Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Just kinda realized that this is the kind of trade this board dreams of. A top prospect at max value being traded for real NHL talent-plus. Spent a lot of time here telling folks how these trades simply don’t happen, of course a unique situation forced it.

I’ve always been of the opinion that the the Flyers to truly move forward, everyone that was here had to go. Everyone. Even the good ones, and even the prospects. I wasn’t a fan of the pick, but I trusted Cutter even less because we drafted him. I applaud him for recognizing this was not a good situation for him, his reasons being what they are. The Flyers quite frankly don’t deserve to have all their problems washed away simply because they nailed people to the cross. The Flyers for years were doing this wrong, objectively. Whether it’s their operations, medical, engagement, or whatever. Notice was taken, and this was a good reminder, right or wrong to Cutter, that they’ve not paid off all of their sins. If they’re going to continue to do that by refusing to rebuild, then I guess the energy in universe is holding them accountable. Now consider what happens if Michkov doesn’t work.

I’m not trying to kick at the Coyotes here, but there were obvious questions about their situation with Cooley and subsequent rumors and they managed to get their guy signed, but a high profile, big market team like the Flyers cannot.

So far, including this trade, the Flyers have only moved out guys who did not want to be here. They’ve yet to move out someone who does. Don’t have a problem with Flyers fans being upset with Cutter about it though. This is really the first time since Lindros to out and out tell the team to go f*** themselves. No fanbase should be expected take kindly to that. I will not fault him for exercising his leverage, the irony is not lost on me that someone did it specifically against the Flyers. That said, you cannot have players who do not want to be here, and the Flyers have done nothing but publicly face their organization as one having players who do.
No it’s definitely not. Multiple NCAA players have done this. Adam Fox did it twice. Just be happy he gave you notice. Ducks had to happen to them with Schultz and got nothing in return. Thrun did it to Anaheim just this past summer but like Cutter at least gave us enough notice so we could trade him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
maybe the ducks felt as if drysdale wasn’t going to get close to his upside and part of the reason they were willing to move on from him.

I think cutter is a guy PV really wanted on the roster to build around. I have a feeling PV also really likes a dmen at the 2024 draft… and was willing to move on from a guy he didn’t draft and likely didn’t see as a fixture on the defense

Doesn't have to just be that the Ducks were down on Drysdale so much as a variety of factors leading to his availability. I think a lot of it was just that since drafting JD, the Ducks have added Mintyukov (who is a stud) plus Zellweger and Luneau who have both seen their stock shoot up. It was dealing from a strength to land a player they really like who happened to become available

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Lacombe just got sent down from the team with the 3rd worst record in the league. Pretty sure he's not NHL level

He was recalled today to replace Drysdale on the roster. He really was just sent down because the Ducks had to call up Stalock due to Gibson being sick. Easier to send down Lacombe than someone not exempt from waivers.

Lacombe has spent a fair bit of time playing the right side on the top pairing with Fowler. That has been too much too soon, but he's fine learning at the NHL level. My original point though, is that he's yet another young D in the org who does play on the right side.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As a fan I hate the Flyers but a young prospect refusing to play for that organization just feels so wrong to me. If Philadelphia isn’t good enough, who is?
I doubt it has to do with Philadelphia being good enough, and more likely has to do with a breakdown of a relationship with the team likely over him feeling misled on his timeline. It's most likely he felt they had an agreement to burn his ELC at the end of last year, then in their management turnover that fell through the cracks or new management didn't want to burn his ELC.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
As a fan I hate the Flyers but a young prospect refusing to play for that organization just feels so wrong to me. If Philadelphia isn’t good enough, who is?
yea comes across as one of those players who gonna be a diva you need to cater to his every need. oh well atleast he can enjoy the califorina weather i guess lol

Reactions: FlyguyOX

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If it was actually you or me, of course. Sign me up for that 1000% pay raise.

If I was a 5th overall pick, I would have some destinations I'm not keen on for a variety of reasons.
All fair, I'd not be happy if I was drafted by the Penguins, but as a draft pick, you have a lot less leverage. I probably wouldn't let that be the deciding factor at that stage of my development; as a UFA, I'd absolutely bump teams up and down my interest list on that basis (among many other elements; I'd still play for the Rangers if they were offering double what the Preds were, and those were my two main available options.)

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
If a guy IRL refused to sign somewhere because he was a fan of a rival team growing up, then that team dodged a major bullet because that player clearly has the mind and maturity of a perpetual 15-year-old boy.

There’s no way that’s it.

This would differ from the very real Adam Fox story how?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
This might have been posted earlier so apologize if it has and I also have no comment on the trade or value, etc., but what does concern me a bit is that we are seeing more and more of this "I don't want to play here/there" stuff out of young players and some of these players (seems like it in this case although this is just speculation on my part) are trying to dictate their preferred playing location much before they have earned that "right" through FA.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No it’s definitely not. Multiple NCAA players have done this. Adam Fox did it twice. Just be happy he gave you notice. Ducks had to happen to them with Schultz and got nothing in return. Thrun did it to Anaheim just this past summer but like Cutter at least gave us enough notice so we could trade him.
I don’t recall any of their rights being held by the Flyers.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If it was actually you or me, of course. Sign me up for that 1000% pay raise.

If I was a 5th overall pick, I would have some destinations I'm not keen on for a variety of reasons.
If it were me, and I had worked that hard to be a top athlete in my sport, I wouldn't be picky about which team helps me achieve my dream (from a fandom perspective). The moment they drafted me, I'd stop being a Devils fan and become a Ranger.

I would, however, be picky about playing for teams that I feel don't appreciate or respect my rights as a player, which is what I suspect happened here. If they refused to let me burn off a year of my ELC in exchange for me leaving college early, I would take that as a sign that they intend on using their leverage to exert influence over my career. In which case, I would exercise my rights as a player to regain that career influence.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
While I understand Philly fans don't like being rejected by a college player, the reality is Gauthier and his agent did the team a huge favor by letting the team know early and remaining quiet so that Philly could negotiate a trade. Philly got a haul, particularly when compared to other collged guys who were traded for next to nothing.

Philly management did a really good job here. But the comments immediately after the trade make them look petty.

Things change. Like, for example, a team hiring a notorious jerk like Torts - who often targets young players - would have a real impact on a prospects thinking.

And unlike Philly management which is throwing Gauthier under the bus, Gauthier and his agent have said nothing. They easily could have said something like "we didn't think Philly offered the best development path for Cutter" or "He didn't want to play for Torts because he's a jerk". They also could have leaked the trade demand, thereby gutting the Flyers return.
I disagree with "But the comments immediately after the trade make them look petty" because the Flyers kept Gauthier and his agents' comments quiet. Both Gauthier or his agent kept avoiding the Flyers management when they decided that they wouldn't be signing in Philly but wouldn't give a reason why. So it looks worse on Gauthier and his agent. Personally I don't give a shit if a college player doesn't want to play for the Flyers but if you don't have any intention in signing with a team who is thinking of drafting you then you should let them know before they waste a top 5 pick on you. The Flyers could have used that high pick on another player. It's starting to look like that Gauthier was upset that the Flyers weren't going to sign him to ELC contract and burn one of those years so he could sign the second contract like other college players do. As a Ducks fan, you better hope that he ends up signing with them otherwise it's a bad trade for your team. Will see if the Ducks cave to his demands.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I find it amusing that when a team trades a player they drafted before signing him, or even after signing him but before he makes the jump to the NHL, or when a team drafts a player and doesn't offer him an ELC, "It's just business". But when a player chooses to use what little leverage they have to not sign with a team "He's a prick!"

I get it. We are fans that get upset when a player spurns our favorite team, but with the current CBA, the owners hold a lot more of the cards than the young players.

I don't know this kid so maybe he is a prick, but until/unless I know his reasons, I'm not going to assume so.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I find it amusing that when a team trades a player they drafted before signing him, or even after signing him but before he makes the jump to the NHL, or when a team drafts a player and doesn't offer him an ELC, "It's just business". But when a player chooses to use what little leverage they have to not sign with a team "He's a prick!"

I get it. We are fans that get upset when a player spurns our favorite team, but with the current CBA, the owners hold a lot more of the cards than the young players.

I don't know this kid so maybe he is a prick, but until/unless I know his reasons, I'm not going to assume so.
Its okay when players wont sign with the Quebecs and Anaheims of the world, but when they dont sign with a "historic" franchise then he is an asshole.

Its especially hypocritical when its Philly fans of all people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad