Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I could the Jets fishing for Necas as a potential 2C after the trade request came out. And Necas thought Raleigh was better than Winnipeg. So you go back to the drawing board.

I do wonder if Yager is Ehlers replacement.
I feel like Chevy is banking on a career year for Nik, with this future contract dependent on this season. Namestnikov might have something extra in the tank too.

Maybe you double down now and get at least 5 years out of Perfetti in the next contract.

Training with Scheif and Morrissey, you're looking at a core guy potentially, with Samberg being the next investment, and there is still room to maneuver.
Necas as 2C?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The rumour around the Jets trading Ehlers seems to come after Dave Pagnotta claimed Ehlers wasn't interested in signing a contract extension with the Jets. According to Scott Billeck and the Winnipeg Sun, "[a] source close to Ehlers wouldn’t confirm that to the Sun, only saying he’s got one year left on his deal and they’ll see where it goes" which doesn't exactly fill one with confidence of Ehlers re-upping.

Now, the Jets may be planning to just use him as an own rental or are hoping they can convince him eventually during the season.
The Jets have never used a significant player as an own rental past the TDL. They have either re-signed players before the start of the season or before the TDL or they have traded them before the start of the season or sometime prior to the TDL. Ehlers could be the first but I doubt it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Jets have never used a significant player as an own rental past the TDL. They have either re-signed players before the start of the season or before the TDL or they have traded them before the start of the season or sometime prior to the TDL. Ehlers could be the first but I doubt it.

It will be very interesting to follow this storyline if we enter the year and he's still unsigned.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Possibly, but I still don't see why he'd reup with us given his treatment here.
This gets way overplayed. My guess he is just fine with his treatment. He is treated as the 2nd most important forward. With a lack of a real #2 center he is primarily asked to drive the 2nd line and be the main piece on the #2 PP. Putting him with Schiefele makes for our strongest line, but not our 2 best lines. IMO players realize more than posters that talent needs to be spread out. As long as the organization ponies up I think he signs.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This gets way overplayed. My guess he is just fine with his treatment. He is treated as the 2nd most important forward. With a lack of a real #2 center he is primarily asked to drive the 2nd line and be the main piece on the #2 PP. Putting him with Schiefele makes for our strongest line, but not our 2 best lines. IMO players realize more than posters that talent needs to be spread out. As long as the organization ponies up I think he signs.
Yeah I think as long as we give him an offer befitting of the #2 he'd consider re-upping with us

Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

In what way is he treated as the 2nd most important forward? He's like 6th or 7th yearly in ice time and has been stuck on the second pp unit. I'm sure players realize that you have to spread talent to some extent, but pp time and minutes drive points which drives dollars and his usage is going to have a major impact on his market value and thus contract. It's a career first for these guys and his usage here will cost him millions. Also given his usage and numbers why does Chevy pony up big bucks?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
In what way is he treated as the 2nd most important forward? He's like 6th or 7th yearly in ice time and has been stuck on the second pp unit. I'm sure players realize that you have to spread talent to some extent, but pp time and minutes drive points which drives dollars and his usage is going to have a major impact on his market value and thus contract. It's a career first for these guys and his usage here will cost him millions. Also given his usage and numbers why does Chevy pony up big bucks?
But if you account for # of shifts and not shift length, Ehlers is up their with the other top forwards. Ehlers comes off faster after gaining entry than most of our other top forwards. As he has said himself he likes being the main focus on the 2nd PP. As long as the Jets offer him a contract that fits with his role I think he re-signs. I don't think he is as ego driven as a lot of other players, and understands his importance to the team. There are many players in the league that sacrifice offensive numbers for team success and are acknowledged for it and paid accordingly,

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But if you account for # of shifts and not shift length, Ehlers is up their with the other top forwards. Ehlers comes off faster after gaining entry than most of our other top forwards. As he has said himself he likes being the main focus on the 2nd PP. As long as the Jets offer him a contract that fits with his role I think he re-signs. I don't think he is as ego driven as a lot of other players, and understands his importance to the team. There are many players in the league that sacrifice offensive numbers for team success and are acknowledged for it and paid accordingly,

We shall see.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Depends on what you consider significant. Myers signed a 30M deal (2nd largest for ufa dmen his ufa-year that I could find) post Jets and was 20+ mins a night here his final year. Dillon I'd consider a pretty notable piece to the top 4D group as well. then at fwd there was Tanev who was part of the TLC line which was a big deal, and Frolik who was a top 6er but I'd say lower-end for sure. Edit: Frolik appears to be the second largest ufa Fwd contract his ufa-year.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Depends on what you consider significant. Myers signed a 30M deal (2nd largest for ufa dmen his ufa-year that I could find) post Jets and was 20+ mins a night here his final year. Dillon I'd consider a pretty notable piece to the top 4D group as well. then at fwd there was Tanev who was part of the TLC line which was a big deal, and Frolik who was a top 6er but I'd say lower-end for sure. Edit: Frolik appears to be the second largest ufa Fwd contract his ufa-year.
More significant then the players you listed.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

When have they ever before had a significant player refuse to extend when they were in a PO spot, or race?

If he won't sign, there is nothing Jets can do about that. Are they going to trade him at the TDL with them in a PO spot? And him having a career year (maybe)? I doubt that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Putting him with Scheifele DOES make for our 2 best lines. Connor scores more, plays better away from Scheif.

Scoring totals pay off at contract time. Jets treatment of Ehlers limits his scoring numbers and has probably cost him millions in career earnings.

Maybe he is just fine with that. Maybe he is fine with always being the first player criticized or demoted.

If they offer enough $$$ he might take that as sufficient respect and the financial reward he is due. How much might that take and how much do you think Chevy will pay? Will those 2 numbers coincide?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

When did he say he prefers being the main focus on PP2 (which gets little TOI)?
I remember him turning down a spot on PP1 because he was going to be given a role he was not suited to. That's not the same as preferring PP2.

He may be less ego driven than some. I don't think he is ego free.

I think if there was no will by the Jets Ehlers would have moved in and around the draft and free agency run up.

I think if the will was there on both sides he would have been extended by now. And I don't think they would have been shopping him for Necas, which was probably the deal if Necas had been willing to extend here.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
When have they ever before had a significant player refuse to extend when they were in a PO spot, or race?

If he won't sign, there is nothing Jets can do about that. Are they going to trade him at the TDL with them in a PO spot? And him having a career year (maybe)? I doubt that.
Who is refusing to sign?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Putting him with Scheifele DOES make for our 2 best lines. Connor scores more, plays better away from Scheif.

Scoring totals pay off at contract time. Jets treatment of Ehlers limits his scoring numbers and has probably cost him millions in career earnings.

Maybe he is just fine with that. Maybe he is fine with always being the first player criticized or demoted.

If they offer enough $$$ he might take that as sufficient respect and the financial reward he is due. How much might that take and how much do you think Chevy will pay? Will those 2 numbers coincide?
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Ehlers and Connor signing long term were watershed moments in Chevy's management of the Jets. Now they are a year apart from UFA status, and the Jets likely only go with one, in the long term investment of +30 players. Maybe neither realistically, if there is no appetite to play for a team that can't get out of the 1st round of the playoffs.

Might not even be about money for Nik. Might just be a change of scenery. I mean if you could sign anywhere, very few people would choose Winnipeg. There has to be something to keep you here or coming back.

Jets family had an active offseason. KC, as well as Dylan Samberg got married. De Melos, Appletons and Pionks added to their families. We'll see how that affects their futures.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
When did he say he prefers being the main focus on PP2 (which gets little TOI)?
I remember him turning down a spot on PP1 because he was going to be given a role he was not suited to. That's not the same as preferring PP2.

He may be less ego driven than some. I don't think he is ego free.

I think if the will was there on both sides he would have been extended by now. And I don't think they would have been shopping him for Necas, which was probably the deal if Necas had been willing to extend here.
We don't know if they were shopping Ehlers for Necas, that is pure speculation as nothing was ever reported directly about that. Also the Jets have made most of their big pending UFA signings later than this. Helly and Schiefele were signed on October 9th last season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

The evidence would suggest that Ehlers is the winger that is the least dependent on his center for production and drives his line no matter who he plays with. In that situation most teams would want to separate their #1 center from their winger that least needs to play with him. I very much doubt that Ehlers numbers would be much different playing more with Schiefele.

Just to add to this I'm not advocating Schiefele Connor combination, just making the argument that Ehlers is the winger least in need of playing with a #1 center. Actually the evidence strongly suggest that Perfetti should be given more opportunity with Schiefele as their numbers together are very good.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

If the Jets are in a PO position I highly doubt they're trading out of ehlers, or pionk, or any other pending ufa. teams hardly ever do that. May not be significant names, but players in key roles (ie: top6ish fwds or top d) have been ultimately used as own-rentals in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad