Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Tough loss for Dallas after being up 3-0 but such is life. Amazing how much of a roller coaster the regular season is for all teams not from Boston this year.
Sometimes we forget it around here being so focused on the Jets but all the top teams shit the bed with quite regularity. Bruins seemingly being the exception.

The team that I’m getting a little concerned about is the Avs. They have now won 3 in a row and look to be heating up. Injuries have undermined their season to date but if they find their way to the playoffs and are healthy they will be a very tough out.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
It’s not “just the media”. People actually give a shit about treating everyone equal. It may “appear” as virtue signaling but to someone, it makes a difference. I work with 3 gay people and two of them are an absolute blast to talk with, hang around, and funny; and frankly, it’s been very very eye opening for me in a positive manner. Them being gay is irrelevant and frankly, makes them more enjoyable. You think they haven’t been through shit growing up? I know they have and it’s helped them become who they are today and has allowed me to be just a bit more open minded about it.
I said “just the media and those that support their views”. Why chop off my quote to make a fake disagreement of what I said? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Cypruss

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Sometimes we forget it around here being so focused on the Jets but all the top teams shit the bed with quite regularity. Bruins seemingly being the exception.

The team that I’m getting a little concerned about is the Avs. They have now won 3 in a row and look to be heating up. Injuries have undermined their season to date but if they find their way to the playoffs and are healthy they will be a very tough out.

Bruins are having an insane year and might be trying to trade for Horvat who is a really good player. I am with you on the Avs, they have had injury issues and were fresh off a long cup run but they are a dangerous group talent wise.

I'm in constant awe at how much of a unit Boston is this year, and I'm reminded of how much I wanted Jim Montgomery as a HC. >_>

I fell into the camp that wanted Trotz first and didn’t mind a fall back position of Monty. I was less excited about Bones but as fait would have it he was worked out perfectly for us so far. As Garth Brooks would say “thank god for unanswered prayers” :laugh:. Honestly, I think all three options would have been fine for the Jets but it couldn’t have worked out better for us so far.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Three is nothing we had a 6th game win streak just recently.

hardystar

Jan 18, 2023
I know I shouldn't get into this discussion for my own sake but I will.

In my life the group of people I have heard the most egregious and hateful things said against are native people. People will say them in front of me, because I'm white, but when I start talking about being part half-breed in heritage they realize I am not on their side.

It's easy to target racism because optics is everything. Discriminating against race is something that has no place but it still exists, even with the best efforts by institutions to change them. Part of the problem is racism is institutionalized.

Ethics on sexual orientation are a little more difficult. I mean I grew up with some pretty hot cousins, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't aroused by them at times, but that's implicitly a moral boundary of sexual deviance. Even though I have met people who have crossed that boundary, and in high school I remember studying the royal family of Britain genetically, and their DNA was very closely linked. Same thing would apply to polygamy. You listen to Darius Kaspiritis talk about the Russian way, of having a mistress, which was also a French thing, presidents having their mistresses in their inauguration.

Religion is how a lot of law was codified in our society, like it or not. If someone objects to homosexuality I think they have the same right as anyone else in society who doesn't agree with something on moral grounds. I mean in Canada you can get all sorts of religious exemptions for religions that aren't Christian, from Sikhs being allowed to wear turbans without helmets on motorcycles, and only marry within their culture, which is somewhat racist if the shoe was on the other foot. To Sharia law being accepted as a faith, being able to pray at a certain time of day or when I worked at the group home, the kids were forced to eat non pork meals to appease their religious beliefs . Neither of those religions support homosexuality in any way, but they are allowed to have religious and moral boundaries set by it without any problems. I mean you look at some countries where a woman who is raped needs another woman to testify on her behalf for that testimony to be equal to a man's, or having children sold to marriage before they are even pubescent, there's still some pretty strange traditions that exist in this world, like places with female genital mutilation, that Canada accepts into their fabric of a nation.

For me as long as you don't touch me inappropriately, I'm fine. If you do you are crossing a boundary. I don't think that anyone should be forced to believe in something they don't, as long as they aren't being hurtful in their actions. I think that hockey is trying very hard to be inclusive, and still has a long way to go. For me I may not agree on matters of sexual orientation with you, but I respect you as a knowledgeable hockey person, and player.
I have been a long time reader on this board. There have been all sorts of statements that I have disagreed with. I have never signed up before since I don't like to argue with fools but your comments require a response. Specifically related to your racist comments about Sikhs. There was no reason to add that comment but to include a mis-directed statement to somehow justify a bigoted viewpoint is not uncommon.

I did see your subsequent post that you won't be commenting on this anymore. That is a good idea, since you don't know what you are talking about.

Go Jets Go!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Three is nothing we had a 6th game win streak just recently.
True but they are the reigning Stanley Cup champions and had a tough start of the season with a pile of injuries. My point is it looks like things are coming around for them and they are very likely to make a strong push for the playoffs and be a very strong opponent when they get there.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
True but they are the reigning Stanley Cup champions and had a tough start of the season with a pile of injuries. My point is it looks like things are coming around for them and they are very likely to make a strong push for the playoffs and be a very strong opponent when they get there.
Watching them play last night without Makar and they didn't skip a beat, get competent tending and they will be trouble in the playoffs.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I have been a long time reader on this board. There have been all sorts of statements that I have disagreed with. I have never signed up before since I don't like to argue with fools but your comments require a response. Specifically related to your racist comments about Sikhs. There was no reason to add that comment but to include a mis-directed statement to somehow justify a bigoted viewpoint is not uncommon.

