Around the league part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
I appreciate the post. You're kind of proving my point though. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not.

No worries mate. I feel a broad part of us look at your political system and scratch our head. You have way better taxes. More affordability. A level of patriotism that amazes us. A far superior system of national parks. I hope to do travel nursing there in a few months. Most Canadians are friendly and have no thoughts to speak about America overall.

But damn do Canadians get possessive about Olympic hockey.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It doesn't really need to be explained further, but all one has to do is look at a team like Boston, its culture, and its best player with one career fight to his name fighting the very Tkachuk that tormented Doughty for years while all Drew did was run his mouth, save for a late game hipcheck that ended with Doughty trying as hard as possible to not have to actually fight. Pastrnak says in the media that he felt he had to do it because of what it would do for the guys in the room. Doughty gets a giant elbow from a rookie/second year guy, never tries to even it up, lets others fight his battles and then gets continually clowned by Tkachuk because MT knows Doughty won't do a thing about it. It's a horrible look and kind of sums up this team, although it now pretty much lacks anyone to fight battles for anyone else.
I know there's different types of fans who pay more or less attention to certain aspects of the game. For me, the type of stuff you're talking about here barely even registers. It's not something I would ever even think about.

Sometimes after games Johnny Utah will post about how this player or that player got ran, and all this dirty stuff that went on, and I'm thinking "Dang. All that stuff really happened? I didn't even notice!"

The DD/Tkachuk stuff was just a cute little thing. It didn't mean much to me. I don't want Drew fighting, and I like Drew's mouthy banter. It's fun. He's a fun player.

Calling Doughty a bitch is total unappreciative bull shit IMO.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
The last 'elite' goalie to hoist a Cup: Andrei Vasilevsky; 2021.

2022 Darcy Kuemper
2023 Adin Hill
2024 either Bobrovski or Skinner

It's honestly hard to believe...esp if it's Skinner. Kuemper was backup several years and couldn't stick with teams...Adin Hill was 2nd / 3rd string on the Sharks. Bobrovski is pretty solid, though. Skinner?
I just hope the Kings don't hang their hat on this and go with Rittich as #1. But, also not sure if spending assets and BIG dollars on Ullmark or Saros is the answer.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

2022 Darcy Kuemper
2023 Adin Hill

It's honestly hard to believe...esp if it's Skinner. Kuemper was backup several years and couldn't stick with teams...Adin Hill was 2nd / 3rd string on the Sharks. Bobrovski is pretty solid, though. Skinner?
I just hope the Kings don't hang their hat on this and go with Rittich as #1. But, also not sure if spending assets and BIG dollars on Ullmark or Saros is the answer.
The farther the oilers go the more BLuc is convinced “we were right there!”

Puke.

Reactions: fivehole32

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

2022 Darcy Kuemper
2023 Adin Hill

Bobrovsky isn't elite?

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
whose going to sweep up the dust florida grinds edmonton into?
could be worth alot to a sports memoribilia collector

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I know there's different types of fans who pay more or less attention to certain aspects of the game. For me, the type of stuff you're talking about here barely even registers. It's not something I would ever even think about.

Sometimes after games Johnny Utah will post about how this player or that player got ran, and all this dirty stuff that went on, and I'm thinking "Dang. All that stuff really happened? I didn't even notice!"

The DD/Tkachuk stuff was just a cute little thing. It didn't mean much to me. I don't want Drew fighting, and I like Drew's mouthy banter. It's fun. He's a fun player.

Calling Doughty a bitch is total unappreciative bull shit IMO.
I find the Kopitar ripping to be a lot more obnoxious. I love Drew and agree that he should be appreciated but I understand why some people wouldn't like him. If he's still chirping out there I'm imagining he's told that he hasn't done shit in 10 years pretty often.

Last edited:

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
I find the Kopitar ripping to be a lot more obnoxious. I love Drew and agree that he should be appreciated but I understand why some people wouldn't like him. If he's still chirping out there I'm imagining he's told that he hasn't done shit in 10 years pretty often.
HEY
Doughty got a divorce within the last ten years. He's made alot of significant contributions to the needy and less fortunate via the settlement so hes got that goin for him

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
On any message board there's going to be different opinion groups.

I think every poster has some opinion groups they agree with, some they find annoying, and some they're indifferent to.

I know I have some opinions that others find annoying.

But the opinion group that gets on my nerves the most is the Kopitar/Doughty disrespect. You can arguably be the most important player in franchise history, bring home some cups, and still be considered a bitch, and have your role in those cups downplayed.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I think every poster has some opinion groups they agree with, some they find annoying, and some they're indifferent to.

But the opinion group that gets on my nerves the most is the Kopitar/Doughty critics. You can arguably be the most important player in franchise history, bring home some cups, and still be considered a bitch, and have your role in those cups downplayed.
And those same critics keep insisting the Kings needed to trade Kopitar and Doughty elsewhere, as if the players themselves have blocked the team from contending.

If Kopitar and/or Doughty were on teams like Edmonton, Tampa Bay, Colorado, or Florida, would neither team have "won jack" since 2016?

No? Then it's an org problem that can't build a successful team around them. It's not a player problem. All they have are antiquated quotes and biases disguised as objectivity.

Reactions: Statto and johnjm22

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

But the opinion group that gets on my nerves the most is the Kopitar/Doughty critics. You can arguably be the most important player in franchise history, bring home some cups, and still be considered a bitch, and have your role in those cups downplayed.
How do you feel about the Kopitar extension? It was signed a year early for a pretty number.
Comparably Stamkos, who also won two cups and had more playoff runs, was not signed early and they are maybe going to turn the page and let him go or see if they can squeeze him in.
Another comparable is Bergeron who was taking smaller cap hits on one year deals because he wanted to win and leave more money to fill out a competitive roster.
I thought Kopitar had his best playoff this year out of the last 3 but that extension was nearsighted and not team friendly. Signing Maclellan to an extension when the writing was on the wall he wouldnt even make it through the year was also out of line and has prevented the team from getting a better coach this offseason.
The boys club and sentimental way of running a team has proven to be a failure.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kinda weird to get upset over Doughty and Kopitar criticisms. While the Kings won the cups with them on the team, with a really solid supporting cast of players in the locker room, it’s also fair criticisms that the Kings have not gotten anywhere with them on the team. They haven’t been good leaders. We’ve had the softest Kings team which i think it’s undoubtedly has an element of Kopitars really soft playstyle and attitude. Then you mix in Doughty who never stood up for anything except a cheeseburger. I can understand why people would want to absolutely GLAZE Kopitar and Doughty, but I think there’s more than fair criticisms of them and their impact as the leaders or lack there of. And since you can make fair criticisms of them now, I think it does undoubtedly suggest that players like Williams, Richards, Quick, Brown, Mitchell, and Greene might have been the rallying forces in the locker room and not these two since the Kings have been so limp since they became the “leaders” of this era team.

Last edited:

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
And those same critics keep insisting the Kings needed to trade Kopitar and Doughty elsewhere, as if the players themselves have blocked the team from contending.

If Kopitar and/or Doughty were on teams like Edmonton, Tampa Bay, Colorado, or Florida, would neither team have "won jack" since 2016?

No? Then it's an org problem that can't build a successful team around them. It's not a player problem. All they have are antiquated quotes and biases disguised as objectivity.
How many times do they have to trade and rearrange the depth surrounding Kopitar and Doughty before you hold them accountable? At least partly accountable.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Never saw anyone that could score tip in goals like pavelski. Kreider is pretty good at it but pavelski's better. Amazingly durable guy for the beating he's taken going to the tough areas

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
On a side note, as Kings fan it will suck to see McDavid win a cup.

As a hockey fan it’d be cool to see Canada get a cup, and a player like McDavid deserves it after quite possibly being the greatest player to ever lace them up. Amazing player and it’s nice to have a player who can comfortably be mentioned with Crosby in terms of talents and accomplishments.

This hardware would solidify him as being one of the all time greats.

A truly great player with unbelievable talent, great leader since it’s always on him to put the team on his back and carry them, and lastly, he has exemplary ability to find a gear. This oilers team has honestly good defense, and has a good enough crew that they’re not much of a liability for McDavid to effectively carry.

Would be a good thing for hockey all around if they win. No one gives a shit about the Panthers. So I don’t have any interest in them winning besides the fact it’d be good for Lightning fans to get a little butthurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad