Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
cutter sounds like a prick.. he could of atleast been mature enough to make it easy to meet with them at the world juinors.. very unprofessional

OTOH if it's true the Flyers had already decided they were moving on as far back as the draft and were trying to trade him then, what's the point in a meeting? You already know you're not wanted.

And they don't seem to have a problem with Michkov refusing to meet with certain other teams before the draft, so I doubt it's a matter of principle for them.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I find it amusing that when a team trades a player they drafted before signing him, or even after signing him but before he makes the jump to the NHL, or when a team drafts a player and doesn't offer him an ELC, "It's just business". But when a player chooses to use what little leverage they have to not sign with a team "He's a prick!"

I get it. We are fans that get upset when a player spurns our favorite team, but with the current CBA, the owners hold a lot more of the cards than the young players.

I don't know this kid so maybe he is a prick, but until/unless I know his reasons, I'm not going to assume so.

I don't know about that. Players today have way more options now than in the past.

And I really hope the reason wasn't the lack of the burn year to get his bag a year early. It's supposed to be about the ring, not the bag.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Not saying Cutter isnt in the wrong here or that Hayes doesnt have influence... just pointing out that the Flyers refuse to ever question their methods or philosophy despite their lack of results the last decade and not winning a cup in 50 years. Them using Hayes as a scape goat rather than trying to figure out where they failed is problematic.

If Hayes influenced Gauthier, it doesnt mean that there were not legit issues with the Flyers that he pointed out to him.

If youre a young skilled player and look at how this team has been run and what their philosophy is with players like you... there are many red flags. As a Flyers fan, I would hope they would use this as a reason to reflect on that and make changes.... not just brush it off as Gauthier is a jerk and Hayes is the devil.
Even this take is flawed. The Flyers cleaned house because of the very stuff you mention. How is that not acknowledging the problems with their "own methods and philosophy". I'm no encyclopedia Brown, but if that doesn't indicate the Flyers are well aware of their issues, then I don't know what does.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't know about that. Players today have way more options now than in the past.
Maybe so, but young players/prospects don't have a ton of options. His only options were:
1) sign with the flyers
2) Wait 4 years in NCAA, risking injury and losing a couple years of earnings.
3) Request a trade

They are also limited on how much they can get paid on their ELC and once signed, a team holds their rights for many years (ELC + RFA).

Established players have more options, but that's because established players are the ones that negotiate the CBA. The teams still hold more of the cards for draftees/young players.

My point though is that when teams make a move that's in the best interest of the team and not the player, fans view it as "just business", but when a player does, it's viewed as if he is selfish, arrogant, a prick, a head case, not serious about winning, etc...

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Keith Jones summed it up perfectly, If Gauthier doesn't want to be a Flyer, he won't be a Flyer.
I'm glad that Danny Briere acted quickly on this and moved Gauthier for a high-end defensive prospect in Drysdale.
Gauthier should expect one thing in his future career in the NHL, when he visits Wells Fargo Centre he will definitely get a "Philly welcome", he should wear earplugs.
Drysdale will be working with the Phantoms with Ian Lapperiere as his head coach, and that's a great thing. Lappy has been doing a good job as the Phantoms HC.
Drysdale will be a very welcome player to the Flyers fans. He's a physical Defenseman with good skating abilities and he's not bad on the offensive side either.
He just has to get healthy in his rehab, I wish him all the best of luck.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Keith Jones summed it up perfectly, If Gauthier doesn't want to be a Flyer, he won't be a Flyer.
I'm glad that Danny Briere acted quickly on this and moved Gauthier for a high-end defensive prospect in Drysdale.
Gauthier should expect one thing in his future career in the NHL, when he visits Wells Fargo Centre he will definitely get a "Philly welcome", he should wear earplugs.
Drysdale will be working with the Phantoms with Ian Lapperiere as his head coach, and that's a great thing. Lappy has been doing a good job as the Phantoms HC.
Drysdale will be a very welcome player to the Flyers fans. He's a physical Defenseman with good skating abilities and he's not bad on the offensive side either.

Drysdale is in his 4th NHL season, so he's not a prospect nor should he ever be expected to see the AHL again beyond a conditioning stint (would literally have to clear waivers as he's no longer on an ELC). He's been back healthy and playing for the Ducks for the last 8 games (since Dec 21st) so not currently rehabbing anything. Also I really wouldn't refer to him as physical at all. He's an explosively mobile game manager who could be more assertive offensively.

Last edited:

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My point though is that when teams make a move that's in the best interest of the team and not the player, fans view it as "just business", but when a player does, it's viewed as if he is selfish, arrogant, a prick, a head case, not serious about winning, etc...
That's just basic human psychology. Teams aren't a "they" to most fans, they're a "we." Being rejected by a player is, on some subrational level, a personal rejection, and humans are not, by and large, equipped to handle rejection dispassionately.

Broadly, I don't have a problem with Gauthier doing most of what he did. He's well within his rights to want to start his career early, given the limited time frame to earn money in the sport, and if he believed he had a deal in place that didn't happen, he has every right to be upset about that. However, it's not like he was an employee of the Flyers yet; until he signed that first contract, he was, for better or worse, still in the interview process, and ghosting a potential employer is immature and rude, no matter what. The mature move would have been to meet with the team, politely but firmly repeat that you don't intend to sign, and go about your business. If he had done that, then there would have been nothing to object to on either side.

As for the trade itself, we'll see how it works out, but Gauthier isn't the Flyers' problem anymore, so I'll let the Anaheim fans worry about him.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Its okay when players wont sign with the Quebecs and Anaheims of the world, but when they dont sign with a "historic" franchise then he is an asshole.

Its especially hypocritical when its Philly fans of all people.

The difference is that Lindros never "ghosted" the Nordiques, he made his intentions clear from day 1 that he would not play for them. Cutter and his agent were slimy and got drafted by Philly after the pre-draft interviews and then later came out to say he doesn't want to play in Philly and avoided management when they tried contacting him.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Leave it to HFBoards to downplay the Ducks prospect pool again lol. The Ducks have an embarrassment of riches on the back end and acquired a top end goal scoring talent to add up front. its a tough pill to swallow but balances the pool out much better.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
The difference is that Lindros never "ghosted" the Nordiques, he made his intentions clear from day 1 that he would not play for them. Cutter and his agent were slimy and got drafted by Philly after the pre-draft interviews and then later came out to say he doesn't want to play in Philly and avoided management when they tried contacting him.
He didn't have his advisors present. He doesn't owe Philly anything. If Philly had traded him without talking to him first it would be "just business".

He could have lied and said he intended to sign then go back on it like Schultz did to the Ducks.

Reactions: uncleben

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Maybe so, but young players/prospects don't have a ton of options. His only options were:
1) sign with the flyers
2) Wait 4 years in NCAA, risking injury and losing a couple years of earnings.
3) Request a trade

They are also limited on how much they can get paid on their ELC and once signed, a team holds their rights for many years (ELC + RFA).

Established players have more options, but that's because established players are the ones that negotiate the CBA. The teams still hold more of the cards for draftees/young players.

Well, we could go back to the old days where you had to wait til your early 30s to hit UFA and have any rights as a player. And an ELC that is nearly a million dollars per season isn't all that limited.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Lmfao. Nothing could be further from the truth. He has been an abject failure as Phantoms HC. It also sounds like you know nothing about Drysdale. He's more of an offensive defensemen than physical one.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
He didn't have his advisors present. He doesn't owe Philly anything. If Philly had traded him without talking to him first it would be "just business".

He could have lied and said he intended to sign then go back on it like Schultz did to the Ducks.

Where did I say he "owed Philly", I just stated his agent and him were shady and not very professional which is the general consensus amongst the hockey world.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

You can spin it any way you want since he is your shiny new problem to deal with, but it was classless on his part and on his camps part, which (much like a young Lindros) includes his helicopter dad Sean Gauthier.

Reactions: Amorgus

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
And I really hope the reason wasn't the lack of the burn year to get his bag a year early. It's supposed to be about the ring, not the bag.

As opposed to pro sports franchises who prioritize winning over being profitable?

Teams try to cost-control all the time. It can't be "it's just business" and "it's all about the ring" at the same time. Just accept that it's a mix of both for everyone but the fans and it all makes more sense.

Reactions: Peat

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Months before this trade happened I was worried Drysdale would end up becoming Anaheim's Nolan Patrick. Drysdale just needs to stay healthy and if he does I see Cam Fowler upside except he's a lot more physical than Fowler and is willing to land a few hits but he's a tad small at 5'11 and being more physical than Fowler increases his chances of getting injured.
He's like Fowler with his skating and was compared to Fowler when he was drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad