Annoying TV Commercials - 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
A great commercial is the one “don’t call your co-workers rockstars!”. I love that one.
I was at a large meeting yesterday where someone used that phrase. "You're all rockstars!".

All I could think of was Paul Stanley and Ozzy telling them to stop it. I love that someone finally stuck a pin in that tired cliche.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
I hate Cabbie so much, I was in support of people gambling if they want but seeing him constantly throughout the game is so painful it's making me reconsider. That ad where he screams LETS GOOOOOOOOOO at the end is permanently etched in my brain. It's just too much too often. I wish they would tone it down.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I was at a large meeting yesterday where someone used that phrase. "You're all rockstars!".

All I could think of was Paul Stanley and Ozzy telling them to stop it. I love that someone finally stuck a pin in that tired cliche.

1682693217481.png

That glare cracks me up every time. :laugh:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I hate Cabbie so much, I was in support of people gambling if they want but seeing him constantly throughout the game is so painful it's making me reconsider. That ad where he screams LETS GOOOOOOOOOO at the end is permanently etched in my brain. It's just too much too often. I wish they would tone it down.

I'm the same with that "PLAYOFF MOOOOOOOOOOOOODE" ad, I think they've actually ramped up the frequency on it now too.

Reactions: tfwnogf

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I don't understand that commercial, making the best of a bad situation by ordering on Amazon? It has to be more nuanced doesn't it?
I don't mind the commercial other than it's played at nauseam. But it is more nuanced.

There is no "bad" situation. They have a mustache--so what?
The point of the commercial is that they are embracing who they are as a person—mustache and all.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
That biosteel ad sucks- they really gotta bring attention to the fact that they aren’t Gatorade. Instead it’s just kinda generic hockey highlights, don’t even think the company name was said.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
The amount of gambling ads is really nuts in Canada the last year and a bit.

Obvious that some laws were changed.

Gambling is totally cool up here, kids are watching these commercials and that's fine apparently.

I don't know if it's actually Canada wide or an Ontario thing though.
I was just complaining in a habs thread about this. Its baked into the already terrible SN broadcast. They had to replace beer ads with something, lets find another terrible vice to showcase and endorse wholeheartedly.

The frequency is ridiculous too.

The most annoying regular commercials was when my wife and I were watching some stream where they had back to back chrome commercials with opera singing for 55 seconds every 5 minutes during her show.

So any commercials that you see twice during a break, or show up once every break would be my candidate . So far draft kings on SN is leading the way, with MGM closing in. I shouldn't even know the name of these apps so it must be working.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Gambling ads are awful. I hope we can shame them into dropping those or get some regulations in place to stop them. If a grown adult wants to gamble, drink alcohol, smoke, whatever so be it but let's not seduce more to do it with advertising on mainstream entertainment.

Not from these playoffs (I don't think) but Scotiabank has had some really irritating commercials as recently as last season. Also commercials that use that type of music I like to call whimper crooning.
I was playing some gotcha games with my adult step son...blew 120 in a month playing 5 account during covid. Really easy to get hooked. If they are going to ban advertisements for those other things that ruin your health, throw in gambling with stress and financial loss. And like smokes and alcohol they KNOW its negative and you won't come out ahead. The house never loses.

As mentioned up thread. Just put in prostitution ads. Whats wrong with seeing some hot people doing inappropriate things with ...all kinds of other things. At least in that case you do get a tangible product. Its a lot more honest at least. Dial SEX TALK now on your touch tone phone has a better outcome with just a high phone bill than most of these betting apps.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I don't mind the commercial other than it's played at nauseam. But it is more nuanced.

There is no "bad" situation. They have a mustache--so what?
The point of the commercial is that they are embracing who they are as a person—mustache and all.
So typical empty BS ad. They aren't doing anything other than targeting a group to make them think buying from us can make you cool. Not true and does literally nothing to improve the lives of people who may be different in some ways and are clearly concerned about it.(as they were depicted in the initial half of the ad) Just pure pap. Want to help out that person, donate to one of their causes..like StacheBeGone - funding solutions to remove that ugly stache that even your 16 year old nephew is suppose to shave off.

Reactions: PlushMinus
Dec 15, 2002
I've long realized that I'm not in the target audience of the vast majority of commercials. Like, say, Apple commercials, which I think are targeted at people who've done at least 4 hits of acid in the last hour.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I hate the 'playoff mode" commercial. Dude at the end sitting in a basketball net yelling "playoff Moooooooooooo"

finish your words when you talk.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
The pickup truck commercial where instead of waddling up the trail like everyone else in the national forest, the guys drives his truck up the road to the backside of a waterfall in order to impress the woman that he's currently sleeping with.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Late entry: the new Coca-Cola commercial where they cook pasta or something and ruin it with Coca-Cola
Useless influencer-type woman: "EnJoYYyyYYY, CheeEeeEEErs to uUuUuuUUUssSSSSs, we did itt!
I hate everything about modern advertising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad