Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
And, I'm saying whatever you were told sounds very suspect. Because to prove tampering, you'd have to prove Hayes was negotiating as a conduit to another NHL team. An NHL player telling a prospect on another team that they hated the organization, city or whatever else does not constitute tampering.

This seems way more like something that happened when the Flyers wouldn't burn his ELC last year by playing him in 10 games while they were out of a playoff spot and his NCAA season was already over.
I agree, I had the same thoughts. It's still encouraging to see such a fiery ownership group after the limp-wristed ones we previously had.

He grew up a Penguins fan.

I'm not saying that's it but I wouldn't play for the Devils.
That's not a good reason. Professionals don't think like that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He grew up a Penguins fan.

I'm not saying that's it but I wouldn't play for the Devils.
Kadri grew up a Habs fan, and then used his NTC to not leave Toronto.

This seems pretty obviously a dispute about burning an ELC year/negoiation he had at the end of his NCAA season with Philly. It's not even like he's from Pitt, he grew up in the Detroit area. I can't think of one example of a kid refusing to sign an ELC because "he didn't like the team growing up," Usually, it's related to the team being so unstable that they don't want to go there (see Lindros-QC, Eli Manning-Chargers, Elway-Baltimore Colts), which seems unlikely here or there was a huge breakdown over contract negotiations (which seems likely here).

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
How is there a possible tampering charge when you're talking about a player who isn't under contract?
Not to get involved with the rest of the conversation, but teams definitely are not allowed to recruit each other's drafted prospects whether they are signed or not - unless given permission from the team that owns the player's rights.

There would be no point in letting teams own the rights to unsigned prospects if other teams could pursue them with no repercussions.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Philly fans I don’t have a bad word to say about Drysdale.

Closest thing to bad would be his injury history not giving us more data on him.

I think Mantha is a good comparison. Physically looks great, but isn't assertive, floats off the puck, questionable IQ, prefers taking perimeter and bad angle shots.

Well then maybe all this "he won't talk to the Flyers" stuff is a BS cover story, and the truth is they decided he was a bust. So better to trash his character after he fact, than admit they made a bad pick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just kinda realized that this is the kind of trade this board dreams of. A top prospect at max value being traded for real NHL talent-plus. Spent a lot of time here telling folks how these trades simply don’t happen, of course a unique situation forced it.

I’ve always been of the opinion that the the Flyers to truly move forward, everyone that was here had to go. Everyone. Even the good ones, and even the prospects. I wasn’t a fan of the pick, but I trusted Cutter even less because we drafted him. I applaud him for recognizing this was not a good situation for him, his reasons being what they are. The Flyers quite frankly don’t deserve to have all their problems washed away simply because they nailed people to the cross. The Flyers for years were doing this wrong, objectively. Whether it’s their operations, medical, engagement, or whatever. Notice was taken, and this was a good reminder, right or wrong to Cutter, that they’ve not paid off all of their sins. If they’re going to continue to do that by refusing to rebuild, then I guess the energy in universe is holding them accountable. Now consider what happens if Michkov doesn’t work.

I’m not trying to kick at the Coyotes here, but there were obvious questions about their situation with Cooley and subsequent rumors and they managed to get their guy signed, but a high profile, big market team like the Flyers cannot.

So far, including this trade, the Flyers have only moved out guys who did not want to be here. They’ve yet to move out someone who does. Don’t have a problem with Flyers fans being upset with Cutter about it though. This is really the first time since Lindros to out and out tell the team to go f*** themselves. No fanbase should be expected take kindly to that. I will not fault him for exercising his leverage, the irony is not lost on me that someone did it specifically against the Flyers. That said, you cannot have players who do not want to be here, and the Flyers have done nothing but publicly face their organization as one having players who do.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not to get involved with the rest of the conversation, but teams definitely are not allowed to recruit each other's drafted prospects whether they are signed or not - unless given permission from the team that owns the player's rights.

There would be no point in letting teams own the rights to unsigned prospects if other teams could pursue them with no repercussions.
Yeah, you can't negoiate with people on NHL teams reserve lists. But, what is being described doesn't qualify as tampering. Any NHL player can tell any prospect that they hate their team, coach, city, etc. Unless they are a conduit for another NHL team by giving them specific terms and telling them to go to that specific team, that isn't tampering. And, if the Flyers wanted to try to call that tampering and go after Kevin Hayes they are likely laughed out of the arbitration meeting, and just really pissed off the NHLPA, hence why it sounds highly improbable this is actually a serious discussion.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Just kinda realized that this is the kind of trade this board dreams of. A top prospect at max value being traded for real NHL talent-plus. Spent a lot of time here telling folks how these trades simply don’t happen, of course a unique situation forced it.

I’ve always been of the opinion that the the Flyers to truly move forward, everyone that was here had to go. Everyone. Even the good ones, and even the prospects. I wasn’t a fan of the pick, but I trusted Cutter even less because we drafted him. I applaud him for recognizing this was not a good situation for him, his reasons being what they are. The Flyers quite frankly don’t deserve to have all their problems washed away simply because they nailed people to the cross. The Flyers for years were doing this wrong, objectively. Whether it’s their operations, medical, engagement, or whatever. Notice was taken, and this was a good reminder, right or wrong to Cutter, that they’ve not paid off all of their sins. If they’re going to continue to do that by refusing to rebuild, then I guess the energy in universe is holding them accountable. Now consider what happens if Michkov doesn’t work.

I’m not trying to kick at the Coyotes here, but there were obvious questions about their situation with Cooley and subsequent rumors and they managed to get their guy signed, but a high profile, big market team like the Flyers cannot.

So far, including this trade, the Flyers have only moved out guys who did not want to be here. They’ve yet to move out someone who does. Don’t have a problem with Flyers fans being upset with Cutter about it though. This is really the first time since Lindros to out and out tell the team to go f*** themselves. No fanbase should be expected take kindly to that. I will not fault him for exercising his leverage, the irony is not lost on me that someone did it specifically against the Flyers. That said, you cannot have players who do not want to be here, and the Flyers have done nothing but publicly face their organization as one having players who do.

Ducks fans have been on the other side of this with high profile college prospects (ie Schultz), so can definitely relate to the frustration. No fanbase is ever going to take kindly to it, like you said. But at least the Flyers were able to get it dealt with far before they were devoid of leverage, Drysdale should hopefully be a big part of their future.

Reactions: MCB and GKJ

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Thats pathetic on the Flyers if it is true. Them blaming it all on Hayes as a "hunch" rather than reflecting on themselves on why they wouldnt be an attractive spot for a young player to play tells you everything you need to know about their incompetence. These guys just cant imagine why anyone wouldnt wanna play for their beloved and historic organization. Gee idk...look at how awful its been run in the last 5-10 years? They literally gave Deslauries a 4 year contract with a NTC and prefer him to young skilled guys. Maybe shit like that is the issue.

Not saying Cutter is innocent and didnt handle this totally wrong...but the arrogance of the Flyers management is ridiculous. Cant possibly be them...has to be hayes. Give me a break.
Yeah dude i'm sure signing deslauriers is what caused a top prospect to refuse to play for the flyers.

lol

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Yeah dude i'm sure signing deslauriers is what caused a top prospect to refuse to play for the flyers.

lol

I think that was more an example to call out that the Flyers are a backwards organization and there are likely a lot of people in the hockey world who percieve them that way.

Money and reputation don't change the fact that they've been a rudderless shitshow for a long time.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
sounds like Gauthier was scared off by a Torts "charm offensive".

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Not a good look for Gauthier.

Will be a long time before we know who won this trade.

Reactions: Nevins

Bard Marchand

Oct 24, 2023
What I don’t understand is how this didn’t come out in draft interviews. The seeming lack of due diligence that several NHL teams display really blows my mind when taking into account what’s at stake.

Why not just take Jiricek or Mintyukov and move on? This pick is the opposite of the Michkov pick. Good but not amazing player who doesn’t want to be in your city.
Gauthier was a pick from the previous Flyers front office. A Chuck Fletcher decision. Cutter probably gave him a firm handshake at the interview and that would have been enough to convince Chuck.

If anyone thinks that chucklehead ever did any due diligence when it came to making hockey decisions, they are wrong. See also: Ryan Ellis, Keith Yandle, Tony DeAngelo.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree, Ducks have multiple lottery tickets here and you have to think they will hit somewhere. But a number of them won’t get anywhere close to their upside, that’s just the way it works.
maybe the ducks felt as if drysdale wasn’t going to get close to his upside and part of the reason they were willing to move on from him.

I think cutter is a guy PV really wanted on the roster to build around. I have a feeling PV also really likes a dmen at the 2024 draft… and was willing to move on from a guy he didn’t draft and likely didn’t see as a fixture on the defense

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad