Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think the 2nd gives Philly the advantage in terms of value for the trade.

But I think cutter is the type of guy we wanted/needed…. And I think with the way the season turned out…. Pv prob knew were getting Dickinson, levshunov, silayev or whoever we deem best available at our pick
It's certainly an interesting gamble for both teams.

Both players should/will address their new teams needs better but i am curious about how high of a ceiling each gets too as well.

The 2nd appears to be a risk recapture as Drysdale's health and defensive play are still very much in question.

I doubt we ever get to the reasons the relationship wasn't great between the Flyers and Gauthier. Could just be a case of Gauthier not liking the core he is expected to join or lack of one and wanting to wait and see while going back to NCAA.

For the Flyers not appreciating the risk that could come with and acting fast before he potentially devalues himself after a top scoring U20 performance plus teams not wanting to offer much and another year and a half of waiting to even get answers or a conclusion. Sometimes you have to just take the value offered and move on from a tenuous situation to a more certain one

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
The Ducks have been the 6th worst Franchise in the NHL in the past 7 years. I didn't realize "recent" was 20 years. But yeah, good job getting internet likes by spazzing out on facts lmao
Spazzing out? By listing your teams futility?

Why do you think the Oilers are good in the regular season right now? How do you think that happened exactly?

Reactions: Voight

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
:huh:

Unless you go the NCAA route you are kind of stuck until your mid 20s. You become a UFA at age 27 or after 7 accrued seasons, so if you start at 18 the absolute earliest you can be a UFA is 25.

It's not "as bad" as the MLB because there's nos service time clock or manipulation, but you're still "stuck" with your team for a bit.

Any player can become a UFA after 4 years if they don't sign with the team that drafted them not just NCAA prospects. A player that plays in the OHL can refuse to sign with the team that drafted him and re-enter the draft after 2 years, then if they don't like the team that re-drafted them they can refuse to sign with them and become UFA 2 years later. So the 4 year timeline is the same for NCAA and non-NCAA prospects, it's just not worth the while for prospects to hit UFA in this manner as going this route would cost you significant development, money, NHL org experience, not to mention the risk of an injury.

Even with NCAA, other than this guy most players who hit UFA via this route are later round picks and longer term projects who are further behind in development who wouldn't have even been offered a contract until their 3rd or 4th college year and at that point it is much less of a risk for them to wait a few months to hit FA.

The reason we see more NCAA players take this route is mostly due to these lower round "project" type players. If the player played in the CHL, the NHL team has to make a decision on whether they want to sign him after 2 years max, this culls out all the lower end late blooming project types as they are out of the org after 2 years. With NCAA the team doesn't have to offer a contract until 4 years post draft, that's why you see many players who the team didn't think were good enough to offer an ELC after 1 or 2 post-draft seasons who go off in their junior or senior year at which point they are close enough to UFA that it might be worth it for them to go for it.

Reactions: Voight

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Spazzing out? By listing your teams futility?

Why do you think the Oilers are good in the regular season right now? How do you think that happened exactly?
the oilers drafted 1st overall 3 years in a row but still had to get rewarded a 4th #1 pick and the greatest player of our generation to even sniff the playoffs. and what do they have to show for that? a few early round exists and a sweep in the conference finals. the ducks have more wins in the WCF in the last 7 years than the oilers do

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
As a Flyers fan, I don't know whether to like this trade or hate this trade. From reading the Ducks board, it seemed unanimous to a man that Drysdale is not only a great teammate, but is a really good player. Seems the Flyers got at least fair value here.

Limited sample size due to injury but everything points to him being really good. But they're so deep on D prospects, and so thin on scoring wingers, they simultaneously needed to and could do something. It wouldn't surprise me if they offered up one of their young D when they were trying to get Debrincat.

Even if none of this drama is true and it's a straight up hockey trade I think it's pretty justifiable from both sides.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Even this take is flawed. The Flyers cleaned house because of the very stuff you mention. How is that not acknowledging the problems with their "own methods and philosophy". I'm no encyclopedia Brown, but if that doesn't indicate the Flyers are well aware of their issues, then I don't know what does.
They kept the coach and his tremendous influence, promoted the assistant GM, and hired the teams color broadcaster as president. All the "advisors" are still involved. How is that cleaning house?

The Flyers issues have spanned multiple GMs, coaches, and presidents. Why? Bc they hire likeminded people who share the same core philosophies im talking about.

Reactions: BillDineen

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gauthier acting like he’s the best prospect since McDavid. Another year in college only helps his development

That's the part I don't get. It has only benefited him. He wasn't well-rounded enough for the NHL and the Flyers still have some contracts to move on from before making room for him so that he gets adequate ice time to develop. Going back he is able to play on a great team and has been afforded more time at Center, which makes that an option at the NHL level.

It's just all very childish. Cutter received some bad guidance from his camp.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
Gauthier acting like he’s the best prospect since McDavid. Another year in college only helps his development
based on how many americans looked better then him at the world juinors he def does not look like a 5th overall dp flyers might be saving themselves with this one lol

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
So the Flyers were too cheap/incompetent to sign Gauthier even though he wanted to sign with them at the end of last season and now they're trying to sic their fans on Gauthier? What an embarrassing organization.
That isnt at all what Friedman said - is it so hard to listen to a three minute clip, or do you just enjoy making up false premises?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

So, uh. Philly didn't want any overage for this season? This seems very boring given all the smoke.

and a bad management of assets if they truly valued him as a 5th overall pick. You sign him, burn the ELC year with the bonuses and deal with the overage. Pretty much every high-end NCAA top 5 pick generally gets this deal after their freshman year.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

So, uh. Philly didn't want any overage for this season? This seems very boring given all the smoke.

Hilarious cause they had no problems handing Kevin Hayes 49 million dollars (or Andrew MacDonald 25 million) but freaked out when it came to overages on their top prospects contract?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Boring and shameful. This is a team that are paying millions to Hayes and DeAngelo to play for other teams.
Why pretend to be a Flyers fan if you willingly ignore the actual information just to fit your narrative of how awful the Flyers are?

Either stop watching them or shut up lmfao - holy shit youre annoying

the Flyers werent willing to go over the cap to sign Gauthier BEFORE THRE SEASON, so they said to wait until camp - poor baby Gauthier was offended and took his ball home

I see now why a lot of teens grow up like pieces of shit; the enabling in todays world is mind-numbing

and a bad management of assets if they truly valued him as a 5th overall pick. You sign him, burn the ELC year with the bonuses and deal with the overage. Pretty much every high-end NCAA top 5 pick generally gets this deal after their freshman year.
They could have agreed to burn a year without overages, in training camp; this isnt that difficult...

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
A lot of the same Flyer fans who want him strung up now, were creaming themselves over Gauthier leading the tournament in scoring (jointly).
i guess but still most unimpressive joint leading scorer in world juinors memory i can think of lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad