Annoying TV Commercials - 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
The amount of gambling ads is really nuts in Canada the last year and a bit.

Obvious that some laws were changed.

Gambling is totally cool up here, kids are watching these commercials and that's fine apparently.

I don't know if it's actually Canada wide or an Ontario thing though.

Tbh I am quite annoyed now,
So many people I know now gamble almost daily on football and hockey.

Not a single one I speak to think its a problem and they all convince they are positive cash flow or close too.
Math doesn't add up...

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
You'll understand when your a father :laugh:. To be honest I find them sadly amusing. Terrible ads I can't remember what they are selling, but TV dads sticks with you. :laugh:

Then again the "Don't become your parents" ads are the same, somewhat amusing but again terrible ads in what they are actually for has never stuck with me.

Those Doctor Rick commercials make me want to carve my eyeballs out

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I find in general that NHL coverage has a huge problem with saturation of the same f***ing ads. Not the same companies, per se, but running the exact same five ads in a loop. What leads them to believe that viewers enjoy this? It has a purely negative effect on me and how I view the companies advertizing their products and services. Just give me some variety.

I loved that Freddie Mercury ad too... the first time. If you're watching a lot of playoff hockey, you want to rip out your eyeballs and pierce your eardrums by this point. We're two games into the postseason.
I'd guess the ads they have are the only companies that they could get. Even with local coverage, on Bally or whoever else, you get the same commercials every game, and for the most part played in the same sequences. So, the repetition could be fixed if the league and networks could market the games better. Until then, we'll have to learn to like it.

Dec 15, 2002
I’m not big on the Stanley Cup promo with the girlie “Kiss Me” song. It’s a different take, I know. I’d just prefer something a little more awe-inspiring.
At least you can think about the song, and say OK, I can draw the connection there and they're not just lifting some lyric out and running with it and the rest of the song is obviously different. Like, say, what they're doing with Hot Chocolate's song.

I think "Blank Space" by Taylor Swift would fit for the chorus, and NBCSN briefly used it a couple years back, but the rest of the song doesn't really fit. [I think the NHL should lob a few million dollars at her to tweak the song to fit for hockey, or even better write something they could use every year.]

JBHockey

Mar 12, 2012
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Tbh I am quite annoyed now,
So many people I know now gamble almost daily on football and hockey.

Not a single one I speak to think its a problem and they all convince they are positive cash flow or close too.
Math doesn't add up...

Same here, everyone I know that gambles wants you to believe they are at least breaking even, if that were true these companies wouldn't exit.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
One ad I enjoy is that TV commercial with the cat that goes "wooow" or something like that. So unexpected the 1st time.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Anyone with the Sportsnet app....how about the one for Canada's got talent with the gymnastics group from Montreal....makes me want to blow my brains out.
I am at the point where I die laughing when it comes on, I tell my wife, "wait watch his face" as he's all twisted up like a pretzel with a huge grin inches from the floor.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I am at the point where I die laughing when it comes on, I tell my wife, "wait watch his face" as he's all twisted up like a pretzel with a huge grin inches from the floor.

Ugh, the number of times that ad and the one where the host tells us just how many "episodes of CGT we can watch", plays, you could probably add it up to a full period of hockey.

And no, I don't plan on watching a single minute of that show. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad