Around the league part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenKing18

Where is my super suit?
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I love Drew

I thought the initial reaction to the Tkachuk stuff was dog shit..."you got elbowed in the face now you have to fight" was amongst the dumbest rhetoric I've ever seen

However as that dragged out I started to hate Drew's reactions to it, he bailed on hits, he let others fight his battles. At SOME point it would have been nice to see a 'fiery competitor' and a captain stand up. Especially in that game where he felt good egging Tkachuk on and hip checked the jesus out of him, like now YOURE starting it, you can't bail.
I tried catching up on this rivalry on youtube lol. His comments of "He thinks hes something.. he hasnt done anything like I have in my career" put me off. At that point i'm just like, shut your mouth, let your talents show that you're better. Show it on the ice. Idk I always prefer action over words.
I love Doughty. Have his autographed Jersey in a display case in my house. But on that play, and subsequent meetings he was a little bitch. The problem is he at the time, was one of our few star players and not one person stood up to protect their star. The team ley Tkachuk run around doing whatever he wanted.

I hope that we land a skilled guy that can fight. What I wouldn't give to find a prime Lucic style player to ride shotgun to Byfield. Unfortunately the Tkachuk boys may be the closest thing in the modern NHL. I would settle for a new Kyle Clifford type. Someone with a pulse that can chuck them. Instead we have a Chihuahua in Lizotte skating around taking out ankles and falling on his ass.

Sorry, watched Shoresy this weekend and forgot how much I missed Nolan and the other tough guys we once had.

I just want a gritty Kings team again. That WAS our identity. The team even had a shirt that had "GRIT" on it. Now we're just a hockey team. I'm on the Sascha Boisvert boat for this year's draft. Hoping Ziemmer and him could inject some toughness on the team. But hard to have hopes like that when development and deployment is shit in this org.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Did I see it right? Does the final not start till Saturday?
Yup , ABC has both the NBA and NHL so scheduling is wonky

1) Saturday June 8 5:00pm Edmonton @ Florida
2) Monday June 10 5:00pm Edmonton @ Florida
3) Thursday June 13 5:00pm Florida @ Edmonton
4) Saturday June 15 5:00pm Florida @ Edmonton
--------------------- if needed ---------------------
5) Tuesday June 18 5:00pm Edmonton @ Florida
6) Friday June 21 5:00pm Florida @ Edmonton
7) Monday June 24 5:00pm Edmonton @ Florida

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Yup , ABC has both the NBA and NHL so scheduling is wonky

1) Saturday June 8 5:00pm Edmonton @ Florida
2) Monday June 10 5:00pm Edmonton @ Florida
3) Thursday June 13 5:00pm Florida @ Edmonton
4) Saturday June 15 5:00pm Florida @ Edmonton
--------------------- if needed ---------------------
5) Tuesday June 18 5:00pm Edmonton @ Florida
6) Friday June 21 5:00pm Florida @ Edmonton
7) Monday June 24 5:00pm Edmonton @ Florida

Awful having to wait until Saturday to start the Final.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I'd like to see McDavid get one too.

But at the same time I kind of hate Canada. I don't want them to have any joy.

Be nice, we have some great Canadian posters here.

YP44 - Calgary
Kovacro - Hamilton
Surf Nutz - Halifax

Sorry if I forgot anyone.

But I think it's time that the cup returns north of the 49th

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Be nice, we have some great Canadian posters here.

YP44 - Calgary
Kovacro - Hamilton
Surf Nutz - Halifax

Sorry if I forgot anyone.

But I think it's time that the cup returns north of the 49th
Well it's not literal. I mean I do hate Canada, but it's the same way I hate the Golden Knights.

I don't think a lot of Americans realize how the USA is viewed by Canadians. We think of them as our friendly neighbor to the north. Meanwhile they think they're so much better than us. There's a lot of pretentious anti-American left wing nationalism up there. I just find it annoying.

#NotAllCanadians

Reactions: KINGS17

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Well it's not literal. I mean I do hate Canada, but it's the same way I hate the Golden Knights.

I don't think a lot of Americans realize how the USA is viewed by Canadians. We think of them as our friendly neighbor to the north. Meanwhile they think they're so much better than us. There's a lot of pretentious anti-American left wing nationalism up there. I just find it annoying.

#NotAllCanadians

LOL It's USA light up here, that's the only difference.....

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's gotta be pretty rare for a team to make the SC finals with a sub .900 save percentage goalie.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I’m on this boat lol but maybe not as bad as others. I’m a fan of Doughty, but i’ve always disliked his pouty demeanor. That meltdown against the Coyotes in the playoffs sticks out to me.
Or the time Brown had to tell him to STFU after Perry missed his penalty shot in Game 7 against the Ducks. Doughty is annoying and yes, I only cheer for him because he’s a King.

As a Canadian, I'd actually like to see it continue as well. There's not one Canadian team I have a soft spot for. If forced maybe I'd root for the Jets.

Curse goes back to 89'. Quebec is not a part of Canada.:laugh::naughty:
Oilers won in ‘90.

Reactions: BigKing

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

#NotAllCanadians
Whats the old Rodney Dangerfield joke about Canada?
I love Canada they made a country and no one showed up.

Reactions: KINGS17

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that the Oilers are going to win it this year (thanks for giving them a first round bye, Kings!). I'm someone who hates McDavid (and others on that team), but mainly because my wimpy-ass team doesn't dish any punishment back towards him. Don't like it, but then I remember that it doesn't affect my life at all, much like Vegas winning last year. I'd prefer Florida (even though they also have players I don't like), but whatever. I'm more interested in seeing what this sh*tshow of a front office does this off season.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I'm hoping Florida can combine grit with offense to give Edmonton fits. Their high end guys are a bit more high end the Kings for sure. I'm not sure about the Barkov shutting down McDavid stuff. Kopi and Danault couldn't do it.

I'll eat crow. I hate the Oilers and always will but the f***ers just won't go away.

#NotAllCanadians

I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion. Have you spent any time in Canada? If so, where? My Mom's originally from Ontario, Canada and we still have relatives there. I've spent plenty of time there from Windsor to St Catherines. I've never gotten the sense from them that they think they're better than us.

I spent a week going to Kings games in Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver last spring. Every single person I encountered at games and while traveling was friendly to me upon knowing I was from the US. I think there are plenty of people up there that are critical of our government but there are also plenty of people here that are critical of our government. I don't think that means they think they are better than us. I think they are smart enough to differentiate between the government and the citizens.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

#NotAllCanadians
I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion. Have you spent any time in Canada? If so, where? My Mom's originally from Ontario, Canada and we still have relatives there. I've spent plenty of time there from Windsor to St Catherines. I've never gotten the sense from them that they think they're better than us.

I spent a week going to Kings games in Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver last spring. Every single person I encountered at games and while traveling was friendly to me upon knowing I was from the US. I think there are plenty of people up there that are critical of our government but there are also plenty of people here that are critical of our government. I don't think that means they think they are better than us. I think they are smart enough to differentiate between the government and the citizens.
Nevermind the potshot at party affiliation like nationalism is some left wing ideology (or the insinuation it's only bad when one side does it).

But there are plenty of other arguments and I'm trying to do a better job of not derailing threads.

There are plenty of people critical of our government. As we are of theirs.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Nevermind the potshot at party affiliation like nationalism is some left wing ideology (or the insinuation it's only bad when one side does it).
I didn't say nationalism itself is left wing. But in the case of Canada, nationalism is more left wing. In America it's the opposite. Nationalism has traditionally been more of a right wing thing here (although that seems to be changing).

The left, which is the majority in the country, has a "Canada better than America" narrative to it. The Canadian right doesn't have the same narrative.

Have you ever followed Canadian politics? I've spent time around Canadians. Mostly the military.

Interpersonal interactions are something else. People are pretty much the same everywhere. That's what I've learned in my travels. And most people don't care that much about politics.

I'm talking about general social/political/media narratives and views.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009

#NotAllCanadians

That's a pretty broad generalization fella. Speaking as a Canadian, the vast majority of us are simply trying to get through the day to day challenges post-covid has brought. We don't have a lot of energy to spend going 'hur hur America sucks because you go bankrupt if you go to ER!' when we already struggle with housing, gas prices, and all political parties content to allow mega-monopolies to control our telecommunication and grocery stores.

I will say that a large part of us look at your political system like a football match: my team vs. your team. You don't want to see compromise, you'd rather the other team lose. Your supreme court seems weird; a bunch of old people who fly flags upside down or take expensive trips paid for by billionaires make decisions for 300+ million people?

My profession is travel nursing. I've been to Prince George, Vancouver, Kamloops, Nunavut, Whitehorse, Toronto, Quebec, and so many more. Less people talk smack about America than you think.

Unless when it's the hockey olympic playoffs. Then the gloves come off, ya hoser. ;)

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Anyone who thinks our neighbors to the north hate the USA also probably thinks luck had anything to do with Dean Lombardi being the greatest Kings GM ever.

• Haha
Reactions: Schrute farms

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That's a pretty broad generalization fella.
Of course it is :)

Speaking as a Canadian, the vast majority of us are simply trying to get through the day to day challenges post-covid has brought. We don't have a lot of energy to spend going 'hur hur America sucks because you go bankrupt if you go to ER!' when we already struggle with housing, gas prices, and all political parties content to allow mega-monopolies to control our telecommunication and grocery stores.

I will say that a large part of us look at your political system like a football match: my team vs. your team. You don't want to see compromise, you'd rather the other team lose. Your supreme court seems weird; a bunch of old people who fly flags upside down or take expensive trips paid for by billionaires make decisions for 300+ million people?

My profession is travel nursing. I've been to Prince George, Vancouver, Kamloops, Nunavut, Whitehorse, Toronto, Quebec, and so many more. Less people talk smack about America than you think.

Unless when it's the hockey olympic playoffs. Then the gloves come off, ya hoser. ;)
I appreciate the post. You're kind of proving my point though. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not.

Reactions: Mattias

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that the Oilers are going to win it this year (thanks for giving them a first round bye, Kings!). I'm someone who hates McDavid (and others on that team), but mainly because my wimpy-ass team doesn't dish any punishment back towards him. Don't like it, but then I remember that it doesn't affect my life at all, much like Vegas winning last year. I'd prefer Florida (even though they also have players I don't like), but whatever. I'm more interested in seeing what this sh*tshow of a front office does this off season.
If there is one thing I can thank Blake for, it's making me care less about hockey in general to where it is like I almost forgot that happened last year.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Anyone who thinks our neighbors to the north hate the USA also probably thinks luck had anything to do with Dean Lombardi being the greatest Kings GM ever.
I’d say he got pretty lucky when Ryan Smyth couldn’t handle the mean streets of Manhattan Beach, and Brad Richards elected to sign with the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad