Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They played .724 under the new coach and then beat the Flames in 5 in the playoffs, who everybody was considering a top contender (until the Oilers beat them, apparently) so yes they did finish 2nd in a weak Pacific but it's pretty clear that the coaching made a difference so the regular season record was skewed somewhat.

Not saying that they're a top 5 team necessarily although, outside of Colorado, Tampa, I don't think anybody has a real claim on 3rd but they're in the mix with a bunch of other teams after the top 2.
They got swept in four straight by Colorado. Agree to disagree on your last sentence. I think they’re in the mix after the top 5 teams though.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Less of a concern than 4.7 to a guy who was on waivers last year.
Lol. The topic is if Campbell has vaulted the Oil to elite status. That the Leafs current goaltending is dominating the conversation tells us everything.

Campbell is an average goalie who is injury prone but totally capable of stealing the odd game. Until the Oilers become a two way team their goalie won't matter unless he's elite.

Your comment is also disingeuise. If Murray made less he would not have been waived.

Gloating that your injury prone goalie who has never won anything is better than our Cup winning injury prone goalie is among the stranger positions to boast about on HF. It's kind of suggests animosity to Toronto massively trumps common sense.. .

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They got swept in four straight by Colorado. Agree to disagree on your last sentence. I think they’re in the mix after the top 5 teams though.
I'm aware of that, I'm aware that Colorado is better than them as well as everybody else. I'm just saying that making the argument about them not being a contender based on finishing 2nd in a weak Pacific has an asterisk because for most of the season they were treading water under Tippett and were a different team under the current regime and beat the team in the playoffs that they finished behind in the Pacific.

I don't think there's a clear top 5 in the league but we'll see.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Lol. The topic is if Campbell has vaulted the Oil to elite status. That the Leafs current goaltending is dominating the conversation tells us everything.

Campbell is an average goalie who is injury prone but totally capable of stealing the odd game. Until the Oilers become a two way team their goalie won't matter unless he's elite.

Your comment is also disingeuise. If Murray made less he would not have been waived.

Gloating that your injury prone goalie who has never won anything is better than our Cup winning injury prone goalie is among the stranger positions to boast about on HF. It's kind of suggests animosity to Toronto massively trumps common sense.. .
Frankly Campbell is a question mark for sure. He has one season as a starter. First half was elite, second half he battled injuries and struggled a bit. I’m not even arguing that. Maybe Campbell rounds out his game this year maybe he doesn’t. Neither side can say that definitively.

All I know is ex Leafs have great success here and in other markets. So far Dubas has handcuffed himself and lost guys like Freddy Andersen, Nazeem Kadri, Zach Hyman, Tyson Barrie and Cody Ceci who were all prominent players on final 4 teams this year while the Leafs still haven’t got over the first round hump.

Now he’s spending 4.7 on a guy who was waived and letting another good goalie walk for the sake of the long term when Matthews has 2 years left and Dubas himself would have been fired yesterday in any other organization. I have no animosity towards the Leafs but I can’t help when the jokes write themselves.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
He had 14 primary and 11 secondary
Math must be hard for you. Draisaitl had 32 points in last year's playoffs. 7 goals. 25 assists.

Among those 32 points, 21 were primary. Here’s a revelation for you: Goals count as primary points. He had 7 goals. He also had 14 primary assists. 7 + 14 + 21. Hence, he had 21 primary points. Points. Just like the previous poster said. Maybe you can add reading comprehension to your list.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Frankly Campbell is a question mark for sure. He has one season as a starter. First half was elite, second half he battled injuries and struggled a bit. I’m not even arguing that. Maybe Campbell rounds out his game this year maybe he doesn’t. Neither side can say that definitively.

All I know is ex Leafs have great success here and in other markets. So far Dubas has handcuffed himself and lost guys like Freddy Andersen, Nazeem Kadri, Zach Hyman, Tyson Barrie and Cody Ceci who were all prominent players on final 4 teams this year while the Leafs still haven’t got over the first round hump.

Now he’s spending 4.7 on a guy who was waived and letting another good goalie walk for the sake of the long term when Matthews has 2 years left and Dubas himself would have been fired yesterday in any other organization. I have no animosity towards the Leafs but I can’t help when the jokes write themselves.
Yep. It's all about the Leafs.

It's funny you don't know top teams lose good players all the time, if the Oil were better managed you would have experienced it by now.

While we all loved Hyman Naz is the only loss that hurt and Dubas didn't force Naz to be the king of Playoff suspensions. Ceci and Barrie wouldn't even make our team....One man's garbage is anothers gold and all that....

I'm sure how Murray plays this year will totally decide if the Oilers are better...you know..the topic you are ignoring to fixate on the Leafs.

• Haha
Reactions: MessierII

KyleDubasBoyGenius

Sep 13, 2022

This is a narrative that just isn't true. Most teams lose better players than that. Cody Ceci? Dubas got destroyed for simply defending him LOL. Tyson Barrie? Good lord, He was laughed at when he was a Leaf. Why would Leafs pay 7 million for Ceci and barrie? They've got Mark Giordano for 800K.
Vegas gives away stars every summer. Minnesota just made the Nylander trade everyone's been saying Dubas is forced to do for 4 years (Fiala trade). Carolina lost a #1 D. Colorado loses their #1 starter yearly. There's nothin unusual about that group of players you mentioned moving on. And Dubas had the cap anyways to keep them. Andersen continues to have good regular season and either plays bad in the playoffs, or doesn't play at all.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
No, top 10. BUt Campbell doesnt turn them into a top 5 team

JC at his best does, JC when hes off is not a good goalie and could be a liability.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It's funny you don't know top teams lose good players all the time, if the Oil were better managed you would have experienced it by now.
We just accomplished something the Leafs haven’t accomplished since Matts Sundin was on the team. Leafs aren’t the model of sound management they are how not to manage.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
This is fair and what I think. Some games were close, but we got swept. More credibility if we won a few games. Thank god Smith is gone. Carolina is a great team ad a few others as well.

I don't think any Oiler fan thinks Campbell has "vaulted" us to elite status. We are not an elite team. I think the NHL maybe has 2 of them. Smith and Koskinen took the Oilers to league average goaltending I think. Isn't Campbell right around there as well? Middle?

I would rather ride with a guy almost 10 years (or 10+ years) younger than Mike Smith lol. I think Campbell can give Edmonton more consistent goaltending. Not top 5 in the NHL, but I would be very happy if he puts up #'s that put him closer to 11th than 20th. The Oilers were playing well under Jay Woodcroft.

Reactions: BlueBaron

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Does that make them top 5 with the help
Of Jack Campbell?

Sorry, I probably wasn't being very clear.

To answer your question - not in my view, no. They're probably close, but I think that has less to do with shuffling their goaltending and more to do with their star power at forward and their young players gaining more experience. I do think Jack can be good for them, but he's every bit the gamble of the other goalies who were available on the UFA market. Depends on which version they get.

KyleDubasBoyGenius

Sep 13, 2022
We just accomplished something the Leafs haven’t accomplished since Matts Sundin was on the team. Leafs aren’t the model of sound management they are how not to manage.
When Leafs made the conference finals did any Non-Leaf fan think it was a big deal or accomplishment? I had a lot of rival fans back then telling me it's cup or bust.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This is fair and what I think. Some games were close, but we got swept. More credibility if we won a few games. Thank god Smith is gone. Carolina is a great team ad a few others as well.

I don't think any Oiler fan thinks Campbell has "vaulted" us to elite status. We are not an elite team. I think the NHL maybe has 2 of them. Smith and Koskinen took the Oilers to league average goaltending I think. Isn't Campbell right around there as well? Middle?

I would rather ride with a guy almost 10 years (or 10+ years) younger than Mike Smith lol. I think Campbell can give Edmonton more consistent goaltending. Not top 5 in the NHL, but I would be very happy if he puts up #'s that put him closer to 11th than 20th. The Oilers were playing well under Jay Woodcroft.

Maybe the Oilers aren't an "elite team" but they are extremely good with some young players still getting better and when you have 2 of the top 3-5ish forwards in the league you are a SC contender as the rest of the squad is getting better.

Reactions: SnipeShowJB11

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
It's funny that Smith/Koskinen were like the worst goalies ever according to HF hivemind the last 3 years and now all of a sudden the Oilers are worse off or at least not better off without them. Funny stuff

The fact of the matter is that Smith was actually underrated by the HF hivemind but at 40, he was getting injured more often so he was unreliable from a health standpoint. The hope is that Campbell will be an improvement based on actually being available to play most of the season. I'd be content if Campbell performed as well as Smith. Smith was a borderline top 10 goalie the last two seasons in the regular season when he actually played. Playoffs not so much partially because his old body broke down.
You better bubble wrap him if you want to keep him healthy. Based of history Campbell will be injured at least a couple of times during the season.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If the Leafs made the conference finals we would hear about it for years on HF.

Well it might happen as soon as this year as they were very close to getting the monkey off their back last year, much like the Oilers broke through this year until they hit the Avs wall.

I think people also underestimate how good the Avs were last year as they completely dominated 2 time SC champs TB in the 3rd period of their clinching game in a way that was just so dominant.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't think there should be anything controversial about putting the Oilers hovering somewhere around, or perhaps just outside of, the top five mark. I'd personally put four or five teams ahead of them, but I think it's fair to say they're in the mix.

I do think they looked completely outclassed by Colorado, though, and I don't think the difference in that matchup is the addition of Jack Campbell.
I agree with your measured take.... few x factors that may or may not make us better this season vs last...

Campbell should be steadier than Smith as he's younger with less wear and tear. I don't think anyone think's he is winning the Vezina but if he can be around .920 and healthy.. awesome. Definitely not a guarantee.

Kane for a full year could be a great thing (or a really bad one) but that is a big difference too as we didn't get him till late in season. Definitely not a guarantee.

Woodcroft (and Manson seems very good) as coach for a full year should be a big improvement for us (but you never know). I think he might be the biggest X factor for us as he seems to be a very good coach (some questionable playoff choices though).

Bouch should be nearing his potential and should be in for a very good season (I hope but also not a guarantee)

3 hopes and prayers ... I think those 3 factors are more important than Campbell/Skinner over Smith/Koskinen but we will see.

I"m also seeing some revisionist history... oilers were terrible for long stretches last year, had to fire their coach in season and LA was missing some real key players in round 1. Our big achievement was that we kicked the shit out of Calgary and that was great because they had the goalie we were trying to get and he had a bad series. The AVs kicking the shit out of us is also seemingly forgotten and, as an Oil fan, we weren't close.. we got taken out by their backup goalie. I'm not sure if we've closed that gap at all!

Making the final 4 was amazing but it was an insane up and down season with an amazing run from Drai/McD (Kane, Hyman and RNH as well).

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Well it might happen as soon as this year as they were very close to getting the monkey off their back last year, much like the Oilers broke through this year until they hit the Avs wall.

I think people also underestimate how good the Avs were last year as they completely dominated 2 time SC champs TB in the 3rd period of their clinching game in a way that was just so dominant.
I mean the Avs went 16-4 I don’t think anyone is questioning their dominance. It’s one of the best playoff records ever. The only way to beat them was to have your goalie to stand on his head for a game or two. I’m not sure they were outplayed in a single game.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Smith would probably still be a good backup this year. He was great for Edmonton in short stints then would just burn out. Campbell doesn't need to be great for Edmonton, he just has to be consistent.
I honestly feel a Campbell + Smith tandem is better than the Campbell + Skinner duo.

If the Oilers can somehow solve their cap issues that would be the way to go. We all know that Smith could play if his salary wasn't needed to be LTIR'd

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I honestly feel a Campbell + Smith tandem is better than the Campbell + Skinner duo.

If the Oilers can somehow solve their cap issues that would be the way to go. We all know that Smith could play if his salary wasn't needed to be LTIR'd
I have a feeling that Smith comes back sometime this year if either goalie is failing during the season and he'll be on the roster during the playoffs.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I have a feeling that Smith comes back sometime this year if either goalie is failing during the season and he'll be on the roster during the playoffs.
Predicting a miraculous injury recovery eh? :D

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Woodcroft (and Manson seems very good) as coach for a full year should be a big improvement for us (but you never know). I think he might be the biggest X factor for us as he seems to be a very good coach (some questionable playoff choices though).

I think this is a key. Is Woodcroft a good coach or did he give the team a "played well after new coach boost"?

I remember when the Pens first promoted Bylsma after firing Therien. They played great (even resulted in a Cup) and we all thought "coach of the future! more championships to come". Turns out Bylsma simply took Therien's existing structure, but loosened the reins and allowed more offensive freedom and the players responded to that -- for a short time.

After that, when Bylsma had fully implemented his own system, the team kept underachieving and never again reached the level they did immediately after he took over.

Is Woodcroft in the same boat where the players simply played well because he was a breath of fresh air after Tippett? Or is he a quality coach? This season should be telling.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don’t think so. He barely made it through the year last year. Smiths one of the most competitive guys. If he’s done he’s done.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Yes and the year before that the Montreal Canadiens played for the Stanley cup

We are at the part of the season where actual results like getting to the Stanley Cup Final or getting to the Conference Finals is mocked by fans of teams who haven't been past the 2nd round in 15+ years. Cool.

Reactions: SnipeShowJB11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad