Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It wasnt long ago that all these tolerant people were ready to exclude a decent sized swath of people from society because they didn't see eye to eye on a medical procedure.

There's hypocrisy there for sure. If you're 99% tolerant, you're still 100% intolerant.

The problem is that today, many on both sides only tolerate viewpoints they agree with.

It sounds crazy to some people when talking about bigotry, homophobia, etc... while I abhor those viewpoints, it's crucial that people are allowed to have them. It's the foundation on which western civilization is built.

There's a quote somewhere that I'll butcher that goes something like "while I disagree with what you say, I'll defend to my death your right to say it"
When the DA in whatever county Philly is in presses charges against Provorov for not wearing a warmup jersey I'll be there with you defending his right to free speech. His right to free speech isn't being violated at all.

Think it's ridiculous people feel the need to shut down any discussion on his decision by saying that the discussion attacks his right to free speech. It doesn't.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
For me, it’s just the way Byram fell into their laps that makes me bitter. Everyone was publicly fellating Sakic for that trade when he was quite lucky all things considered that Ottawa a) didn’t protect the pick and b) fell off a cliff.

Sakic’s a great GM obviously but it’s hard for me to stand her and applaud the Duchene trade when I don’t think even Sakic expected that pick to become a lottery one.

Why? I thought the Canucks were trying to lose :naughty:
The pick was protected. It was the 2018 1st but Ottawa had the option to keep it if it was top 10, which they did.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Looks like the As have a complete squad apart of Landeskog who has missed most of the year and Byram who is injured more than he plays, they have a long way to go to make the playoffs but if any team can make up ground it's them

Edit: Looks like Makar's out tonight
If they win tonight they're 2 pts back with three games in hand. Idk if it's a long way back at all.

Haywire

Oct 9, 2019
"Agree to disagree" is for pineapple on pizza, not a subset of people having equal rights. :rolleyes:
Sure it is. You can't make up the rules as you go along. What rights did he take away from them by not wearing their shirt? Who cares if someone doesn't stand for a stupid national anthem?

Reactions: Cypruss

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Sure it is. You can't make up the rules as you go along. What rights did he take away from them by not wearing their shirt? Who cares if someone doesn't stand for a stupid national anthem?

Sure you can. You absolutely can make up rules as you go along. That's pretty much the basis of law. Laws are pretty toothless without the enforcement to back them up. Turns out being a massive f*** head isn't against the law, but it doesn't mean it's socially acceptable to be one.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ya I misspoke what I meant to say was win the division
Ah I see. Yeah division is probably a long shot at this point. But think they'll end up comfortably In a WC spot maaaaybe 3rd in the division. But ya if Landeskog does play this year they will be a tough out in the playoffs

Reactions: bustamente

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The pick was protected. It was the 2018 1st but Ottawa had the option to keep it if it was top 10, which they did.
I meant protected from the lottery altogether. Ottawa deferred the pick to 2019 which had no protection. I thought that trade had sparked an epiphany in general managers where they would protect picks from the lottery no matter what, but apparently not because we just saw Ben Chiarot go for an unprotected 1st :dunno:

Haywire

Oct 9, 2019
Sure you can. You absolutely can make up rules as you go along. That's pretty much the basis of law. Laws are pretty toothless without the enforcement to back them up. Turns out being a massive f*** head isn't against the law, but it doesn't mean it's socially acceptable to be one.
Keep dreaming, Corgi.

Reactions: Cypruss

wraithsonwings

Honour The Past
Sponsor
Mar 19, 2019
Winnipeg

Rules? What rules?

I was speaking generally, not about Provorov. He clearly was allowed to take his stand, and people are allowed to say whatever they feel about it. Like, I believe that hiding behind his religion to "excuse" his bigotry is something an ass does. 🤷‍♀️

But "agree to disagree" just can't be accepted when arguing over human rights. And I know I won't be able to change anyone's mind about it, so I'll just leave it at that.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Let’s be clear. It’s the media and those that support their views that are making a big stink that Prov didn’t participate in a warm-up wearing a rainbow jersey.

I didn’t care that he didn’t wear a rainbow shirt lol. It was his choice and the NHL clearly stated that it is up to the players to participate in events like this or not.

The issue that I have with all of this is media and others thinking he should be punished by and be subjected to ridicule and homophobe labelling and deprived of his right to choose what to support or not.

You’re right… this should have been a “who cares” story but clearly, it’s not because one side is interested it demonizing someone’s choice not to wear a rainbow shirt.

It’s not “just the media”. People actually give a shit about treating everyone equal. It may “appear” as virtue signaling but to someone, it makes a difference. I work with 3 gay people and two of them are an absolute blast to talk with, hang around, and funny; and frankly, it’s been very very eye opening for me in a positive manner. Them being gay is irrelevant and frankly, makes them more enjoyable. You think they haven’t been through shit growing up? I know they have and it’s helped them become who they are today and has allowed me to be just a bit more open minded about it.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think this is way too low. They’d ask for Heinola, Perfetti and probably a 2nd
Doubt if any team offers two players like that. I doubt any team beats Heinola and a 1st or Mcgroaty and a 1st. Even Arizona fans are beginning to say cost is is 2 1st and a second. I’d easily trade 23 and 24 1st. No chance they get a guy at top of Calder standings. Best offer I’ve seen is Holtz and a 1st. Holtz is like a Heinola.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Doubt if any team offers two players like that. I doubt any team beats Heinola and a 1st or Mcgroaty and a 1st. Even Arizona fans are beginning to say cost is is 2 1st and a second. I’d easily trade 23 and 24 1st. No chance they get a guy at top of Calder standings. Best offer I’ve seen is Holtz and a 1st. Holtz is like a Heinola.
With Winnipeg D scoring at the top of the league I am not sure adding Chychrun is of value.

Reactions: Huffer and Guffman

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
With Winnipeg D scoring at the top of the league I am not sure adding Chychrun is of value.
I am not debating that, I’m just discussing cost. You make a good point. What the Jets decide to add will be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad