Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
My god Holloway got crunched last night

Oilers getting no scoring outside the big guys
Feel bad for Holloway - really liked his game in the young stars and preseason, but the regular season is none of those.

Really got a suicide pass.

I do like Lybushkin though - Leafs made a mistake letting him go

Reactions: surixon

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It wasn't even 3 full games, IIRC -- something like 8 periods.

But it wasn't anyone's fault, dear lord no.

Anyway good on him, and here's hoping for BigSave/SieveDave
I wouldn't say that it's no ones fault - what I would suggest is we really don't know what went on behind the scenes. If the org really let him go by the mistake of letting him walk to FA then I think someone should be put on probation.

I did suggest that maybe the team purposefully let him walk to FA because he wanted an opportunity to play more and maybe even be a starter. We really don't know the behind the scenes with him because I would be shocked if the org simply didn't know.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They had guys like Spezza and Simmonds doing those jobs for the past couple of years.

The Leafs issue isn't "intangibles". It's defence that's very thin behind Rielly and Giordano, and goaltending.

You hate fast paced exciting offence driven hockey?

Are Rielly and Gio actually that good defensively? Rielly is an offensive Dman and Gio is 39 YO!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
View attachment 595500

Seriously though, "hate" is too strong a word. Just not a huge fan. I'm an old school knuckle dragger ... I like my hockey defensive and violent, but I have enjoyed the jets aggressive offensive style of years past (17/18 season).

I am just enjoying the confirmation bias of seeing a team built on analytics suck, even if it can be hand-waived away by "bad goaltending" and defence. I mean I thought good numbers in fancy stats were supposed to overcome that with ease. Just don't like this iteration of the Leafs other than Tavares, they seem like soft self-centered stat padders to me. YMMV.

I don't know. His reputation is that he's the analytics GM (shrug).

He may be the analytics GM but he has not put together a team that stacks up that well 'analytically'. I don't think there is any analytics basis to counting on bad goaltending to win in the NHL. The same goes for the D.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Connor Garland a healthy scratch in Vancouver. Garland would be awesome beside Dubois IMO. 4 more years at $4.95 million. A bit pricey but manageable.

The Canucks need D.

Stan for Garland - get it done Chevy!
Oh wait, why is Garland being healthy scratched?

Wasn't it only 3 more games and the Jets would have retained his rights?

Yes - and he didn't need to play 3 more games. He just needed to appear in 3 more games. 5 minutes each in 3 games would have been enough. Not that I'm suggesting using him that way. Just that it would have been enough.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Are Rielly and Gio actually that good defensively? Rielly is an offensive Dman and Gio is 39 YO!

Gio is worth more than his current deal. Rielly is top end dman, his defending isn't top end but overall he's very good and a net positive.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I wouldn't say that it's no ones fault - what I would suggest is we really don't know what went on behind the scenes. If the org really let him go by the mistake of letting him walk to FA then I think someone should be put on probation.

I did suggest that maybe the team purposefully let him walk to FA because he wanted an opportunity to play more and maybe even be a starter. We really don't know the behind the scenes with him because I would be shocked if the org simply didn't know.
So retain his rights and trade him for a pick. Get something for him. Poor asset management to spend years of investment developing a player and getting nothing in return.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone else get the feeling that if FLA misses the playoffs, Mau will get a pass because of these injuries?

Maybe we should start some kind of pool to see how long he'll last there :laugh:
:dunno:
I think FLA still has a pretty good group of fwds that can carry the bill, along with above average goaltending. And those two dmen are not gone the full season.

Average coach lasts 3ish years and he signed for 3 so we'll see if he lasts.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Feel bad for Holloway - really liked his game in the young stars and preseason, but the regular season is none of those.

Really got a suicide pass.

I do like Lybushkin though - Leafs made a mistake letting him go

855470.jpg

Reactions: SLAYER

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Gio is worth more than his current deal. Rielly is top end dman, his defending isn't top end but overall he's very good and a net positive.

Didn't say anything about Gio's worth relative to his contract. Didn't say Rielly wasn't a top pair Dman either. But how good are those 2 defensively? That's all I commented on.

So retain his rights and trade him for a pick. Get something for him. Poor asset management to spend years of investment developing a player and getting nothing in return.

He has got his career sv% up to 90.7 now, FWIW.

Konecny with his 4th goal and 6th point tonight.
Just sayin'.

Just sayin' what?

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Didn't say anything about Gio's worth relative to his contract. Didn't say Rielly wasn't a top pair Dman either. But how good are those 2 pair defensively? That's all I commented on.

Just sayin' what?

Their defensive impact isn't as important as their overall impact on the game.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Super 16: Stars, Flames rise, Lightning, Oilers sink in power rankings

Thought this was interesting. The Jets have wins over the second and fourth place teams on this rankings list, but not a single vote in the top 16. I get that our first few games showed a lot of growing pains and there were definitely periods where we got dominated, but apparently we're not even worthy of discussion. Here's hoping tonight we continue to find a way to prove the doubters wrong and win the b2b in Vegas!

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Super 16: Stars, Flames rise, Lightning, Oilers sink in power rankings

Thought this was interesting. The Jets have wins over the second and fourth place teams on this rankings list, but not a single vote in the top 16. I get that our first few games showed a lot of growing pains and there were definitely periods where we got dominated, but apparently we're not even worthy of discussion. Here's hoping tonight we continue to find a way to prove the doubters wrong and win the b2b in Vegas!
Not one person (out of 13) chose Winnipeg as a top 16 team. Geez….

My favourite power ranking

24. (24) Winnipeg Jets​

Another annoying team that hasn’t played. Want to drop them lower but can’t until they take the ice.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Didn't say anything about Gio's worth relative to his contract. Didn't say Rielly wasn't a top pair Dman either. But how good are those 2 pair defensively? That's all I commented on.

Just sayin' what?
That he's got four goals and six points.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad