Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lindros didn’t do it to the Flyers either. He did it to Quebec.
Yes he did do it to the Flyers, he forced his way out. He did in Quebec as well but I’m not speaking of any other team there.

Reactions: Voight

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
OTOH if it's true the Flyers had already decided they were moving on as far back as the draft and were trying to trade him then, what's the point in a meeting? You already know you're not wanted.

And they don't seem to have a problem with Michkov refusing to meet with certain other teams before the draft, so I doubt it's a matter of principle for them.
Slowly read the breakdown of events. Then take time to fully process. Then post

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's just basic human psychology. Teams aren't a "they" to most fans, they're a "we." Being rejected by a player is, on some subrational level, a personal rejection, and humans are not, by and large, equipped to handle rejection dispassionately.
Agree. My initial post on this discussion commented on how I get that aspect of it. I still find it interesting.
Broadly, I don't have a problem with Gauthier doing most of what he did. He's well within his rights to want to start his career early, given the limited time frame to earn money in the sport, and if he believed he had a deal in place that didn't happen, he has every right to be upset about that. However, it's not like he was an employee of the Flyers yet; until he signed that first contract, he was, for better or worse, still in the interview process, and ghosting a potential employer is immature and rude, no matter what. The mature move would have been to meet with the team, politely but firmly repeat that you don't intend to sign, and go about your business. If he had done that, then there would have been nothing to object to on either side.

As for the trade itself, we'll see how it works out, but Gauthier isn't the Flyers' problem anymore, so I'll let the Anaheim fans worry about him.
Agree

Reactions: hullsy47

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The obvious thing that makes sense here is that they (Gauthier and his agent) believed (and possibly had an understanding with Philly) he'd play his Freshman year at BC, then sign and get the required 10 games to burn his ELC. Philly didn't offer him that, he felt wronged, told them he wanted out. It matches the timeline, since he apparently told them after the World Championships. Whereas say Logan Cooley never could have possibly played enough games to burn his ELC last year, so he ended up signing in the summer.

That seems far more likely than it being Torts or Kevin Hayes related.

If so then imo that is a real weak reason for wanting out.

• Haha
Reactions: OKR

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Yes he did do it to the Flyers, he forced his way out. He did in Quebec as well but I’m not speaking of any other team there.
Ok my apologies. Didn’t know he forced his way out of Philly after.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Any good scouting reports on CG?
You'll get conflicting reports. A lot of things you can't teach like size and speed and shot to a lesser degree (since it can be taught somewhat) get people drooling, but other things like assertiveness, physicality, and IQ will leave you wanting. He lives on the perimeter with lots of outside and bad angle shots, which is odd for a big fast guy like him. His success will be predicated on fixing that. I thought torts was actually perfect for that, ironic enough.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Months before this trade happened I was worried Drysdale would end up becoming Anaheim's Nolan Patrick. Drysdale just needs to stay healthy and if he does I see Cam Fowler upside except he's a lot more physical than Fowler and is willing to land a few hits but he's a tad small at 5'11 and being more physical than Fowler increases his chances of getting injured.
He's like Fowler with his skating and was compared to Fowler when he was drafted.
Hopefully he's not Philly's Ryan Ellis pt 2

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ok my apologies. Didn’t know he forced his way out of Philly after.
Yeah, the breakdown of Lindros (and his parents') relationship with Clarke was one of the uglier star/management divorces in this city, as much for how long it took as for how acrimonious it got.

(To be clear, in retrospect, 88 was largely in the right throughout; it was Clarke who was the shithead, mostly because he had a "rub some dirt on it" old school mentality about health, and the Flyers' medical staff was the stuff of nightmares.)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

So did Anaheim speak to him through a back channel and find out that he would be willing to play there?

I've been a big Gauthier fan ever since his draft year, but I gotta say if the reports of him refusing to play in Philly are true, I've lost a lot of respect for him. This always screams mental/ego issues to me. As much as I dislike the Flyers good on them for getting really good value back and not have to see him ride out his rights in NCAA like we've seen some others do.

At least he made it clear early on. Adam Fox never informed the Flames he wouldn't sign there, didn't really tell Carolina until it was too late.

Reactions: ninetyeight

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Agree. My initial post on this discussion commented on how I get that aspect of it. I still find it interesting.

Agree
he knows anaheim will need to reach the cap floor in 3 years lol .he ll get way more in year 4 there than in philly
cap will be 10 millon more by then
it ll make brady tckachuk and shutzle look like bargains

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
he knows anaheim will need to reach the cap floor in 3 years lol .he ll get way more in year 4 there than in philly
cap will be 10 millon more by then
it ll make brady tckachuk and shutzle look like bargains
I wouldn’t count on Anaheim needing to reach the floor in 3 years. If you took one look at the situation or used any common sense you’d know this.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Apparently twitter is saying that Flyers journalists are saying he was really good friends with Kevin Hayes. Wild if Hayes salted the earth for the Flyers with this guy.

This would be ironic seeing as the Flyers overpaid Hayes with a$49million dollar contract. He should be grateful lol.

Also, if it was me, I would've asked around about Philly. I get he and Hayes are friends, but you shouldn't make any preconceived notions based on one persons experience.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
I can't tell if you're serious or not? With this line of thinking there's no league, there's no major sports period. There's 2 or 3 teams winning it all every year, there's no parity

Works for european pro sports leagues (football, ice hockey etc.), there are no drafts. Every NHL-team should have their own junior organizations etc. and develop players there.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I doubt it has to do with Philadelphia being good enough, and more likely has to do with a breakdown of a relationship with the team likely over him feeling misled on his timeline. It's most likely he felt they had an agreement to burn his ELC at the end of last year, then in their management turnover that fell through the cracks or new management didn't want to burn his ELC.

Sure, could very well be but those are working relationship items you can generally resolve without having to go nuclear on the relationship with the team. But whatever, it’s fine.

_habsfan9

Nov 26, 2005
Not a CBA genius at all maybe someone can tell me. What is the difference between holdings rights of an unsigned player in the NCAA vs the Canadian hockey league? Is it the same? Is it less?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Interesting development and trade.

Drysdale has a fairly big risk factor given how things have gone over the last couple years but a right shot top pairing level D is a better asset than a winger who doesn't appear to be a big play driver.

Cutter looks to be a good fit with what the Ducks are building. Carlsson McTavish down the middle with Terry Zegras Gauthier

Obviously will need time to determine where these young players get to but this appears to be a win win given the Flyers young talent on the wings and the Ducks young D talent balancing both prospect pools.

2nd rounder is nice too.... if its the Ducks pick should be 35-45

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Works for european pro sports leagues (football, ice hockey etc.), there are no drafts. Every NHL-team should have their own junior organizations etc. and develop players there.

They won't ever do that. The draft, trades and trade deadline are huge parts of marketing.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I believe he said being drafted by the Flyers "wouldn't roll over well" with him being a Pens fan in jest, but then that thought swirled in his Kelso brain and he got mad
No he was talking about Crosby being his favorite player not going over well.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
When I heard the Flyers traded Gauthier, I thought it was for Patrik Hersley and Ned Lukacevic.

Reactions: GKJ

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I disagree with "But the comments immediately after the trade make them look petty" because the Flyers kept Gauthier and his agents' comments quiet. Both Gauthier or his agent kept avoiding the Flyers management when they decided that they wouldn't be signing in Philly but wouldn't give a reason why. So it looks worse on Gauthier and his agent. Personally I don't give a shit if a college player doesn't want to play for the Flyers but if you don't have any intention in signing with a team who is thinking of drafting you then you should let them know before they waste a top 5 pick on you. The Flyers could have used that high pick on another player. It's starting to look like that Gauthier was upset that the Flyers weren't going to sign him to ELC contract and burn one of those years so he could sign the second contract like other college players do. As a Ducks fan, you better hope that he ends up signing with them otherwise it's a bad trade for your team. Will see if the Ducks cave to his demands.
I doubt the ducks make this trade without some assurances. Remember this trade took months to work out according to briere

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Interesting development and trade.

Drysdale has a fairly big risk factor given how things have gone over the last couple years but a right shot top pairing level D is a better asset than a winger who doesn't appear to be a big play driver.

Cutter looks to be a good fit with what the Ducks are building. Carlsson McTavish down the middle with Terry Zegras Gauthier

Obviously will need time to determine where these young players get to but this appears to be a win win given the Flyers young talent on the wings and the Ducks young D talent balancing both prospect pools.

2nd rounder is nice too.... if its the Ducks pick should be 35-45
I think the 2nd gives Philly the advantage in terms of value for the trade.

But I think cutter is the type of guy we wanted/needed…. And I think with the way the season turned out…. Pv prob knew were getting Dickinson, levshunov, silayev or whoever we deem best available at our pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad