Around the NHL – Part XL - Mod post page 249

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm kind of curious what business someone has being an NHL coach without being an Xes and Oes guy. Like what are you then a cheerleader?
Yes.

Sorry for another hot take but hockey is just not a tactical sport. It's too fast.

What the f*** is a "system" anyway? There are extreme examples like Torts and Trotz but most teams run the same playbook - three forwards, two defensemen, go forward with the quickness, go where your teammates can pass to you, try to break up those lanes if you don't have the puck, throw the puck, chase the puck, royal road, rinse repeat.

There are subtle differences, of course, but people treat it like playing a 4-2-3-1 versus playing a 3-4-3. It is not that.

And before somebody says "well Gallant sucks because we don't do [basic hockey thing]" if that's true, then that's not his system, he's just an idiot.

A hockey team not doing puck support is like a baseball team not having a bullpen, or a football team just full-blown not running. It isn't a tactic, it's something you do because that's how the sport works.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Every new player has scored for their new team, Barbashev has one tonight already too. And hey Tarasenko scored like a minute into his first game with us.
I don't understand what this has to do with what I posted. Are you suggesting that I am implying something that I'm not?

Oh and not everrrry player haha.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yes.

Sorry for another hot take but hockey is just not a tactical sport. It's too fast.

What the f*** is a "system" anyway? There are extreme examples like Torts and Trotz but most teams run the same playbook - three forwards, two defensemen, go forward with the quickness, go where your teammates can pass to you, try to break up those lanes if you don't have the puck, throw the puck, chase the puck, royal road, rinse repeat.

There are subtle differences, of course, but people treat it like playing a 4-2-3-1 versus playing a 3-4-3. It is not that.

And before somebody says "well Gallant sucks because we don't do [basic hockey thing]" if that's true, then that's not his system, he's just an idiot.

A hockey team not doing puck support is like a baseball team not having a bullpen, or a football team just full-blown not running. It isn't a tactic, it's something you do because that's how the sport works.
Totally agree.
When I see a post that has the words “Gallant’s system” or “Xs and Os guy”, i have trained myself to scroll past.

• Haha
Reactions: Machinehead

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
There are so many things that scream possible disappointment in playoffs for Devils. So many of them are having career years, goaltending better than expected, less space available in playoffs, young team with little playoff experience. So many on their jocks, I will laugh so hard if they don't get past the 1st round.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
To be fair I'm a little gun shy about using that logic because we used that logic in 2012 when they won a ridiculous amount of games in the shootout.
That has nothing to do with 2023. Speed and having space is their thing. We will see when things tighten up. I also hope they keep on winning and blow their wad.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Gonna be an interesting month for the Devils looking at their schedule. They play some nasty teams and some of which are fighting for wild card spots. TB 3 times in like a week is particularly interesting. Hope the Bolts decide to start playing hockey again by that point. Also saw the Caps, Isles, Sens, Panthers and Sabres in there. Should be good games against some desperate teams. End of the month the Rangers get another whack at them, here's hoping the stars align by then.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That has nothing to do with 2023. Speed and having space is their thing. We will see when things tighten up. I also hope they keep on winning and blow their wad.

The point is that winning in ways that don't exist in the playoffs doesn't necessarily preclude you from playoff success.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The point is that winning in ways that don't exist in the playoffs doesn't necessarily preclude you from playoff success.
Maybe. But bringing up examples from a decade ago doesn't help you make your point. 3 on 3 OT is nothing like playoff OT. Does it mean the Devils won't be dangerous in an playoff OT game, of course not. But comparing the two is silly.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe. But bringing up examples from a decade ago doesn't help you make your point. 3 on 3 OT is nothing like playoff OT. Does it mean the Devils won't be dangerous in an playoff OT game, of course not. But comparing the two is silly.

I never said otherwise but I fail to see what difference it makes when my example was from. It didn't even have to be the Devils in 2012, it could have been any team. The point still stands. And 3 on 3 is closer to 5 on 5 than the shootout. I really hope you're right and it makes a difference but I'm not sure it does.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007

Yea - when teams win, it's really blowing their wad. By that measure, how's Boston gonna do?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Yea - when teams win, it's really blowing their wad. By that measure, how's Boston gonna do?
Boston is a much more experienced team that will be able to handle playoff hockey better. It is a thing to peak too soon. I would rather my team be playing really well down the stretch.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Devis are very much in the same mold as the Canes. They are dangerous but they might run into the same issue the Canes did last season - exhaustion from always going at 110%. The ice will shrink and players are much more physical in the playoffs, so you can't really keep up that style of play for too long before fatigue sets in and the other team capitalizes on it.

With that said, if Igor doesn't get back to form we're not getting past round 1 no matter who we play. His lack of confidence is going to deflate the entire team and it'll be over before we know it

Reactions: ArPanet

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Devis are very much in the same mold as the Canes. They are dangerous but they might run into the same issue the Canes did last season - exhaustion from always going at 110%. The ice will shrink and players are much more physical in the playoffs, so you can't really keep up that style of play for too long before fatigue sets in and the other team capitalizes on it.

With that said, Igor doesn't get back to form we're not getting past round 1 no matter who we play. His lack of confidence is going to deflate the entire team and it'll be over before we know it

They aren't anything like the Canes.

Canes are shoot, retrieve, shoot, retrieve, shoot, retrieve... and more of the same.

Devils are much more rush oriented in their attack. They'll prioritize getting the high danger chance instead of just spamming a bunch of junk at the net and hoping something slips through.

Exhaustion very well may play into things for Carolina as its tough to make it through a season+4 rounds with that style (On top of not really being able to throw pucks into the net with out anything other than sheer force of will.) The lack of shooting talent will continue to be their downfall until they take care of it.

For NJ, their issues are going to arise when someone takes the rush away from them. Plus their D are terrified to get hit. Hamilton is notorious for bailing out of 50/50 races out of fear of getting blasted and Marino is even worse in that regard. If they were to some how draw the Islanders in round 1 they would either barely squeak by and be ripe to be smoked in round 2 or just lose outright.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
They aren't anything like the Canes.

Canes are shoot, retrieve, shoot, retrieve, shoot, retrieve... and more of the same.

Devils are much more rush oriented in their attack. They'll prioritize getting the high danger chance instead of just spamming a bunch of junk at the net and hoping something slips through.

Exhaustion very well may play into things for Carolina as its tough to make it through a season+4 rounds with that style (On top of not really being able to throw pucks into the net with out anything other than sheer force of will.) The lack of shooting talent will continue to be their downfall until they take care of it.

For NJ, their issues are going to arise when someone takes the rush away from them. Plus their D are terrified to get hit. Hamilton is notorious for bailing out of 50/50 races out of fear of getting blasted and Marino is even worse in that regard. If they were to some how draw the Islanders in round 1 they would either barely squeak by and be ripe to be smoked in round 2 or just lose outright.

You're right in that Carolina is definitely more quantity over quality than NJ. One thing that NJ has that Carolina doesn't is Hughes who can win games on his own whereas Carolina has a lot of really good "second-tier" players but lacking a de facto offense drive/ superstar. Both have a lot of depth and rely on speed more than any other one thing.

Anyway, it's going to be a crazy playoffs with I'm sure some surprises in store.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
A lot of people around here need to come to terms with the Devils are a good team

We can sit here and say "they are OT" whores or whatever, but they are a very fast, opportunistic team

I dont think they are buiit to go all the way this year, but they are getting close
They are Florida of last year

You want to argue they have better/young talent up front, fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad