Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It's still a bit of a bitch move. Players have known since they were 13 years old that they might get drafted by some team even though they might prefer another. If that breaks you, then maybe you're in the wrong profession.

Gen Z is f***ing soft and coddled. Maybe this is why none of the newer superstars have won anything in the playoffs. They feel too entitled to actually put everything on the line for their team and their fans.
Yeah, nothing like the older generation of Eric lindros, Scott Stevens, Paul Coffey, pavel bure, ect, who would never demand trades or make specific stipulations on who they were willing to play for. Bums.

Player rights are good things. Players using what (little) leverage they have to dictate where they work is a good thing. As ducks fans we have been on both sides in just the last calendar year; it's a business and life decision that isn't any of our business. Hope it works out for both.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Yeah, nothing like the older generation of Eric lindros, Scott Stevens, Paul Coffey, pavel bure, ect, who would never demand trades or make specific stipulations on who they were willing to play for. Bums.
It's different!!! They had to walk uphill both ways to school barefoot in the snow.

The hypocrisy here with this is blinding.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Some sports even build their appeal specifically around players doing this.

Reactions: Static

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Its okay when players wont sign with the Quebecs and Anaheims of the world, but when they dont sign with a "historic" franchise then he is an asshole.

Its especially hypocritical when its Philly fans of all people.
Really that's what you think that fans think its okay when players don't sign with Quebec and Anaheim. I'm a long-time Flyers fan and I really don't give a shit that a 19 year old college player doesn't want to sign with the Flyers. It sucks that the Flyers wasted a 5th overall pick on him when they could have taken another player who wanted to play for them but that's what happens when you draft young players who think highly of themselves. From all of the stories out there, Gauthier and his agent probably had a deal with dumbass Fletcher that Fletcher would sign Gauthier to ELC contract after his college season and burn a year like a lot of other teams do. But when Briere took over things changed and that deal was probably not on the table for Gauthier anymore. So Briere did Gauthier a favour by trading him now instead of making him go back to college to play. He comes across as an entitled spoiled prospect who didn't get his way so he doesn't show up to rookie camp because he was tired of playing hockey. That's why he looks like an asshole not because he wouldn't sign with a historic franchise. And if he was a draft pick of Anaheim or any other team that wasn't the Flyers I would say the same thing. We'll see if he turns out to be the great prospect he thinks is and what other people have told him he will be.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Some sports even build their appeal specifically around players doing this.
The NBA, specifically. This trade has been great for for surfacing NHL talk in the sports world. It's not every day (week? Month?) that ESPN has an NHL headline on its front page.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Pretty heavily? Drysdale has only played 1 full season where he wasn't hurt. He has played 123 games in 4 seasons. Have you forgotten about Nolan Patrick already? The Flyers could easily lose this trade but only time will tell.

It's amazing that one real rough year injury wise is enough to get you labeled as injury prone. He was fully healthy before the 2022-2023 season. The missed games prior to the 2022 season was due to the COVID work stoppages.

It's far too soon to say if he will have durability issues going forward.

Reactions: lwvs84

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well, we could go back to the old days where you had to wait til your early 30s to hit UFA and have any rights as a player.
Ok, so we agree it was REALLY bad back then. Still doesn't change that the owners hold more cards when it comes to young players / prospects. "It isn't as bad as it was years ago" isn't that relevant.
And an ELC that is nearly a million dollars per season isn't all that limited.
Maybe not for the average Joe, but it does limit a players true market value. McDavid, Makar, Bedard, etc...would all get a lot more money on their ELC if not for these limits. That can't be denied.

Even so, my point remains. Nobody bats an eye when a team makes a business decision and yet when a player uses some of the limited leverage they might have to do something that they feel is in their best interest, he's viewed in a derogatory manner. We see it all the time, whether it's situation like Fox, Vesey, Gauthier, Lindros, etc.. whether it's a player demanding a trade (Eichel, St. Louis, etc..), whether it's a player refusing to waive a NTC or NMC.

To be clear, I don't see this as a huge problem. A few players do it over time and not regularly. I don't mind the current CBA and don't want a "free for all", just stating that when a player does something within the confines of the CBA that he feels is in his best interest, he often gets viewed negatively for it where teams don't.

Reactions: WPGDEVILS

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The NBA, specifically. This trade has been great for for surfacing NHL talk in the sports world. It's not every day (week? Month?) that ESPN has an NHL headline on its front page.
Yes, that’s what I was talking about lol.

Reactions: Static

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Don't want this charmin soft guy on the team anyway. Floats away from the puck, unassertive, terrible angle and perimeter shots, doesn't attack the net. Was never going to play center. I'm cool with it, but he and his parents should be embarrassed by his immaturity.
Hope you enjoy the physical, hard hitting grit of Drysdale.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
You can spin it any way you want since he is your shiny new problem to deal with, but it was classless on his part and on his camps part, which (much like a young Lindros) includes his helicopter dad Sean Gauthier.

Well he's probably still getting more Father of the Year votes than Briere.

Anyway even if it's all true (which we don't know) would it not have been more professional on the Flyers part to just say they saw an opportunity to get a good young damn and jumped on it? Trashing the kid just seems like cover against any criticism of it from a hockey perspective.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Months before this trade happened I was worried Drysdale would end up becoming Anaheim's Nolan Patrick. Drysdale just needs to stay healthy and if he does I see Cam Fowler upside except he's a lot more physical than Fowler and is willing to land a few hits but he's a tad small at 5'11 and being more physical than Fowler increases his chances of getting injured.
He's like Fowler with his skating and was compared to Fowler when he was drafted.
He was a better prospect than Fowler at the time of the draft. I like his upside more personally, but the injuries have set him back I see them as very good comparable. RHD though are extremely valuable, there really arent very many good ones. Probably less than 40 that are legit top 4 d men.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
He was a better prospect than Fowler at the time of the draft. I like his upside more personally, but the injuries have set him back I see them as very good comparable. RHD though are extremely valuable, there really arent very many good ones. Probably less than 40 that are legit top 4 d men.
Fowler was projected to be a top-3 pick in 2010.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Gauthier doesnt impress me. He has a nice release but i dont think he thinks the game well.

Having said that, I think still he can score at least 15 goals a year in his sleep.

Flyers took strays and got clowned during this whole situation.

Just read somewhere that Cutter doesnt like Torts.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Players refusing to sign with their draft teams is unhealthy for the sport (though rare)

This isnt the MLB where theyre stuck till age 26; either grow up and nut up or you should be forced to sit out an arbitrarily long time for being a jerkoff about it and not speaking up at the draft

Just my two cents though and itll never happen with player-empowerment happening throughout the sports world

:huh:

Unless you go the NCAA route you are kind of stuck until your mid 20s. You become a UFA at age 27 or after 7 accrued seasons, so if you start at 18 the absolute earliest you can be a UFA is 25.

It's not "as bad" as the MLB because there's nos service time clock or manipulation, but you're still "stuck" with your team for a bit.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I believe he said being drafted by the Flyers "wouldn't roll over well" with him being a Pens fan in jest, but then that thought swirled in his Kelso brain and he got mad

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Gauthier doesnt impress me. He has a nice release but i dont think he thinks the game well.

Having said that, I think still he can score at least 15 goals a year in his sleep.

Flyers took strays and got clowned during this whole situation.

Just read somewhere that Cutter doesnt like Torts.

Read between the lines. Who was also traded this offseason who doesn’t like Torts?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What I don’t understand is why?

What is so bad about Philadelphia or the Flyers? Serious question. As an outsider, I don’t get it.

I could understand it if he didn’t want to be coached by Torts or just DGAF and was going to tell the NHL community he’s picking his team.

Philly sports fans have one of the worst reps across sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad