Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
When will BUF be any good? It should be any time by now with all that young talent.

Edit: PP with one Hab without a blade and another without a stick and they don't score. Flat out embarassing.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Not sold on this Buffalo core. There's some good players here for sure, but I don't think they'll have enough to win it all even down the road.

Mostly Dahlin and Powers I don't think are enough on the back end.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Personally I think they need a better coach. Granato has done all he can. He was always an interim guy IMO.
Yup. I said it the other day. Buffalo has all the ingredients and no chef. Granato did a good job getting them back to some respectability but they need a better coach to get them to the next level imo.

Lol EJ all the time and space in the world to clear the puck and doesnt. I miss EJ but I dont miss that.

Newhook another point.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not sold on this Buffalo core. There's some good players here for sure, but I don't think they'll have enough to win it all even down the road.

Mostly Dahlin and Powers I don't think are enough on the back end.
I think Dahlin, Powers, and Samuelsson should be more than adequate, no idea about Jokiharju. Might be a mistake going with Clifton/EJ as the third pairing but that still should not be THAT big an issue.

The forwards should also be talented enough up front even with Quinn hurt and Thompson shitting the bed to start the season. And though the 4th line consists of players they should’ve moved on from a while ago (Girgenssons-Jost-Okposo) I don’t think that this team looks bad at all on paper.

Yes, they’re taking a gigantic gamble on a fresh-from-college goalie but I also don’t think it’s that either.

The coach is just not good enough. The Sabres just make WAY too many mistakes in their coverage, they yield the middle of the ice too easily and leave gigantic gaps and easy paths right to the net (that back door goal from Barron tonight was way too easy). They do next to nothing in controlling the neutral zone (which is key to dominating possession) and don’t look organized or structured at all. I don’t think this is a contender right now but they should be way better than this.

tl;dr, Tony’s Bro gotta Granat-go!

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
BTW, I went to the Oilers board for my daily dose of schadenfreude and, what's up with all the vitriol for Singh and, to a lesser extent, DeBrusk? Surely those guys can't be all that bad.
They dislike DeBrusk because he used to be the Oilers' exclusive colour guy but he's now a national guy so he can't be a full-on Oilers homer anymore.

Singh is just bad. His reactions are often forced and delayed - nothing he says comes off as natural the way guys like Cuthbert, Emrick, Cole, etc. were able to deliver commentary.

He also uses super weird terminology. For example when Nathan MacKinnon is skating fast he'll usually say "using the speed burst!" which sounds very video game-like. That's my own personal pet peeve, though.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Lol EJ all the time and space in the world to clear the puck and doesnt. I miss EJ but I dont miss that.

EJ will always have a special place in my heart. AV for Life. And congrats to one last payday in Buffalo, Buddy.

But letting him go was the right decision.

And with that said, i am looking forward to Sunday and EJ scoring on us. :D

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think Dahlin, Powers, and Samuelsson should be more than adequate, no idea about Jokiharju. Might be a mistake going with Clifton/EJ as the third pairing but that still should not be THAT big an issue.

The forwards should also be talented enough up front even with Quinn hurt and Thompson shitting the bed to start the season. And though the 4th line consists of players they should’ve moved on from a while ago (Girgenssons-Jost-Okposo) I don’t think that this team looks bad at all on paper.

Yes, they’re taking a gigantic gamble on a fresh-from-college goalie but I also don’t think it’s that either.

The coach is just not good enough. The Sabres just make WAY too many mistakes in their coverage, they yield the middle of the ice too easily and leave gigantic gaps and easy paths right to the net (that back door goal from Barron tonight was way too easy). They do next to nothing in controlling the neutral zone (which is key to dominating possession) and don’t look organized or structured at all. I don’t think this is a contender right now but they should be way better than this.

tl;dr, Tony’s Bro gotta Granat-go!
What's gonna happen with Jokiharju going forwards? I see him mentioned in a lot of Buffalo trade proposals for some reason, despite the fact that he's essentially their only natural RHD puck-mover.

I guess he's never really taken the next step in Buffalo, but he's also been miscast somewhat by being forced to play on their top pair a lot due to Buffalo not having any better RHD's.

If he were to be properly slotted on the 3rd pairing or as a #4D next to a solid 2 LHD perhaps he'd find some consistency and be a useful player on a good team.

CMac is usually pretty good at picking up RFA's from other teams who have underwhelmed and/or failed to hit their potential yet (eg. Grubauer, Nichushkin, Graves, Burakovsky, Georgiev, and Toews), so I wonder if Joker wouldn't be someone who gets consideration as a Manson/Girard replacement next off-season when he'll be an RFA assuming that his next contract wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Last year I said Tage Thompson is a good candidate for regressing, and although it’s very early, but the dude has 1 point in 6 games.

I never get tired of being right. Now Thompson can always go off and start producing at high rate again and make me look stupid, but for now I was right

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Yeah because he's one of the most blatant homers you'll ever see in broadcasting. Right up alongside Jack Edwards quite frankly.

Moser isn't any better either quite frankly. I can tolerate him because at least he's a homer for the team I like but honestly he's probably one of the worst guys around as well and usually I just hope to get the other teams broadcast at this point in a lot of games. Or the national broadcast.
I could tolerate Moser with Maxy, but now it’s hard to listen to. I like Ryker ok, but he is still learning how to work the booth.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh and back on the subject of the Sabres, the only thing worse than a shitty head coach IMO is a shitty goaltending coach. I’m not even sure the Sabres have a full time guy but whoever they got they should get rid of because he seems to bring out the worst in his netminders.

Is Comrie supposed to be a good backup? I’ve heard good things about him but every time I watch him he sucks. That second Montreal goal last night was just horrible. Gives up a ridiculous rebound on the softest of shots and can’t corral it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad