Not open for further replies.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com

Making the Panthers proud.
25000sign.GIF

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I meant protected from the lottery altogether. Ottawa deferred the pick to 2019 which had no protection. I thought that trade had sparked an epiphany in general managers where they would protect picks from the lottery no matter what, but apparently not because we just saw Ben Chiarot go for an unprotected 1st :dunno:
just took a look at some other deals involving protected 1sts with similar placing clauses (ie: miss POs, top-10 etc). it looks like that is pretty standard for the following pick to be unprotected when the initial pick has a protection clause. Some examples: STL acquiring Schenn, VAN acquiring JT Miller, PIT acquiring Kessel, or recently with Eichel and VGK. admit i browsed quickly, but don't think there's anything involved protection over multiple years. there was nothing out of the ordinary with that 1st rounder from OTT.

Last edited:

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Another p.o.'ed coach ..... his team took 8 after 2 periods against Ottawa last night

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
What's going on with the Wild, Dumba a healthy scratch, Greenway maybe on the market
makes sense for them to trade greenway, they have hardly any capspace and a couple good rfa's to sign and will need to find a dumba replacement

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Nobody suggested any punishments here, you're the first to suggest it.

Seeing as players miss warm ups for all kinds of reason I'm curious why the Flyers made this public?
It's great that they wanted to show their support in this situation.
It could complicate their attempts to trade him, if that's what they are doing.
I guess they chose to take a stand even if it hurts themselves a bit?

None

Feb 22, 2012
Seeing as players miss warm ups for all kinds of reason I'm curious why the Flyers made this public?

My guess is that a player who doesn't really like Provorov or his stance all that much spilled the beans to Frank Seravalli.

Could've been the team but as you said, they have a direct financial and hockey stake in preserving the value of their players.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
My guess is that a player who doesn't really like Provorov or his stance all that much spilled the beans to Frank Seravalli.

Could've been the team but as you said, they have a direct financial and hockey stake in preserving the value of their players.
Right, it didn't occur to me that the players could be like wrestlers with "dirt sheet" writers and passing on behind the scene info.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

A player not in warm-ups and then playing in the game will get a question about it after the fact.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A player not in warm-ups and then playing in the game will get a question about it after the fact.
The Flyers look just as bad as Provorov on this one. And seriously if a player refuses to warmup he should be scratched from the game.

None

Feb 22, 2012

There were rumors going around as soon as it actually happened though. I'm not sure it's that uncommon for someone to miss warmup and then dress for the game that someone would connect the dots like that and then have the media confirm the rumors during the game.

To me I think a logical conclusion is that the someone was tipped off before the game and that's where the rumors started.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Too many people know where that body is buried. Would have looked worse if the Flyers tried to cover it up and it came out anyways. I would've done the same as what Flyers did. The cost to organizational image (and to the parent company Comcast) is more important in such a situation than trying to maximize a trade asset.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The reffing problem needs to be addressed soon.
All we ask is be consistent and call infractions don’t manage games thinking you need to control.
Also DOPS needs fixing.
Owners are you listening?
Can’t blame the coaches or the fans for being pissed.
This season seems particularly bad.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I'm in constant awe at how much of a unit Boston is this year, and I'm reminded of how much I wanted Jim Montgomery as a HC. >_>
Monty was my #1 pick for the Jets HC position from day 1. It’s just awesome to see how well the Bruins are playing under his watch. I hate the Bruins but Monty is a great person. I am glad he turned things around.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
The Flyers look just as bad as Provorov on this one. And seriously if a player refuses to warmup he should be scratched from the game.

Why should he be scratched from the game when the NHL gives players optional choices on what events to support?

Reactions: Cypruss

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Why should he be scratched from the game when the NHL gives players optional choices on what events to support?
Warmup is a player expectation. Can a player say I’m not into practice today and not go. As much as I disagree with what Provonov did if he wanted to make a statement go out for warmup in a practice jersey and take the heat for your choice.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Warmup is a player expectation. Can a player say I’m not into practice today and not go. As much as I disagree with what Provonov did if he wanted to make a statement go out for warmup in a practice jersey and take the heat for your choice.

As an organization, would you think it’s a good idea to have Provorov warm-up in his Philly gear, while everyone else was wearing their rainbow shirts and have him stick out like a sore thumb? Obviously not.

Provorov was not objecting to the warm-up itself. He was objecting to wearing the rainbow shirt. Don’t pretend like Provorov was objecting to standard player responsibilities here.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
As an organization, would you think it’s a good idea to have Provorov warm-up in his Philly gear, while everyone else was wearing their rainbow shirts and have him stick out like a sore thumb? Obviously not.

Provorov was not objecting to the warm-up itself. He was objecting to wearing the rainbow shirt. Don’t pretend like Provorov was objecting to standard player responsibilities here.
If you are going to take this stand as a player and organization then do it and take the heat. If not scratch the player. The organization handled this even worse than the player. And inclusion has nothing to do with religion. Religion is your own moral code not your right to pass judgement on how the rest of an extremely diverse world lives their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad