Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread VI | 2017 PGA Tour Season: Here comes Cantlay!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Probably the only time you'll see a regular event near even par is when the Canadian Open is at Shaughnessey. Way better than the awful Glen Abbey course they use most years.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Probably the only time you'll see a regular event near even par is when the Canadian Open is at Shaughnessey. Way better than the awful Glen Abbey course they use most years.

I think people have too much of an obsession with scores in some cases; par is more of an arbitrary number than ever before. I don't care to see mid or high 20 under par scores winning tournaments on some of these weaker event fields but it seems to be how the game is trending. How the course is set up is way more important in my opinion and a lot of these courses could easily have the stimps rolling higher or the hole placements more difficult and less attackable on the greens. Even when it comes to the rough, more could be done to punish wayward shots and place a premium on finding the fairway although that's obviously a little more complex depending on the course.

I think for regular events anything under par to about 20-under still seems to be the norm which isn't outrageous and the majors are obviously rota dependent. It would be unfathomable and be a detriment to the game if every, or even the majority of regular tour stops had a winning score of level par and diminish the game. Only way to do that with the quality of players on tour is gimmick up the courses.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
These courses are way too easy. I'd like to see some level par winning scores.

To me the season doesn't start for real until they get to Florida. Most of these courses just make the tournaments feel like a farce.

Pebble is fun but the coverage on Saturday is an utter joke. I just do not care about the celebs. Other than that I can't wait till they get to Florida. Then you have the Masters right around the corner.

Jan 3, 2012
Tiger signs with Taylormade for everything but putter. Will use Nike Irons for now, but working to develop a set with TM

Jan 3, 2012
You seem to have a knack for hyperbole. Whether it's thinking that Spieth should be 4 or 5 shots better every round he plays (every golfer can say that) or otherwise. Some of Tiger's scrambling around the greens has been excellent today... :laugh:

His scrambling has been but everything outside 100 yards has been right

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
His scrambling has been but everything outside 100 yards has been right

And his putting. And yes, I have managed to notice the right miss.

Considering it's his first competitive round on an actual golf course that isn't a birdie fest freakshow and he's shooting level par on the North Course while being a clown off the tee as well as with his irons is encouraging. But there is a lot to fix, still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad