Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Then both he and his agent cant be trusted. You dont just "change your mind" a few months later when an organization invests that heavily in you.
The obvious thing that makes sense here is that they (Gauthier and his agent) believed (and possibly had an understanding with Philly) he'd play his Freshman year at BC, then sign and get the required 10 games to burn his ELC. Philly didn't offer him that, he felt wronged, told them he wanted out. It matches the timeline, since he apparently told them after the World Championships. Whereas say Logan Cooley never could have possibly played enough games to burn his ELC last year, so he ended up signing in the summer.

That seems far more likely than it being Torts or Kevin Hayes related.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Am I the only one trying to wrap my head around how it's all Torts' fault that a kid he barely knows from Adam decided one whole month (Of offseason) into his time in the organization that he didn't want to be there? Gauthier would've barely had any exposure to Torts by this time besides what, maybe one development camp?

Even more mind-numbing how half of Philly wants to see him executed by public hanging considering the Flyers were supposed to be a tank team this year and yet currently sits in a playoff spot at the halfway point...

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Mellowing? Torts forced the Flyers to dump multiple players last off-season for pennies on the dollar after continuously bad-mouthing them to the media. He's benched his leading ES scorer from last season 11 times because he plays a smart game rather than with piss-and-vinegar, and has compared him to a toilet seat. He had the Flyers demote Cam York for a quarter of last season despite him easily being a top 4 defender because York didn't respond to his manipulations the way he wanted him to.

The York thing is the most incredible thing to me. I like my defensemen cool, calm, and collected under pressure. Now, I wish he would have given Torts a poke in the chops.

Reactions: mja

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
The obvious thing that makes sense here is that they (Gauthier and his agent) believed (and possibly had an understanding with Philly) he'd play his Freshman year at BC, then sign and get the required 10 games to burn his ELC. Philly didn't offer him that, he felt wronged, told them he wanted out. It matches the timeline, since he apparently told them after the World Championships. Whereas say Logan Cooley never could have possibly played enough games to burn his ELC last year, so he ended up signing in the summer.

Yeah. Coaches have notoriously short shelf lives so it would be strange to base your decision around that. Probably more likely it was a money thing combined with a team he didn’t like as a fan.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Don't want this charmin soft guy on the team anyway. Floats away from the puck, unassertive, terrible angle and perimeter shots, doesn't attack the net. Was never going to play center. I'm cool with it, but he and his parents should be embarrassed by his immaturity.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Don't want this charmin soft guy on the team anyway. Floats away from the puck, unassertive, terrible angle and perimeter shots, doesn't attack the net. Was never going to play center. I'm cool with it, but he and his parents should be embarrassed by his immaturity.

Yeah you definitely aren't coming across as being "cool with it" lol clearly one of the more upset fans in this thread and even more so in his prospect thread. Be more honest with yourself

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can't tell if you're serious or not? With this line of thinking there's no league, there's no major sports period. There's 2 or 3 teams winning it all every year, there's no parity
This just feels like doom mongering. The vast majority of guys still play for the team that drafted them, even though it's been made pretty apparent that you don't have to.

Saying players should have autonomy is not the same as saying everyone should do this.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Was it just Philly he didn’t want to play for? Would he have signed with any other team even Arizona? Anywhere but Philly (anyone but Torts) kind of situation?

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
It’s impossible at this point to know how good Cutter will be. Some people will say he’s an awesome prospect and some are going to bury him because he wouldn’t play in Philly. All I know is I now have the Boston College schedule on my radar and will be watching games and am looking forward to seeing him join the team I after his season ends.

I didn’t like the trade at first glance. Once I got over losing Drysdale I was ok with it. Now reading more I’m really excited. Be interesting to see how each player develops.

Philly fans I don’t have a bad word to say about Drysdale. Hurts to lose him, hope he reaches his potential for you.

Reactions: Kalv and FlyguyOX

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Just WOW for both team
Drysdale can drive the 1st pp unit and that missing in Philly
Gauthier is a pretty good player.
It will be very good for both team

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's not fair to judge his decision without really knowing his reasons.

If it's Torts, then yeah, that shows an incredible lack of foresight. Coaches don't last that long and it's silly to refuse to play for a coach you've never actually played for.

That's just speculation, though, because Torts is a meme. When he says he doesn't know Cutter from a hole in the wall, I believe him. They've had very little interaction.

We have no idea why he made the decision he did.

• Haha
Reactions: FlyguyOX

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
This is insane

i am surprised that the ducks traded a young RHD. It seems they are going to have a ridiculous collection of LHD and forwards going forward

Luneau, Warren, and Helleson are all young RHD tracking to be NHLers.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

This is the most logical reason.

I generally understand both sides. You have a bit of leverage as an NCAA guy and he used it to get the 10 games he felt he was deserved and burn an ELC year.

Philly could also say that we aren't going to gift ANYONE ice time. Which I would also understand. Where I sort of disagree with that is that their year last year was already toast so burning a year of this guys ELC seems like a no brainer anyway.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Gauthier didn’t want to go to Flyers?
Lol, he tells Briere before being drafted that he wants to play for the Flyers, based on stories out there he said he was a Pens fan, didn't like it when the Flyers told him to go back to play another year in college and was upset about that. Then he decides that he doesn't want to play for the Flyers so best of luck to you but don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. Since he wasn't going to sign with the Flyers then Briere made the best trade he could getting a right handed young defensemen who has already played in the NHL and a 2nd round pick in 2025. So Gauthier was never going to sign he would have waited to be a free agent since he's a college player. Gauthier has put a target on his back with the Flyers and their fans if and when he makes the NHL. We will see who eventually wins the trade down the road.

Reactions: ugiswrong

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
It's not fair to judge his decision without really knowing his reasons.

If it's Torts, then yeah, that shows an incredible lack of foresight. Coaches don't last that long and it's silly to refuse to play for a coach you've never actually played for.

That's just speculation, though, because Torts is a meme. When he says he doesn't know Cutter from a hole in the wall, I believe him. They've had very little interaction.

We have no idea why he made the decision he did.
Is there a good reason?... I can't think of one unless he has a sick family member he wants to be near in Anaheim.

Reactions: acetaminofan

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
THis 100%
If you had a lot of talent but iffy instincts would you trust Torts and the Flyers organization to bring out your skills and become a 1st line player who makes 9 figures in his career.
As recently as April, he was singing praises about Torts on a podcast. So either he’s a liar, or you are completely wrong.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm just telling you what I was told

I think Mantha is a good comparison. Physically looks great, but isn't assertive, floats off the puck, questionable IQ, prefers taking perimeter and bad angle shots.
And, I'm saying whatever you were told sounds very suspect. Because to prove tampering, you'd have to prove Hayes was negotiating as a conduit to another NHL team. An NHL player telling a prospect on another team that they hated the organization, city or whatever else does not constitute tampering.

This seems way more like something that happened when the Flyers wouldn't burn his ELC last year by playing him in 10 games while they were out of a playoff spot and his NCAA season was already over. If he was under the impression that was going to be the deal with the Flyers, and they backed off on that, that is a way more likely reason for a dispute between a prospect and team to reach this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad