Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I actually don't hate the Leafs the way most people do. But I do hate the current iteration of the Leafs built by Dubas -- gutless fancy analytics darlings. I'm happy to see them crash and burn because I just hate that style of hockey and glad to see it doesn't work like I thought it wouldn't. You actually do need those much-maligned "intangibles".

They had guys like Spezza and Simmonds doing those jobs for the past couple of years.

The Leafs issue isn't "intangibles". It's defence that's very thin behind Rielly and Giordano, and goaltending.

You hate fast paced exciting offence driven hockey?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I actually don't hate the Leafs the way most people do. But I do hate the current iteration of the Leafs built by Dubas -- gutless fancy analytics darlings. I'm happy to see them crash and burn because I just hate that style of hockey and glad to see it doesn't work like I thought it wouldn't. You actually do need those much-maligned "intangibles".

The Leafs finished last season with 115 points and took Tampa to 7 games where their goaltending came up short. Now they have a worse goaltender so I'm expecting them to take a bit of a step back, but I'm pretty sure they play some effective hockey.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
The Leafs finished last season with 115 points and took Tampa to 7 games where their goaltending came up short. Now they have a worse goaltender so I'm expecting them to take a bit of a step back, but I'm pretty sure they play some effective hockey.
Do they have more sandpaper than last year or are they more like the charmin’ bear (ultra soft vanilla scented) this year?

Reactions: kanadalainen

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
They had guys like Spezza and Simmonds doing those jobs for the past couple of years.

The Leafs issue isn't "intangibles". It's defence that's very thin behind Rielly and Giordano, and goaltending.

It's Rielly or bust for the Leafs atm. Giordano is 39 years old for heavens sake, and Muzzin/Brodie aren't spring chickens either.

What they really need is a 6'7 defensemen in his early 20s, a first round draft choice with potential to be the next Chara. Do it Dubas, we're waiting!
:sarcasm:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's Rielly or bust for the Leafs atm. Giordano is 39 years old for heavens sake, and Muzzin/Brodie aren't spring chickens either.

What they really need is a 6'7 defensemen in his early 20s, a first round draft choice with potential to be the next Chara. Do it Dubas, we're waiting!
:sarcasm:

Giordano is 39 but he's still statistically and analytically worth much more than he's making right now. Massive hometown discount.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
It’s early but the Leafs don’t look like Stanley Cup winners with the Goaltending they are getting. They needed to trade for a front line goalie but that would of costed a Nylander or Marner and boy blunder Dubas thought he had done enough due to cap restrictions. That being said they probably come here on Saturday with their fake Jets fans contingent and thrash us

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
is dubas really an analytics gm? some of his moves seems to have been anti-analytics as they come

edit- maybe anti analytics isn't the right word.... but typical or traditional GM moves.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

angry cat.jpg

Seriously though, "hate" is too strong a word. Just not a huge fan. I'm an old school knuckle dragger ... I like my hockey defensive and violent, but I have enjoyed the jets aggressive offensive style of years past (17/18 season).

I am just enjoying the confirmation bias of seeing a team built on analytics suck, even if it can be hand-waived away by "bad goaltending" and defence. I mean I thought good numbers in fancy stats were supposed to overcome that with ease. Just don't like this iteration of the Leafs other than Tavares, they seem like soft self-centered stat padders to me. YMMV.

is dubas really an analytics gm? some of his moves seems to have been anti-analytics as they come

edit- maybe anti analytics isn't the right word.... but typical or traditional GM moves.
I don't know. His reputation is that he's the analytics GM (shrug).

Reactions: kanadalainen

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I think he was moreso in the past, then realized it wasn't paying off and brought in Simmonds to be "tougher to play against". He should have found a goalie that can make timely saves instead

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
View attachment 595500

Seriously though, "hate" is too strong a word. Just not a huge fan. I'm an old school knuckle dragger ... I like my hockey defensive and violent, but I have enjoyed the jets aggressive offensive style of years past (17/18 season).

I am just enjoying the confirmation bias of seeing a team built on analytics suck, even if it can be hand-waived away by "bad goaltending" and defence. I mean I thought good numbers in fancy stats were supposed to overcome that with ease. Just don't like this iteration of the Leafs other than Tavares, they seem like soft self-centered stat padders to me. YMMV.

Good numbers in fancy stats don't equate to wins. They usually can explain why a team is doing well, why a team is doing poorly, and whether a team is likely to turn around a bad streak/riding luck on a winning streak.

The Devils are another example. They're playing very well in all facets except their goaltending is heroically awful.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 595500

You must've really enjoyed Colorado and Tampa then :laugh:

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
But, that Athletic article which ranked all 32 teams had the Leafs at #1. They can't possibly be shaky :sarcasm: :laugh:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Unless Brodie's game has fallen off a cliff, he should also be a good top-4 d-man for the Leafs. Leafs also don't fully know what they have in Sandin and liljegren. Maybe they take the next step and become solid top-4 d-men?

Vancouver blowing those games isn't surprising in a way. I expect a lot of blown leads from them this season. They still have one of the worst collective group of defensemen in the league. They will not make the playoffs again.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
There was an article that ranked the Leafs at #1? When Tampa exists? Who have better depth at virtually every position.

The only area they may even approach being number 1 is the high potency of the dope factor...

And I'm not talking B.C. hybrid type dope...

Talkin' native dopes...

:popcorn:

Reactions: RabidOne

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
There was an article that ranked the Leafs at #1? When Tampa exists? Who have better depth at virtually every position.

Yep, was posted on the main boards - The Athletic has ranked their top 30 NHL teams... Leafs and Flames at the top

The article: 2022-23 NHL team previews: Projections and ranking of every NHL team

The full list
32. Arizona Coyotes
31. Montreal Canadiens
30. Chicago Blackhawks
29. Buffalo Sabres
28. Philadelphia Flyers
27. Columbus Blue Jackets
26. San Jose Sharks
25. Anaheim Ducks
24. Detroit Red Wings
23. Seattle Kraken
22. Ottawa Senators