I did see your subsequent post that you won't be commenting on this anymore. That is a good idea, since you don't know what you are talking about.

Go Jets Go!
Wow that's definitely an interesting way to introduce yourself to the board. @voyageur is a good guy, sometimes ignorance on a subject doesn't mean the person is bad, they just have things to learn.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Wow that's definitely an interesting way to introduce yourself to the board. @voyageur is a good guy, sometimes ignorance on a subject doesn't mean the person is bad, they just have things to learn.
Agreed. I'm happy people feel comfortable expressing those points of views on this board and he did it in a good faith manner, even if some find it misdirected. We will never move forward if we simply dismiss and ostracize those we disagree with.

Also really appreciated your perspective on this, Jet. As vacuous as it sometimes seems, representation and "virtue-signals" can have real world positive impacts for people that are sometimes told for one reason or another (race, sex, sexual orientation, etc.) that they do not belong or are less than others. Some of your posts reminded me of that important point.

Reactions: Jet

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” is a quote attributed to Edmund Burke.

John Stuart Mill stated: “Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion..."

John Stuart Mill also coined the term "Just Society", which has been used to describe the aspirations of Canadian society...a society which, at its best, judges itself by how it treat the most vulnerable.

Jews
Blacks
Indigenous Peoples
Asians
Women
LGBTQ+

All have/are being persecuted, exploited or marginalized in our country based on their colour, gender, sexual identity, race or belief system. We have really advanced as a country but need to continue to do better.

My Canada advances the principles of a Just Society. I strongly suspect Mark Chipman's organization advances this as well and would not have tolerated Provarov's actions, as a representative member of his organization.

The NHL is trying, but is still hamstrung by greed and old boys' views.

hardystar

Jan 18, 2023
Life is all about learning. Everyone makes mistakes.
Agreed. I'm happy people feel comfortable expressing those points of views on this board and he did it in a good faith manner, even if some find it misdirected. We will never move forward if we simply dismiss and ostracize those we disagree with.

Also really appreciated your perspective on this, Jet. As vacuous as it sometimes seems, representation and "virtue-signals" can have real world positive impacts for people that are sometimes told for one reason or another (race, sex, sexual orientation, etc.) that they do not belong or are less than others. Some of your posts reminded me of that important point.
Freedom of expression and speech are both very important. We are fortunate to be able to have these rights, unlike so many in the world. That is why we should try our best to lead discussions with facts.

To err is human, but to learn from those errors is super-human.

Reactions: thereturn and Jet

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Go Jets Go!
You are definitely not the first person I offended on this board. I should have stayed away from this discussion because this is a hockey board and not a political board. If I said something that was untrue I am glad you have corrected me. I have known a lot of Sikhs in my life, mostly through work, but also through talking to store owners. I know Sikhism means student, and I understand some things about the religion like the 5 K's that are sacred. I think the most important thing that people can do to understand others is talk with them, because you learn more by listening than speaking. That's one of the keys to knowledge.

The one thing I can say is that everyone in this world has some kind of prejudice, whether it be subtle or overt. Prejudice can be taught but it can also be gained through experience. If I hadn't had a young woman crying on my living room floor after being sexually assaulted by a Sikh cab driver, I might have a different viewpoint altogether. That experience made me become a Safe Ride driver, where I listened to a lot of other stories, from the most vulnerable people in our society, the ones who go missing the most...

Anyways I didn't need to say anything on Sikh culture to talk about the discussion at hand, and am sorry if said anything that was ignorant.

I'd like to stick to talking hockey...

hardystar

Jan 18, 2023
You are definitely not the first person I offended on this board. I should have stayed away from this discussion because this is a hockey board and not a political board. If I said something that was untrue I am glad you have corrected me. I have known a lot of Sikhs in my life, mostly through work, but also through talking to store owners. I know Sikhism means student, and I understand some things about the religion like the 5 K's that are sacred. I think the most important thing that people can do to understand others is talk with them, because you learn more by listening than speaking. That's one of the keys to knowledge.

The one thing I can say is that everyone in this world has some kind of prejudice, whether it be subtle or overt. Prejudice can be taught but it can also be gained through experience. If I hadn't had a young woman crying on my living room floor after being sexually assaulted by a Sikh cab driver, I might have a different viewpoint altogether. That experience made me become a Safe Ride driver, where I listened to a lot of other stories, from the most vulnerable people in our society, the ones who go missing the most...

Anyways I didn't need to say anything on Sikh culture to talk about the discussion at hand, and am sorry if said anything that was ignorant.

I'd like to stick to talking hockey...
Thanks for your response.

I agree let's stick to hockey.

Go Jets Go!

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
They sure are -
I try not to get too far ahead of myself but if we were to run into these guys in the PO's, we are the undisputed underdogs.
I hate these guys (as an opponent) - when healthy, they have the weapons to turn it on when ever they feel like it - very scary team.
Maybe beating the crap out of TO tonight will make me feel a little more confident - I hope we show up tonight.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Looks like a lot of people are now fans of Ivan Provorov. His regular Flyers’ jersey is now completely sold out on NHL Shop and Fanatics with the exception of extra smalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad