Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If they are anything next season it will be entirely due to McDavid and Draisaitl. Campbell is as average as it gets.
Average is all we needed after last year. It went between spectacular to atrocious with very little middle ground. It would have been nice to get "average" at a better cap hit, but average should still be a nice change. I'm still thinking we see close to a 50/50 split between Campbell and Skinner anyway.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
And like I said after the last decade, and after failing multiple times with 2 or the best 5 players in the world, you guys deserves to make it to the third round!

Also my post was replying to someone who said the flames haven't made it to the third round in 15 years, well the Oilers haven't won a game in the third round in 15 years
Flames have told us about their "amazing defense" since Jay Bouwmeester and Kipper back in the day...then Giordano and Hamilton like 5 years ago

and still have like 2 series wins during that time...utterly pathetic

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Leafs are a toxic environment, so Campbell should thrive with a much better team, with much better character, and a much better fanbase.

Career year incoming as is tradition when any player escapes Toronto.
You make a lot of good posts. Then you go and make one like this. :huh:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lol you're right! Making it one round further then getting you're asses kicked after the last decade, despite multiple first overall picks and being gifted the best player in the NHL is definitely much much better! Congrats on the third round exit though, after the last decade of abuse you guys definitely earned it

Also the flames and oilers have won the same amount of games in the playoffs in the last 15 years in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the playoffs.
You figured some (don't want to group you all together) Flames fans would have been humbled after the Oilers extinguished them in the playoffs but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
Jack Campbell didnt make leafs a top 5 contending team so I dont know why it would make Oilers a top 5 contending team. And Leafs have much better D and had lots of forward depth to boot. No Jack Campbell has not proven anything. Maybe if Oilers had gotten Vasilevsky, then you could say somethimg like this but Campbell???
Jack Campbell most certainly did not make us a top five team. Our offense did. Jack Campbell is hot garbage. If there is one team I was hoping would pay way too much for way too long it was edm. Is Edmonton a top five team? Hahahahaha. No..easy road to semis last year (which they nearly blew) and got pumped by the first top team they faced....bad... Until Edmonton can run two lines (and not sneak Connor onto drais line constantly, while pretending he centers his own line) they might not even make the playoffs. It certainly would be very Edmonton like to implode and not make it. Times ticking on mcd to Toronto....tick tock. Tick tock

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Still more playoff series wins than the Leafs. You can throw all those stones you want but the Leafs are a joke until they can actually win a series
Not stones, just facts. 1 and 11 in the last 5 years in the playoffs against non-Pacific teams. Level of competition, Oilers fan base has been steadily ignoring this so they can pump their chests "Made the WCF!" when in reality everyone knows the only reason they made it there is divisional playoffs.

I can't imagine anyone would consider a team that has a 8% win rate in the playoffs against non-divisional teams in a 5 year span, as a contender.

You can talk about the Leafs all you want even though this isn't a Leafs thread, but they've gone the distance in every single series and were actually able to put up respectable series against teams like Tampa/Boston. Edmonton's 1 win was against Chicago as well.

Funny enough if you go back 6-7 years they had wins against a good San Jose team, since that point the entire Pacific has become a shell of its former self.

• Haha
Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I just wonder how much their defense will be affected by the loss of Duncan Keith. I thought he was a solid top 4 d-man last year, who helped Evan Bouchard have a breakout year. Who replaces him? Broberg, Kulak, Ryan Murray? And what's the effect of losing a veteran defensive leader on the team?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I just wonder how much their defense will be affected by the loss of Duncan Keith. I thought he was a solid top 4 d-man last year, who helped Evan Bouchard have a breakout year. Who replaces him? Broberg, Kulak, Ryan Murray? And what's the effect of losing a veteran defensive leader on the team?
It really depends on how much of a step forward the youth can have. Can Bouchard take a step forward? Can Kulak continue his play? Can Murray be healthy or can Broberg be the player some people think he can be?
Oilers have a ton of questions marks on defense but could easily improve as well.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He sucked in losing series to Caps and islanders.
stunk while getting eliminated by the Habs
I have my doubts about Murray because his decline lines up exactly with the reduction in pad sizes the league put out in 17-18. Even if he gets over his injury and confidence issues I find it unlikely he ever regains his 2016 form.

Reactions: PaulD

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Lol what? All teams have good players. You were gifted McDavid, we picked Johnny in the 4th round, meaning every team had multiple chances to take him. Hamilton and hanifin were traded for, other teams could have traded for them. Markstrom we signed, other teams could have signed him(and is our first real starter since kiprusoff), Tkachuk was 6th overall, meaning others could have had him. Calgary highest draft pick in franchise history is 4th overall because we try to compete every year, we didn't get good by being the joke of the NHL for multiple years. Then you add 2 of the best 5 players in the world and you still have won as many games in the 3 and 4th rounds as calgary in the last 15 years lol alot to be proud of forsure!
Then what's with all these tears in your post? Good players = good players, no need to cry about draft position. Good players need to put up or shut up, unfortunately yours didn't. Better luck next year.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I talked about assists… I never said primary points… goals are irrelevant to the conversation at hand
But the premise doesn't make sense anyways because you don't even define what is feasting and why it even matters. Makar had 10 primary and 11 secondary, at least Drai had more primary than secondary. Are you going to tell us Makar was feasting on secondary assists and why this bad? Didn't seem to matter too much at the parade...

Reactions: capazzo and Duke74

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
But the premise doesn't make sense anyways because you don't even define what is feasting and why it even matters. Makar had 10 primary and 11 secondary, at least Drai had more primary than secondary. Are you going to tell us Makar was feasting on secondary assists and why this bad? Didn't seem to matter too much at the parade...
Makar is a defenceman… comparing apples to oranges

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You figured some (don't want to group you all together) Flames fans would have been humbled after the Oilers extinguished them in the playoffs but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Only group of people I've ever seen that feel justified chirping from what is very clearly not a favorable position. The mental math they deploy to attempt to chirp the Oilers is hilarious.

"The Flames haven't been successful at all, BUT LOOK AT HOW UNSUCCESSFUL THE OILERS HAVE BEEN GETTING TO A PLACE THE FLAMES HAVE NEVER EVEN SNIFFED WHILE RUNNING OVER THE FLAMES TO GET THERE!!!"

What a burn.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
To say that the Oiler's defense could be negatively affected by the loss of old man Duncan Keith is somewhat sad and a strong reflection of the state of their current defense.
Broberg could be fascinating to watch. Last time he was on the Oilers roster he was as useless as tits on a bull.
Kulak really shouldn't be any team's 2nd line defenseman. He's a good 3rd liner but he's not a legit 2nd pairing guy and putting him on the 2nd line as a regular is making him play over his head.
The best place for Murray is in the press box eating popcorn as the 7th D.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not stones, just facts. 1 and 11 in the last 5 years in the playoffs against non-Pacific teams. Level of competition, Oilers fan base has been steadily ignoring this so they can pump their chests "Made the WCF!" when in reality everyone knows the only reason they made it there is divisional playoffs.

I can't imagine anyone would consider a team that has a 8% win rate in the playoffs against non-divisional teams in a 5 year span, as a contender.

You can talk about the Leafs all you want even though this isn't a Leafs thread, but they've gone the distance in every single series and were actually able to put up respectable series against teams like Tampa/Boston. Edmonton's 1 win was against Chicago as well.

Funny enough if you go back 6-7 years they had wins against a good San Jose team, since that point the entire Pacific has become a shell of its former self.
A lot of experts had Calgary as a darkhorse for the final. Most ranked the West as 1) Colorado, 2) St. Louis/Calgary, 3) Minnesota 4) Everyone else. I think Oiler fans are right in beating our chests about beating a team that many considered a dark horse for the cup, especially when they did it the way they did it.

You'd think more Calgary fans would be mad at the entirety of HF calling them a loser team last year, but not if it means the Oilers look better for it I guess. Ha ha.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To say that the Oiler's defense could be negatively affected by the loss of old man Duncan Keith is somewhat sad and a strong reflection of the state of their current defense.
Broberg could be fascinating to watch. Last time he was on the Oilers roster he was as useless as tits on a bull.
Kulak really shouldn't be any team's 2nd line defenseman. He's a good 3rd liner but he's not a legit 2nd pairing guy and putting him on the 2nd line as a regular is making him play over his head.
The best place for Murray is in the press box eating popcorn as the 7th D.

Kulak was as good as Hanifin or Andersson (or Keith for that matter) in the playoffs when it mattered. Probably honestly better than some of those guys, a lot of guys coasting on regular season or past accomplishments there. Hanifin was a putrid -11 in 12 playoff games, that's nightmare fuel.

Last edited:

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
So did Bylsma. He implemented a more aggressive forechecking system and I believe activated the defense more than Therien did. And the players praised him for it too.

But until he had full seasons under his belt to see how he handles all situations, you couldn't analyze how good (or bad) of a coach Bylsma actually was.

His record looks pretty good here. what am I missing?

PIT2008–09251834(99)[1]2nd in Atlantic24168Won Stanley Cup (DET)
PIT2009–1082472871012nd in Atlantic1376Lost in Conference Semifinals (MTL)
PIT2010–1182492581062nd in Atlantic734Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (TBL)
PIT2011–1282512561082nd in Atlantic624Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (PHI)
PIT2012–1348[2]36120721st in Atlantic1587Lost in Conference Finals (BOS)
PIT2013–1482512471091st in Metropolitan1376Lost in Second Round (NYR)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jack Campbell most certainly did not make us a top five team. Our offense did. Jack Campbell is hot garbage. If there is one team I was hoping would pay way too much for way too long it was edm. Is Edmonton a top five team? Hahahahaha. No..easy road to semis last year (which they nearly blew) and got pumped by the first top team they faced....bad... Until Edmonton can run two lines (and not sneak Connor onto drais line constantly, while pretending he centers his own line) they might not even make the playoffs. It certainly would be very Edmonton like to implode and not make it. Times ticking on mcd to Toronto....tick tock. Tick tock

lol if the Leafs don't go somewhere soon, it's far more likely Matthews bolts to the bright lights of LA. Leafs are up against a much tighter clock.

Reactions: capazzo

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015

I think you are rating Atlantic and the East much higher than they actually are. Half of the Atlantic were legit the worst teams in the league. hell half of the east were lottery teams. Dont tell me the East is more difficult when its a cake walk to get to playoffs there. there is a reason there are only 3 east teams that ever make finals in east (Tampa, Pitts, Boston), because when playoffs start the rest of the east are revealed as paper tigers.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Makar is a defenceman… comparing apples to oranges
Huh? He's their best play driver and routinely joins or leads the rush himself. I'm comparing assists to assists.

Mackinnon - 11, 6 primary. 54%.
Rantanen - 20, 13 primary. 65%.
Gaudreau - 11, 7 primary. 64%.
Marner - 4, 2 primary. 50%.
Kucherov - 21, 14 primary. 67%.
McDavid - 23, 17 primary. 74%.
Matthews - 5, 2 primary. 40%.
Fox - 18, 10 primary. 56%
Hedman - 16, 7 primary. 44%.

So you have other defenseman in the same range as Makar which is not that far off from these other elite forwards. Only McDavid has >70% of his assists as primary, which is to be expected because there is an obvious gap between him and the next best players in the league. Scorers like Matthews and Mack, which Drai is one also, around the 40-50%. Then everyone else is between 60-65%, with Kucherov pushing a bit higher. I struggle to see how Drai at 56% is feasting when he's ina simialr boat with Mack/Marner/Fox and only slightly behind guys like Rantanen/Kuch/Gaudreau.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Yes the Leafs lost to a better team in Tampa last year. But the two prior years they lost to Montreal and Colombus.
I don’t think you’ll get any sympathy for tough matchups on here when you’ve had extremely favourable ones two of the last three years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes the Leafs lost to a better team in Tampa last year. But the two prior years they lost to Montreal and Colombus.
I don’t think you’ll get any sympathy for tough matchups on here when you’ve had extremely favourable ones two of the last three years.

Also Matthews and Marner have had talented supporting casts basically every year of their tenure in Toronto. Tavares, Nylander, Hyman, Reilly, Brodie, Muzzin, some years with Kadri, etc. etc.

Last season was really the first year the McDavid and Draisaitl had what one could term a "fair" amount of talent having grabbed Hyman and then added Kane around them and even then the blue line was trashed due to Nurse getting badly hurt the week before the playoffs.

Matthews and Marner have had plenty of run support in every one of their playoff stretches and done nothing with it, the first year McDavid and Draisaitl have someone better than Lucic or Maroon or a washed up Neal on their wings they go to a conference final even with their no.1 D badly hurt and Draisaitl playing on one leg.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Didn’t go the distance with Washington.

And when your up 3 games to 1 or 2 , half the time, it’s going to go the distance if you don’t close out the series.

Reactions: PaulD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad