Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What's wrong with Without Me? I don't care if it's a stupid snippet, you can't make me dislike something off The Eminem Show.
I actually low-key enjoy Eminem, you can't deny that he has extraordinary talent. But using THAT bit as your goal song? Uuuuuuugh. It works within the context of the song itself, but as a standalone for a goal song of all things it's grating and doesn't even do what a goal song is supposed to do, which is hype up the crowd. Just watching the highlights of the Detroit/Calgary game was infuriating hearing that play six times.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I actually low-key enjoy Eminem, you can't deny that he has extraordinary talent. But using THAT bit as your goal song? Uuuuuuugh. It works within the context of the song itself, but as a standalone for a goal song of all things it's grating and doesn't even do what a goal song is supposed to do, which is hype up the crowd. Just watching the highlights of the Detroit/Calgary game was infuriating hearing that play six times.
I didn't even pay attention. Y'all gotta breathe through it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The Byram hate for a player who has had 4 rough games to start a year on his off side is nuts. He's no Hughes but god damn ya'll he helped us win the cup! Give the kid some time to get his feet underneath him this season before calling for his head lol
Byram is no Jack Hughes. And Makar is no Quinn Hughes.

Sakic really F'd up!

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Two weeks into the season the Los Angeles Kings have allowed the least amount of high danger chances BY FAR (22) yet are 2-2-1, with the league's 2nd worst Sv%.

That team is going nowhere until they find someone who can stop a puck.
:laugh:

You really don't like LA's goaltending do you?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Two weeks into the season the Los Angeles Kings have allowed the least amount of high danger chances BY FAR (22) yet are 2-2-1, with the league's 2nd worst Sv%.

That is undoubtedly true, and the one thing that may ultimately undo Blake is the failure to find a goalie.

That said, I think McLellan is a bit of a smokescreen as a coach. He loves doing defense the Babcock way, slog it up, clutch and grab and slash and hack and trip and do everything you can to obstruct the opposition, and people will think you're a good defensive team. And hey, the results, at least thus far, appear to show they're preventing those chances. I get the results but I also don't think it's sustainable. I also think they're expending so much energy on one end of the ice that they can't really generate sustained zone time. Maybe the stats say I'm wrong, but I don't think the Kings are all that dangerous offensively.

I've said before I don't think Blake has done all that good a job as a GM rebuilding LA, and while he entered the job basically with one hand tied behind his back, I still think he's done nothing more than put together a team that is merely "good," and leaning more toward "kinda good" but not an actual contender.

Maybe they prove me wrong and the Kings become a powerhouse, but I doubt it.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
If LA had picked Stutzle they could have used the pieces they traded for Dubois to get a goalie and they’d be a contender.

They didn't even need to spend that much on a goalie. Personally I think they're keeping an eye on goalies like Mackenzie Blackwood, he just needs to show health and consistency. The Avs didn't spend much to get Georgiev who is putting up Vezina quality numbers in his hot start. They really need to just find a young goalie that fits their defensive play and watch him exceed his value by a lot. Filip Gustavsson would have been an amazing fit for them. They need a young goalie that's worn out their welcome ala Gustavsson/Georgiev.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
They are mad because Singh isn't homer enough and often praises the other teams.
Oilers fans mad because the guy who does a national broadcast does probably the best job on CBC (ESPN and TNT too) at not being biased. I actually really like Singh for exactly this reason. I like Cuthbert better but Singh is great at treating both teams equally

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
BTW, I went to the Oilers board for my daily dose of schadenfreude and, what's up with all the vitriol for Singh and, to a lesser extent, DeBrusk? Surely those guys can't be all that bad.

I dont like Singh personally, just doesnt have a great voice for play by play IMO, too monotone I think. But he is significantly better than the other clown they had doing most Edmonton games last year.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I've only seen 2 King games so far this year but interesting to see very early on that Kopitar is still leading the forwards in TOI. Doughty leading the team. Both have looked very good IMO but it'll be interesting to see what they have left in the tank come playoff time if nothing changes. With the goaltending situation if the defense drops off could get even uglier.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
BTW, I went to the Oilers board for my daily dose of schadenfreude and, what's up with all the vitriol for Singh and, to a lesser extent, DeBrusk? Surely those guys can't be all that bad.
Albertans are more comfortable with a Smith than a Singh type of guy. If you know what I'm saying.

Reactions: LazRNN

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

LA and New Jersey going f*** around and find out. Neither of those teams are good enough to outscore their goalie problems like Colorado Avalanche 2021-22.

Albertans are more comfortable with a Smith than a Singh type of guy. If you know what I'm saying.
Singh sucks. The punjabi's agree except maybe @Avs_19. Oiler fans HATE that he seems to cheer hard for the other team but in fact Singh is a hardcore Oilers fan.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I dont like Singh personally, just doesnt have a great voice for play by play IMO, too monotone I think. But he is significantly better than the other clown they had doing most Edmonton games last year.
Oiler fans love love love Jack Michaels.

They are mad because Singh isn't homer enough and often praises the other teams.
Hes overcompensating. I know for a fact that Singh is a huge Oilers fan. Always has been.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Oiler fans love love love Jack Michaels.
Yeah because he's one of the most blatant homers you'll ever see in broadcasting. Right up alongside Jack Edwards quite frankly.

Moser isn't any better either quite frankly. I can tolerate him because at least he's a homer for the team I like but honestly he's probably one of the worst guys around as well and usually I just hope to get the other teams broadcast at this point in a lot of games. Or the national broadcast.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I've only seen 2 King games so far this year but interesting to see very early on that Kopitar is still leading the forwards in TOI. Doughty leading the team. Both have looked very good IMO but it'll be interesting to see what they have left in the tank come playoff time if nothing changes. With the goaltending situation if the defense drops off could get even uglier.
Can't be! I was told Kopitar was not significant anymore and not a core player on LA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad