Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
No it was a door opened and now you want it closed

You're saying this like I have any power to make it happen. People are entrenched in their own beliefs, and aren't going to move for the sake of other people. It's a waste of time to argue. That's it. You're not going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change yours. I've been terminally online far too long to see how these discussions play out. Nothing changes.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
You're saying this like I have any power to make it happen. People are entrenched in their own beliefs, and aren't going to move for the sake of other people. It's a waste of time to argue. That's it. You're not going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change yours. I've been terminally online far too long to see how these discussions play out. Nothing changes.
The thing is my friend we need to discuss and learn from each other. In todays world we are always to quick to shut down progressive discussion

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
The thing is my friend we need to discuss and learn from each other. In todays world we are always to quick to shut down progressive discussion

Discussion is great. What a boring world this would be if we all agreed on everything. It’s how we do it that’s the key.
You’re right, we shut down conversations far too quickly these days. My feelings aren’t hurt when someone disagrees with me. If anything, I have more respect for them because they’re willing to stand their ground and think instead of just resorting to name calling.
My brother and I are on the complete opposite sides of the political spectrum but we have absolutely the best times having those discussions. It’s because we respect each other as another human being, not because we always agree with other, but because a lot of thought goes into each of our points. And of course, we’re willing to admit that occasionally the other person might be right. Occasionally. :laugh:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
See, I was thinking actually a high pick plus Lambert or Lucius. Not crazy about giving up the pick but Chychrun would be a great add who fits our window well. Not sure how far off either of our proposals are.
I think this is way too low. They’d ask for Heinola, Perfetti and probably a 2nd

Reactions: snowkiddin

Haywire

Oct 9, 2019
There is no more "agree to disagree"
Your entitled to your opinion these days, as long as it's what the masses deem is the correct opinion.

Reactions: Guffman

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Discussion is great. What a boring world this would be if we all agreed on everything. It’s how we do it that’s the key.
You’re right, we shut down conversations far too quickly these days. My feelings aren’t hurt when someone disagrees with me. If anything, I have more respect for them because they’re willing to stand their ground and think instead of just resorting to name calling.
My brother and I are on the complete opposite sides of the political spectrum but we have absolutely the best times having those discussions. It’s because we respect each other as another human being, not because we always agree with other, but because a lot of thought goes into each of our points. And of course, we’re willing to admit that occasionally the other person might be right. Occasionally. :laugh:
I’ve noticed over the last few years in my area of business that people are getting more and more polarized. I think there is a direct correlation to people not feeling comfortable discussing and become entrenched in extreme views.

Been surprised lately about racist comments coming from people who were at one point not

But let’s get real. Vegas…….they are bad people. Am I right

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
There is no more "agree to disagree"
Your entitled to your opinion these days, as long as it's what the masses deem is the correct opinion.

I agree that there's no more agree to disagree, especially as it pertains to the rights and privileges that we invoke and revoke. Used to be that stoning and burning people because we thought they were a witch was appropriate. Now we don't. In fact, it's quite clearly murder. It's no longer culturally appropriate or acceptable to be a racist, homophobe, transphobe, etc.

Haywire

Oct 9, 2019
I agree that there's no more agree to disagree, especially as it pertains to the rights and privileges that we invoke and revoke. Used to be that stoning and burning people because we thought they were a witch was appropriate. Now we don't. In fact, it's quite clearly murder. It's no longer culturally appropriate or acceptable to be a racist, homophobe, transphobe, etc.
In some countries it's quite acceptable. Stop projecting your ideals on everyone else.
Canada is part of the world, not the center of it.

Reactions: Cypruss

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
In some countries it's quite acceptable. Stop projecting your ideals on everyone else.
Canada is part of the world, not the center of it.

And here is where your morality police comes in. It's all relative. Acceptable in other parts of the world, therefore we should shut the f*** up about it, right? Is that what you want? I reject that premise.

This is why You Can Play matters. We aren't so far removed from the Pulse nightclub shooting. Shit, a gay nightclub in Colorado was shot up just a few months ago. We have a rise in anti-semitic rhetoric, and white nationalists loudly espouse their vile bullshit. This is happening in our backyard. You don't have to look far for it. Projecting your ideals on other people? Please. It doesn't take much projection to not be a racist, hateful piece of shit.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Looks like the As have a complete squad apart of Landeskog who has missed most of the year and Byram who is injured more than he plays, they have a long way to go to make the playoffs but if any team can make up ground it's them

Edit: Looks like Makar's out tonight

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Provorov is a practicing Catholic first and foremost.

You are politicizing and being presumptive as to Provorov's motivations. Completely unfair and extremely biased on your part.

He chose to express his belief in his faith and respect it, nothing more.

If you don't like it too bad.

My faith guides me as well... and no one is going to make me go against my beliefs.

At the same time my faith compels me to forgive you Corgis'... and I do.
Well first, he's Russian Orthodox.

That's a big distinction because that's Putin's church, a church leading a crusade against LGBT people in Russia. Not simply expressing their own beliefs and respecting rights of others to do the same. "If you don't like it too bad" is not working for LGBT people in Russia being actively persecuted.

It all kind of ties into the Russian issue right now even more than a simple religious anti-LGBT statement by not wearing a jersey. How do we square our support of Ukraine and NATO with Putin propagandists playing pro sports on our ice?

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Wow look at the division religion and sexual orientation has brought to our home board that had been in the most harmony I have seen it since I joined 10 ish years ago?

There’s enough space on this planet to believe in you want and be attracted to who you want to be .

Just love everyone as much as we love the jets and let’s get that Stanley cup

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
It would be really interesting to see how many people who are ok with Provorov exercising his free speech are also not ok with players kneeling during the national anthem. For those people they are just supporting the cause they support, which in this case would homophobia. Labeling it as supporting free speech is just a flimsy spin.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It would be really interesting to see how many people who are ok with Provorov exercising his free speech are also not ok with players kneeling during the national anthem. For those people they are just supporting the cause they support, which in this case would homophobia. Labeling it as supporting free speech is just a flimsy spin.
He's exercised his free speech. That' has nothing to do with anyone taking a critical thought to what his speech means. Is anyone saying he should be jailed? Did he get charged today? That's what free speech is about, not being able to say or do anything with nobody criticizing it.

It's quite interesting with everything going on both related to Russia and LGBT as almost separate issues. Still haven't had an active NHL player who is openly gay. The league is a in a tough spot when you have a player wrapping himself in the flag of a religion that not only is against LGBT rights but actively persecuting people in Russia. If you were a Philadelphia Flyer or Flyer prospect who happened to be gay would you feel safe being openly gay when a guy like that has an A?

Last edited:

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
His actual profession is about presenting whatever management deems best to appeal to advertisers and fans. His refusal to participate was bad for the business. The professional thing to do would have been to put his personal beliefs aside and do what management decided was best for the organization.

I say this as a conservatively minded individual who hates these "virtue signaling" events.
Ahhhhh. The ol’ Nuremberg Defence. Usually not a recommended strategy but these are strange times we live in.

Reactions: Guffman

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Ahhhhh. The ol’ Nuremberg Defence. Usually not a recommended strategy but these are strange times we live in.

"I'm only here so I don't get fined."

Byram is looking more and more like a bad pick. You love to see it, really.

Call me bitter and petty, but I'm totally on board with picks not panning out for opponents.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It wasnt long ago that all these tolerant people were ready to exclude a decent sized swath of people from society because they didn't see eye to eye on a medical procedure.

There's hypocrisy there for sure. If you're 99% tolerant, you're still 100% intolerant.

The problem is that today, many on both sides only tolerate viewpoints they agree with.

It sounds crazy to some people when talking about bigotry, homophobia, etc... while I abhor those viewpoints, it's crucial that people are allowed to have them. It's the foundation on which western civilization is built.

There's a quote somewhere that I'll butcher that goes something like "while I disagree with what you say, I'll defend to my death your right to say it"

Reactions: Adam da bomb

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
"I'm only here so I don't get fined."

Call me bitter and petty, but I'm totally on board with picks not panning out for opponents.
For me, it’s just the way Byram fell into their laps that makes me bitter. Everyone was publicly fellating Sakic for that trade when he was quite lucky all things considered that Ottawa a) didn’t protect the pick and b) fell off a cliff.

Sakic’s a great GM obviously but it’s hard for me to stand her and applaud the Duchene trade when I don’t think even Sakic expected that pick to become a lottery one.

Boudreau might get fired during the 1st intermission
Why? I thought the Canucks were trying to lose :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad