Are the Oilers a top 5 contender next season with Jack Campbell?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The two biggest issues for Campbell are:

1. Health - good luck keeping him on the ice for 50+ games

2. Mental - he folds quickly and gets down on himself after a bad game. This will probably be worse with a big dollar long term contract pressure plus playing behind a far worse defensive team

The90 said:
Inconsistent, injuries, soft goals etc. they’re all an issue for Campbell as well.

What do you think Murray's biggest issues are?

The90 said:
We’re saying the reasons you’re excited smith is gone, are the same as the reasons Leaf fans are ok with Campbell being gone.

And the same reasons Sens fans are glad Murray is gone.

I find this debate about goaltending highly amusing.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Bad news friend. Campbell had <.903 for the majority of last season.
Leafs fans narrative is that the first half of the season didn’t happen. Only the back half. Campbell through a comparable amount of games had a lot better save% than that.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He had 14 primary and 11 secondary
"Primary points" = goals + primary assists.

You accused Draisaitl of racking up secondary assists.

In reality, among players with 20+ playoff points in any one season, Draisaitl's 21 primary points in 16 games is historically good. Like, outside of the 1980-1993 era, it's top six or seven all-time, I think.

You were wrong.

KyleDubasBoyGenius

Sep 13, 2022
Leafs fans narrative is that the first half of the season didn’t happen. Only the back half. Campbell through a comparable amount of games had a lot better save% than that.
I think giving 5x5 to a platoon goalie who's never played 50 games is the concern.

KyleDubasBoyGenius

Sep 13, 2022
Less of a concern than 4.7 to a guy who was on waivers last year.
Only 2 years, 28 and sported a .906 on Ottawa.
Campbell was in the AHL at the same age BTW. He also was in the ECHL when Murray was winning cups.
Markstrom was also previously on waivers.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Jack Campbell might be the 7th best starter in the Pacific so at least that's an improvement for Edmonton

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

The90

Feb 27, 2017
What do you think Murray's biggest issues are?

And the same reasons Sens fans are glad Murray is gone.

I find this debate about goaltending highly amusing.
The exact same issues. No issue admitting that and I’m not pretending otherwise. Injury maybe being near the top of that list.

Lol. No. It’s that for all the same reasons you’re happy smith is gone, the leafs are ok with Campbell leaving. Seeing you guys parade it as ‘thank god, smith was always inconsistent and injured’ is bizarre because you could swap smith and Campbell and be accurate

Reactions: NyQuil

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Lol. No. It’s that for all the same reasons you’re happy smith is gone, the leafs are ok with Campbell leaving. Seeing you guys parade it as ‘thank god, smith was always inconsistent and injured’ is bizarre because you could swap smith and Campbell and be accurate
Difference is the drop off from Campbell to smith is pretty lateral and Campbell is way younger and has upside. You guys instead picked up 2 distinctly worse goalies hoping they turn their careers around.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Only 2 years, 28 and sported a .906 on Ottawa.
Campbell was in the AHL at the same age BTW. He also was in the ECHL when Murray was winning cups.
Markstrom was also previously on waivers.
When Jack Campbell was 28 he played 0 AHL games. That was the year he was traded to Toronto. What Murray did 6 years ago is meaningless today. Murray was in the AHL last year. Then you’ve got Samsonov who’s never been more than a good back up. This is boy genius’s goalie tandem going into the final year before Matthews extension talks. Embarrassing.

Reactions: capazzo

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
You guys really don’t get how Campbell had the #’s he had from January on. He literally was letting in backing soft goals from everywhere. Lol. Look in the playoffs at the gallagher goal in game 7

Pittsburgh couldn’t afford Murray big guy. His play wasn’t why he left. @Sidney the Kidney mentions it somewhere in here
He sucked in losing series to Caps and islanders.
stunk while getting eliminated by the Habs

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Top 5 in the conference? sure. Top 5 in the NHL? I have Florida, Tampa, Toronto, Pitt, NYRangers, Colorado, Stlouis, Calgary in front. Nashville, Washington, Vancouver and Minnesota atleast as good. So no.
Interesting, Isn't that the team they beat in 5 last year in the playoffs? Just asking for a friend.

Reactions: capazzo

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The best part about delusional Oilers fans (outside of them thinking the WCF was a very close series) is them believing that Campbell is an upgrade on Smith/Koskinen. Holland paid double for a goalie that is, at best, a lateral move.

View attachment 583167

The Maple leafs had the worst goaltending of any playoff team. And Campbell was a huge part of that.
It's funny that Smith/Koskinen were like the worst goalies ever according to HF hivemind the last 3 years and now all of a sudden the Oilers are worse off or at least not better off without them. Funny stuff

The fact of the matter is that Smith was actually underrated by the HF hivemind but at 40, he was getting injured more often so he was unreliable from a health standpoint. The hope is that Campbell will be an improvement based on actually being available to play most of the season. I'd be content if Campbell performed as well as Smith. Smith was a borderline top 10 goalie the last two seasons in the regular season when he actually played. Playoffs not so much partially because his old body broke down.

KyleDubasBoyGenius

Sep 13, 2022
When Jack Campbell was 28 he played 0 AHL games. That was the year he was traded to Toronto. What Murray did 6 years ago is meaningless today. Murray was in the AHL last year. Then you’ve got Samsonov who’s never been more than a good back up. This is boy genius’s goalie tandem going into the final year before Matthews extension talks. Embarrassing.
Correct. I was wrong. He was 27 when he played with the Ontario Reign.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Talking about his play on the ice and results after signing with the Oil. ......try keep up
He just re-signed (a 5.1MM contract) as a UFA. Doesn't sound like a bidding war. Pretty well Kyle Palmieri money.
Definitely all-star caliber.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
When ON Jack Campbell is a very reliable goaltender - he also has the ability to get wayyy too hard on himself.

I like the heck of the guy; but I'm not speaking outa turn in saying he's not very mentally strong. (Mean that in the nicest way)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It's funny that Smith/Koskinen were like the worst goalies ever according to HF hivemind the last 3 years and now all of a sudden the Oilers are worse off or at least not better off without them. Funny stuff

The fact of the matter is that Smith was actually underrated by the HF hivemind but at 40, he was getting injured more often so he was unreliable from a health standpoint. The hope is that Campbell will be an improvement based on actually being available to play most of the season. I'd be content if Campbell performed as well as Smith. Smith was a borderline top 10 goalie the last two seasons in the regular season when he actually played. Playoffs not so much partially because his old body broke down.
Smith would probably still be a good backup this year. He was great for Edmonton in short stints then would just burn out. Campbell doesn't need to be great for Edmonton, he just has to be consistent.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This reminds me of Jeff O’Neill wondering out loud at the trade deadline how most of the Canadian teams supposedly improved their goaltending if the goalies just rotated around.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My top 7 contenders are:
Colorado
Tampa
Carolina
NYR
Florida/Toronto/St. Louis

Then I think Calgary, Minnesota and Edmonton are in the mix. So top 10 team.

I have trouble calling Edmonton a top contender when they got swept in 4 straight by Colorado and finished second in a weak Pacific Division. And they haven’t really made significant additions from last year aside from Campbell who was no better than Smith last year. The defense imo is still their Achilles’ Heel. It’s by far the worst of any contender.

That said, having two of the best players in the world in their primes means they could definitely make the WC Finals again if some breaks go their way.
They played .724 hockey under the new coach and then beat the Flames in 5 in the playoffs, who everybody was considering a top contender (until the Oilers beat them, apparently) so yes they did finish 2nd in a weak Pacific but it's pretty clear that the coaching made a difference so the regular season record was skewed somewhat.

Not saying that they're a top 5 team necessarily although, outside of Colorado, Tampa, I don't think anybody has a real claim on 3rd but they're in the mix with a bunch of other teams after the top 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad