to mention, we did all that whilst keeping cap $$$ open for an addition later based on what need develops most through this season.

They lost Copp and Stastny tho. One of them is considered top 6, one bottom 6. Now they have a bottom 6 of guys that you definitely don't want in the top 6, which is worrying. But maybe they will be good for the roles the Jets want them to fill.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Fourth line is trending well and I'm happy with the balance Gus and Gagner have brought to it.

It's more the big minute playing third line and the complete lack of offense that I'm concerned about. I guess I just don't like the checking line philosophy in today's game.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Comrie signed a 2 year deal and is getting paid. Some of you all want to slave shackle him and keep him as Helly's pet for another year. Let the man get paid and just realize that the Jets do draft well with their players and teams covet them
Yeah, it's a sweet deal for Comrie, good for him to get paid. The CBA allowed us to retain RFA rights just by playing him a few more games. Wanting the Jets to do that, instead of running Helle into the ground last year is hardly "slave shackling" him. I think I've heard of a slave or two that would happily change places with him. It's nice the Jets draft well and other teams covet some of our players, but does that mean we should be giving them away when we could've just played him a few more games and avoid this? It's good to be the nice guy and let him get paid somewhere else, but this is a business and letting Comrie go the way they did is just poor asset management. He was successful here as a backup last year and could've been brought back. Nothing about me wanting to keep him as a "pet," but rather using the CBA to our advantage to retain a player that was solid for us last year. Backup goaltending isn't a huge deal and the wheels could still fall off Comrie and onto Rittich, but I still don't like how they managed this.

Keeping any of Comrie, Svech or Kovacevic would make zero difference in making the team more of a contender. There's a reason that they all got picked up by the worst teams in the league. Maybe Comrie could get a few more wins for the team than Rittich, but if that matters it means that the team is barely squeaking into the playoffs.

I don’t care much about losing Kovacevic and I doubt he stays in Montreal all year. He’ll probably end up back here with the Moose. I've outlined my thoughts on Comrie above, and while I don't think it's the end of the world, I do think it's bad asset management and I don't really see anyway around that. Svech also isn't some end-of-the-world-kinda-loss. He's a useful depth piece that we could've kept around for cheap but elected not to. Given the shape of our bottom six, I don't see why we don't at least bring him to camp and let him fight for a spot on the roster. If he gets beat out by someone, send him to the AHL - if he gets claimed on waivers, so be it. I'm not furious at this decision or anything, I just find it to be an odd decision.

But Svech/Comrie/Kovacevic are footnotes, the main issue is not bringing in any upgrades to the bottom six, like surixon said. Gagner is a good pickup for the fourth line, but that's all we've done. We've lost Copp and Stastny now and haven't seemed to have taken much notice. We didn't do much to address that. And maybe that's because, being an undesirable location, we can't sign anyone. But if that's the case, why are we letting useful players go when we still had team control?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
ESPN

Spin: Comrie became the first goalie in Sabres history to post 40-plus saves while winning consecutive games. He was impressive Thursday, and the Sabres jumped out to an early lead to make his job easier. The 27-year-old is 2-1-0 with nine goals allowed on 128 shots through three appearances, and it looks like he might have the edge over Craig Anderson for the starting job in goal. The Sabres' road trip continues in Vancouver on Saturday, so it'll be interesting to see which goalie gets the nod for that contest.
And with this hot streak brings his career to .908
Doesn’t scream starter yet.
Good on him he had a great year backing Helle up but it’s early.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think they made a mistake with Comrie's contract. To explain it I have to make something up myself. I make up that someone, not known who, screwed up and it flew under the radar until the nick of too late. Your scenario is not impossible but, IMO, it would represent an even greater level of incompetence.

I don't think either Toni or Harkins is a scrub. Toni has been a good 4th liner/13th man. Harkins has not adapted well to playing with Lowry. Funny how that keeps happening and the lack of production is never Lowry's fault. I do love Lowry BTW, but I acknowledge his weaknesses. Along with those "scrubs", we also lost Stastny and Copp. None of those additions replace either one of those players.

Through 4 games the 3rd line of Barron - Lowry - Appleton has managed to score exactly a total of 4 assists - combined. Is that a big improvement over last year's 3rd line? A little soon to say one way or the other but it is not a marked improvement so far.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, it's a sweet deal for Comrie, good for him to get paid. The CBA allowed us to retain RFA rights just by playing him a few more games. Wanting the Jets to do that, instead of running Helle into the ground last year is hardly "slave shackling" him. I think I've heard of a slave or two that would happily change places with him. It's nice the Jets draft well and other teams covet some of our players, but does that mean we should be giving them away when we could've just played him a few more games and avoid this? It's good to be the nice guy and let him get paid somewhere else, but this is a business and letting Comrie go the way they did is just poor asset management. He was successful here as a backup last year and could've been brought back. Nothing about me wanting to keep him as a "pet," but rather using the CBA to our advantage to retain a player that was solid for us last year. Backup goaltending isn't a huge deal and the wheels could still fall off Comrie and onto Rittich, but I still don't like how they managed this.

I don’t care much about losing Kovacevic and I doubt he stays in Montreal all year. He’ll probably end up back here with the Moose. I've outlined my thoughts on Comrie above, and while I don't think it's the end of the world, I do think it's bad asset management and I don't really see anyway around that. Svech also isn't some end-of-the-world-kinda-loss. He's a useful depth piece that we could've kept around for cheap but elected not to. Given the shape of our bottom six, I don't see why we don't at least bring him to camp and let him fight for a spot on the roster. If he gets beat out by someone, send him to the AHL - if he gets claimed on waivers, so be it. I'm not furious at this decision or anything, I just find it to be an odd decision.

But Svech/Comrie/Kovacevic are footnotes, the main issue is not bringing in any upgrades to the bottom six, like surixon said. Gagner is a good pickup for the fourth line, but that's all we've done. We've lost Copp and Stastny now and haven't seemed to have taken much notice. We didn't do much to address that. And maybe that's because, being an undesirable location, we can't sign anyone. But if that's the case, why are we letting useful players go when we still had team control?

I'm not furious about any of them either. Taken all together, it is 3 instances of bad asset management by a team that can't afford bad asset management. Your last line sums it up pretty well.

But while we are at it, lets look at those 3 players right now. Comrie is off to a great start. Svechnikov has 3 pts in 5 games. That is more than anyone in our bottom 6. He also showed last year that he is capable of playing higher up and at least not hurting you too badly. Something we could always use. Also, he is a big body who plays a style that can get under an opponents skin. Not super physical, but more so than some of our other options. Kovacevic has played in all 5 games for a team that actually has a slightly better record than we do. He has 0 pts but apparently has played well defensively. Again, something that we could use.

Before getting Schmidt last year I expected Kovacevic to be our 3RD. We would have gotten less offense than we got from Schmidt but probably better defense. It would have meant JMo and DeMelo together for the whole year. That's a good thing. We also would have saved 5+ mil in cap space, enough to have signed Copp. He still might have moved on but at least it would not have been because we couldn't find room for him. Who knows what else we might have done with that cap space?

Kovacevic is never going to ba a 1st pair Dman, and not likely ever a 2nd pair Dman either. But he could be an above avg, or at least avg, 3rd pair Dman and a RHS to boot.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think they made a mistake with Comrie's contract. To explain it I have to make something up myself. I make up that someone, not known who, screwed up and it flew under the radar until the nick of too late. Your scenario is not impossible but, IMO, it would represent an even greater level of incompetence.

I don't think either Toni nor Harkins is a scrub. Toni has been a good 4th liner/13th man. Harkins has not adapted well to playing with Lowry. Funny how that keeps happening and the lack of production is never Lowry's fault. I do love Lowry BTW, but I acknowledge his weaknesses. Along with those "scrubs", we also lost Stastny and Copp. None of those additions replace either one of those players.

Through 4 games the 3rd line of Barron - Lowry - Appleton has managed to score exactly a total of 4 assists - combined. Is that a big improvement over last year's 3rd line? A little soon to say one way or the other but it is not a marked improvement so far.
Lol so you have so much cognitive dissonance that you insist that A> The Jets didn't know that Comrie was 90 minutes away from keeping his rights or B> my scenario somehow is more incompetent.

I'll give you this Mort, you will go to any length to argue a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad